Tranny blew - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tranny blew

Well it finally happened, after 22 years something major blew on my Jeep. Went on a family camping/wheeling trip last weekend in the Ocala National Forest and on the way back home 5th gear started feeling "weird" through the shifter handle. A few stoplights later I lost the ability to go into 3rd gear. Gas station up ahead, I pull in and see a trail of fluid ending in a puddle. Had it flat-bedded to a repair shop and they diagnosed the tranny with a destroyed input shaft bearing. 158k miles, and I treated it rather roughly in the woods (sand) over the years.

I left it behind in Ormond Beach and my son drove my wife and I home in his Cherokee, so I'm getting this fixed from out of town. The repair shop said nobody rebuilds, so they sourced a 90k mi used AX15 and wanted $1450 for it. I nixed that and had Advanced Adapters drop ship their new 26-AX15 to the shop for only a couple hundred more.

Point of this long-winded story, I had to work fast not a lot of time to search options - what's the opinion of the 26-AX15 up here? For the first time in 22 years I'm getting tempted by a new vehicle (the Gladiator), but I still want a few more years out of my TJ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Long time no see. That's not bad for a 22 year run. Smart move getting a new trans. It should be good for another 22 years now. I'd love to have a Gladiator, but I'm poor and would be scared to ever take it offroad and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
would keep the Baster..you know over the one you dont. new is great but the payments and INS and tags in two years would buy that trans and a new engine and last like said another 22 years. in 7 you could have a collection of Tjs.............

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, what about those who keep saying manual transmissions never have problems that would keep you from driving it home? . J/K hope you get another 22 years and 128k miles out of the new one too.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Boogie. I'm up here nearly everyday, but I don't have much to say up against the real experts up here.

Jerry - that tranny did get me out of the woods and back into town, I'm thankful for that. Close enough for a free tow to the recommended repair shop. I'm not complaining too much, although two more years would have been nice.

Doc - payments, that's the thing. We are 100% debt free right now. Not even a mortgage. I really want to keep it that way, but damn that Rubicon Gladiator. Up until that thing, literally nothing else on the market called my name. $57k configured as I want it, ouch.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Hey, Boogie. I'm up here nearly everyday, but I don't have much to say up against the real experts up here.

Jerry - that tranny did get me out of the woods and back into town, I'm thankful for that. Close enough for a free tow to the recommended repair shop. I'm not complaining too much, although two more years would have been nice.

Doc - payments, that's the thing. We are 100% debt free right now. Not even a mortgage. I really want to keep it that way, but damn that Rubicon Gladiator. Up until that thing, literally nothing else on the market called my name. $57k configured as I want it, ouch.
I miss your avatar. I'm sure my brother will buy a new Gladiator. He paid cash for his 2015 JK. It now has a whopping 8,500 miles on it. Maybe he will give it to me when he "upgrades" and donates to poor people like me. Don't let those Rubi Gladiators temp you. They look great, but check out the offroad vids on them stock. They drag more than a Caddy loaded with a family of 5 over a speed bump at a Walmart parking lot. Great stock, expensive, on road vehicles..
Attached Thumbnails
Gladiator.jpg  
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in