Track Bar/Axle Centering Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Track Bar/Axle Centering Question

I just installed a new track bar on my 2006 LJ Rubi. My question is not about what is the best track bar, so I will not identify it, as I don't think the brand is relevant to my question. With all the adjustment taken in, one tire is 3/16 further from the frame than the one on the other side, meaning I need to make the track bar 3/32 shorter to center the axle. That cannot be done with this track bar. My question is whether this is close enough or do I need to get a different track bar that is a bit shorter?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why isn't it possible to shorten? You don't want to identify bar, but that is necessary. Need to know what ends you have. Depending on why you can't shorten it (e.g. bottoming a shank on adjustable end; running out of thread on bar; etc.) the answers are different.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 PM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did you try moving it 1.5/16 instead? in all seriousness why can't you adjust it? Is it that you can only turn 180deg on the heim joint? If so how much does that equate to?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like my reply I tried on my phone did not post. All the adjustment has been used, the excess bolt length has been cut off and the joint is fully threaded onto the bar, so there simply is no more adjustment available unless I were to start cutting the female side down, which I do not particularly want to do. My question is not how to shorten the bar. I suspect if I could turn it just one more revolution, I would be where I need to be, but alas, I cannot. Let's assume I am right in this assessment. Is 3/32 too far to be off? If it is, I will go to the ends of the earth to fix it. If not, I will let it go. That is what I am asking about.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMWHV View Post
Looks like my reply I tried on my phone did not post. All the adjustment has been used, the excess bolt length has been cut off and the joint is fully threaded onto the bar, so there simply is no more adjustment available unless I were to start cutting the female side down, which I do not particularly want to do. My question is not how to shorten the bar. I suspect if I could turn it just one more revolution, I would be where I need to be, but alas, I cannot. Let's assume I am right in this assessment. Is 3/32 too far to be off? If it is, I will go to the ends of the earth to fix it. If not, I will let it go. That is what I am asking about.
Sounds like a chop saw will solve your problem. As to your question, being off center is not an issue per se if it doesn't cause other issues. You have to decide whether any problems caused by it. You have your jeep in front of you.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
3/16 is didly squat in the big picture.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"3/16 is didly squat in the big picture."

"You have to decide whether any problems caused by it."

Thanks for the input. The geometry looks good, it appears everything will flex without hitting anything else, the bump stops and joust bumpers are in order. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have tried to read a lot and think I have done everything right short of getting the axle perfectly centered. If there are problems that could be caused by being a little off, what might they be? Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I am not trying to be a jerk. I have read endless threads about the merits and faults of various track bars. I made my decision based on my perception of my needs and resources, so I was hoping to avoid a lot of "throw that track bar in the trash and go get a brand X instead" replies. Cutting the female side of the bar will remove threads which are currently engaging the male bolt, which will remove some strength. Not sure that having say 7/8 of an inch of threads engaged rather than an inch is significant though. Cutting off extra bolt length just took off bolt that went beyond the threads in the female side, so I could see no impact from doing that. Trying to balance the risks and rewards.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMWHV View Post
"3/16 is didly squat in the big picture."

"You have to decide whether any problems caused by it."

Thanks for the input. The geometry looks good, it appears everything will flex without hitting anything else, the bump stops and joust bumpers are in order. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have tried to read a lot and think I have done everything right short of getting the axle perfectly centered. If there are problems that could be caused by being a little off, what might they be? Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I am not trying to be a jerk. I have read endless threads about the merits and faults of various track bars. I made my decision based on my perception of my needs and resources, so I was hoping to avoid a lot of "throw that track bar in the trash and go get a brand X instead" replies. Cutting the female side of the bar will remove threads which are currently engaging the male bolt, which will remove some strength. Not sure that having say 7/8 of an inch of threads engaged rather than an inch is significant though. Cutting off extra bolt length just took off bolt that went beyond the threads in the female side, so I could see no impact from doing that. Trying to balance the risks and rewards.
I've bought the less expensive track bars (RC, Zone, Black Diamond...etc) and never had any problems with adjustments. I've also just drilled another hole. I wouldn't worry about 3/16". It won't cause any problems.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

3/16ths off will be fine. Nearly everyone that runs a 2 inch lift is off by that much. It won't cause any handling issues at all.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in