Tow Bar Mounting Bracket Fab? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Tow Bar Mounting Bracket Fab?

First off, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct forum.
This is what I came up with as a mounting bracket for attaching the tow bar brackets to the front of my TJ. It is built from 3"x3"x1/4" angle. The same material was used to box in 4 different sections that I will use to mount Aux lights to. The ends are also braced and welded for extra strength. It sits directly on top of the OEM bumper and is mounted to the frame with the two top bumper OEM bolts. I will be attaching D-rings to the lower OEM bumper bolt and to the front end cross member for securing of the safety tow chains.
Do you see any reason this set-up will not work or provide the needed strength for towing the TJ behind the motor home.
FWIW...I also have purchased an Aux tow brake system with a brake away system in the event of the worse case scenerio.

Attached Thumbnails
P7010002.jpg   P7010005.jpg   P7010001.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Yeah, I know, it is pretty much a street Jeep.....and yes those are black side nerf bars....IE: wife has short legs. And the Grandson needed a jungle gym to climb on.
I just bought it a few weeks ago for the primary reason to pull behind our Motorhome. The price was right, it was clean, 1 Original Owner with all papers to confirm its history. The Grandkids love it and it makes me smile.
When the right Rubicon comes along I will replace this TJ, but in the mean time I will keep a grin from ear to ear every time I drive it.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
BoatCop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the brackets, I have the exact same towbar set-up on my '01.

I removed the front rubber bumpers and drilled and bolted the brackets in the same place the "bumpers" were. (backing plates used)

Just got back from a trip north. Pulled the Jeep behind the MH for 2,500 miles. Towed like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
JPwnch.jpg  

Alan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Wrangler TJ
2009 Chevy Tahoe
2007 Ford Expedition (Work Truck)
1999 Fleetwood Southwind 34' MH

post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fl...ind-rv-893791/

JEEPING .....The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowy heading nowhere and taking all day to do it.....
2001 TJ 31"s 4.0L Auto , Blue , Soft Top , Full Doors. Home made BB 1 3/4" front 1" back...quick discos
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yours looks fine. Used my D-ring tabs and made some plates to connect my towbar to it.

2006 LJ Claytonized
1999 TJ stockish
1987 J20

Tags
fabrication , modification , tow bar , mounting , bracket , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in