Torque Convertor Lock-Up Manual Control Kit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Torque Convertor Lock-Up Manual Control Kit

Anyone make one of these for our 42rle? I'd love to be able to unlock the TCC in OD.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=42068

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why? Driving with the torque converter unlocked will cause a loss of mpg and due to slippage, the transmission will definitely run hotter.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

definitely the fastest way to burn up your trans fluid.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
ssquier92

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im not familiar with the jeep auto's but I would imagine he wants this so he could lock the converter while the shifter is in the 1 position. Maybe jeep does this automatically but I did this mod on my 2005 cummins for towing. I doubt anyone would put in a switch to run unlocked all the time.. Read the link.

TC might not be electronically controlled on the TJ's Id assume is why Ive never seen anything on here about it, or I feel it would be a more popular mod.

2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

post #5 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
Im not familiar with the jeep auto's but I would imagine he wants this so he could lock the converter while the shifter is in the 1 position. Maybe jeep does this automatically but I did this mod on my 2005 cummins for towing. I doubt anyone would put in a switch to run unlocked all the time.. Read the link.

TC might not be electronically controlled on the TJ's Id assume is why Ive never seen anything on here about it, or I feel it would be a more popular mod.
he did say he wants to unlock it in overdrive. not lock it in lower gears.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #6 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Why? Driving with the torque converter unlocked will cause a loss of mpg and due to slippage, the transmission will definitely run hotter.
The 42rle stays locked even under load so its actually worse on mpg...I can have the pedal 3/4 in od and it will just continue to bog down instead of releasing the tcc like it should. At about 85% pedal it will violently kick to unlocked third. Very dumb tranny so the more control I have the better.
post #7 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are describing how the Overdrive works but not the lockup torque converter. I have the same transmission and can feel the locking torque converter unlock when I give it a little bit of gas. It is the Overdrive that I have trouble getting into with even heavy pressure on the gas pedal.

post #8 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
ssquier92

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
he did say he wants to unlock it in overdrive. not lock it in lower gears.
Valid. Just clicked on the link lol. Amazing what you find when you read a whole post huh? Haha.

If its bogging in OD, hit the OD switch to turn it off, regear, or deal with it. You don't want to burn up your converter.

If my jeeps bogging in 4th going up a hill, I dont halfway depress the clutch, I shift to 3rd.

Same scenario here.

2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

post #9 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You are describing how the Overdrive works but not the lockup torque converter. I have the same transmission and can feel the locking torque converter unlock when I give it a little bit of gas. It is the Overdrive that I have trouble getting into with even heavy pressure on the gas pedal.
I thought you had the 3 speed auto? Mine definitely doesn't unlock in od...if I tap the brake or even let off the gas it releases for a split second but then immediately locks again regardless of how much gas I give it. My maxima with a very similar 4 speed auto works like a dream...it unlocks in od with a little gas or if it senses more torque/rpms are needed due to a hill...sorry but the import engineers win again.
post #10 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banged View Post
I thought you had the 3 speed auto? Mine definitely doesn't unlock in od...if I tap the brake or even let off the gas it releases for a split second but then immediately locks again regardless of how much gas I give it. My maxima with a very similar 4 speed auto works like a dream...it unlocks in od with a little gas or if it senses more torque/rpms are needed due to a hill...sorry but the import engineers win again.
Put a switch on your brake lights. Or next time you find the coverter locked when you don't want it to be, lightly apply the brakes just enough to trip the brake light switch. That should unlock it.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #11 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Put a switch on your brake lights. Or next time you find the coverter locked when you don't want it to be, lightly apply the brakes just enough to trip the brake light switch. That should unlock it.
Ive tried tricking it by applying brake but no luck getting it to unlock for more then a second. There must be a way to wire a switch and I'm surprised no one has figured it out...those 300-500 rpms would be gold for anyone with this tranny. Jerry brings up a good point about additional heat/wear but the tranny unlocks 3rd all day long (below 50mph) so it can't be that bad for it. If the engineers were worried about heat they could have allowed unlocking in od until the tranny went into hot mode. Sorry to rant but its such an annoying tranny...funny thing is I have the power...I can hold 75mph in locked 3rd up hills at 4k rpms but I don't have a good cruising speed...if I try to drive 60-65 it bogs on hills...those 300-500 rpms would make such a difference.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

anyway, that transmission sucks dirty monkey balls.
either turn od off like everyone else who doesn't regear has to when you need the kick down to accelerate, or regear.

there's nothing wrong with your trans, that's just how it works.

post #13 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to mention unlocking the torque converter should not raise the RPMs anywhere near the 300-500 RPMs the OP said. If it's more than 150 RPMs or so I'd be surprised... locking/unlocking the torque converter only causes a very subtle/minor change in engine RPMs.

post #14 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not to mention unlocking the torque converter should not raise the RPMs anywhere near the 300-500 RPMs the OP said. If it's more than 150 RPMs or so I'd be surprised... locking/unlocking the torque converter only causes a very subtle/minor change in engine RPMs.
Can you check yours and see if the torque converter will lock with the brake light on?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #15 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Can you check yours and see if the torque converter will lock with the brake light on?
Keeping the brake on slightly does keep the torque converter from locking up on mine and in od it is between 300-500 rpms (seems to be closer to the 150 rpms Jerry said when I do it with the od button on in 3rd so maybe that's what he sees on his 3 speed auto). Anyone have a wiring diagram of how the PCM/TCM is getting the signal that the brake is being applied? I need to research this...for my highway driving it would be a huge improvement and I would gladly install a tranny cooler with gauge to monitor heat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in