Too many gear ratio opinions - JeepForum.com
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
skidattter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Too many gear ratio opinions

Daily Driver 2003 Jeep TJ. 4.0L 5spd 3.73. 2" lift 33s. M/C Fenders

My mechanic is leaning towards me running 4.10 gears. Everything I read says 4.56. Im not sure which to choose. I respect his idea, but Im not sure what would be best.

I daily drive this. Couple times a month I am on the highway, every other day Im on local backroads.
I tow a 1,600lb camper trailer also with it, on highway & mountain dirt back roads & pipe line roads.
I go "real wheeling" only maybe 4-5 times a year

Can anyone give me an idea what to choose, & give me concrete evidence on why to choose?

skidattter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidattter View Post
Daily Driver 2003 Jeep TJ. 4.0L 5spd 3.73. 2" lift 33s. M/C Fenders

My mechanic is leaning towards me running 4.10 gears. Everything I read says 4.56. Im not sure which to choose. I respect his idea, but Im not sure what would be best.
Don't listen to your mechanic. 4.10 works fine for V8 Chevys and Fords but not with the 4.0L for 33's. 20 years ago I made the mistake of not listening to the many recommendations of 4.56 for 33's with the 5-speed and went with 4.10 instead. I realized that had been a big mistake within just a day or two after having the 4.10 gears installed. The engine was lugging too easily with the 4.10 gearing and 33" tires, I was constantly having to downshift from 5th to 4th for even very minor highway grades. Go for 4.56 for sure, that combination is ideal. Besides, it's always better to be slightly overgeared than undergeared... not that 4.56 is even slightly overgeared for 33's.
fxrsliberty likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is online now  
post #3 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 04:45 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 38,196
Going from 3.73 to 4.10 would be a huge waste of money. If you're positive you will never go larger than 33s, go with 4.56. Otherwise jump to 4.88s. I ran 4.56 with 32s and a 32rh auto and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
TheBoogieman is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I ran 4.56 with 32s and a 32rh auto and loved it.
That might be a bit confusing for the OP since that's 3-speed automatic and the OP has a 5-speed manual transmission. Apples and oranges where axle ratio recommendations go.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is online now  
post #5 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 05:02 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,878
Let me throw another wrench in the spokes, 4.27. Perfect for 33s IMO, but Dana/Spicer is the only manufacturer I believe.
CSP is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 05:04 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 38,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That might be a bit confusing for the OP since that's 3-speed automatic and the OP has a 5-speed manual transmission. Apples and oranges where axle ratio recommendations go.
I liked it overgeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Let me throw another wrench in the spokes, 4.27. Perfect for 33s IMO
Not many would agree since too many consistently recommend and install 4.56, not 4.27. Your Profile is completely empty, are you running 33's, 5-speed, and 4.27 gears with the 4.0L in a TJ?

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is online now  
post #8 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Patuxent River
Posts: 14,309
One other variable is the 33's.

Some are tall 31's while others are closer to 34's.

The 33's could be skinny (33x.9.5) or wide (33x13.5)

Some dinky 33's All Terrain's and some wide, tall 33's MT's or boggers.

These variables contribute to what works well with various gear ratios since tire weight and other items play a factor.
Joe Dillard is online now  
post #9 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
skidattter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
One other variable is the 33's.

Some are tall 31's while others are closer to 34's.

The 33's could be skinny (33x.9.5) or wide (33x13.5)

Some dinky 33's All Terrain's and some wide, tall 33's MT's or boggers.

These variables contribute to what works well with various gear ratios since tire weight and other items play a factor.

There 33x12.50x15 duratracs on steelies.

This mechanic has built a few Jeeps so I try to take his word on a lot of things..
skidattter is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
skidattter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't listen to your mechanic. 4.10 works fine for V8 Chevys and Fords but not with the 4.0L for 33's. 20 years ago I made the mistake of not listening to the many recommendations of 4.56 for 33's with the 5-speed and went with 4.10 instead. I realized that had been a big mistake within just a day or two after having the 4.10 gears installed. The engine was lugging too easily with the 4.10 gearing and 33" tires, I was constantly having to downshift from 5th to 4th for even very minor highway grades. Go for 4.56 for sure, that combination is ideal. Besides, it's always better to be slightly overgeared than undergeared... not that 4.56 is even slightly overgeared for 33's.
Any idea what RPMS and top speed ill be looking at on 4.56?
Im leaning towards the 4.56, but I'm told "the 4.10s will be much better on a highway, but the 4.56 would be better offroad, but suffer on HWY"

I don't really ever go above 70mph on highway..
skidattter is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Patuxent River
Posts: 14,309
Plug in numbers into a gear ratio calculator and you'll see what sort of results you can expect.
Joe Dillard is online now  
post #12 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidattter View Post
Any idea what RPMS and top speed ill be looking at on 4.56?
Im leaning towards the 4.56, but I'm told "the 4.10s will be much better on a highway, but the 4.56 would be better offroad, but suffer on HWY"

I don't really ever go above 70mph on highway..
It's on the highway where you'd appreciate the 4.56 gearing far more than 4.10. As already said above it was on the highway where I figured out my 4.10 gears were not enough for 33's. Either is fine offroad, it's on the highway where 4.10 is not quite enough gear for 33's

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is online now  
post #13 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 PM
RLD831
Registered User
 
RLD831's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 1,577
I have a 2004 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. It has 4.10 gears and 31.6" tires. It feels perfect, so I would definitely go with lower gears for 33s.
RLD831 is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 10:12 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not many would agree since too many consistently recommend and install 4.56, not 4.27. Your Profile is completely empty, are you running 33's, 5-speed, and 4.27 gears with the 4.0L in a TJ?
Not many know about 4.27s Jerry.

Maybe you're not aware that one doesn't have to have the same rig that the OP has to understand gearing and how it works. Yes, we all know you're the TJ god, but good grief, lets not get presumptuous.....

My profile/vehicles have nothing to do with the OPs vehicle or question.

For all I know they may not be available for the crush sleeve D30/D44. I've only had them on those that use shims.
CSP is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 04-05-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
skidattter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831 View Post
I have a 2004 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. It has 4.10 gears and 31.6" tires. It feels perfect, so I would definitely go with lower gears for 33s.
That would make sense, from what I have read, the Rubicons came stock with 31s & 4.10gears.
skidattter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
What gear ratio and Brand? Redsox2013 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 4 02-08-2019 10:32 PM
Dana 60 What is my gear ratio based on Ring gear stampings?? MMarchi Jeep CJ Forum 2 01-24-2019 06:01 PM
To Find Gear Ratio rsurran TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 51 07-12-2018 09:09 PM
Need to find gear ratio, no spider gears fastblack TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 13 06-28-2018 02:44 PM
Help!!! Leslielou77 Grand Cherokee General Discussion 8 04-29-2018 07:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome