TJ vs LJ - JeepForum.com
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
ToMchFn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ vs LJ

What's up folks. I use top have a 04' tj X and loved it for the short time I had it. Ive been thinking about getting another jeep and curious of pros and cons of a TJ vs LJ? Other than the obvious longer frame and body is there really any other differences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wheelbase is longer on the LJ. My '02 TJ Sport has the D44 option (most have D35), but all LJs have the D44. That is about all I know.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #3 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your X model had a D35 rear axle and 3.07 or 3.73 gears. LJ has D44 rear with 3.73 gears. Some have rear disc brakes and some don't. ALL 04' LJs are automatic. A TJ with a D44 is the same, other than the extra trunk space. I personally don't think they look right unless lifted on 35s. I almost bought one years ago. The top was ripped and the dealer wouldn't pay for a new one, so I passed. They are expensive for a quality top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 11:05 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
i have had both.
i like the smaller tj in tight trails.
i like the extra interior space of the lj.

i agree with boogie, the lj looks weird with less than 35" tires.
TheBoogieman likes this.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #5 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM
LeeMasterGT

2006 TJ Wrangler 

LJ cargo space is obviously excellent, when compared to the TJ. But for the price tag of a nice one, I just don't see why one wouldn't pick up a JK. Newer, with all the same benefits the LJ offers, and the added benefit of 2 more doors. If one wants the 97-06 model of Wrangler, I think the TJ is the best choice. Cheaper and easier to find one in good shape.

That's the conclusion I've come to as I've been tempted several times to trade my TJR for an LJ.

Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
LJ cargo space is obviously excellent, when compared to the TJ. But for the price tag of a nice one, I just don't see why one wouldn't pick up a JK. Newer, with all the same benefits the LJ offers
Jks older than 2012 have POS engines. 2012 and newer have bigger price tags. My brother has money and paid cash for his new 2016 4 door JK and spent a fortune in it. I'm poor and bashing my now 4 door XJ makes more sense than bashing a $35,000 JK. SSDD to me. Covid 19 outbreak made me have to sell my Rubicon, so don't ask me how I feel about China and their bat eating habits. Thank God for the LGBT community. 4 more years of Dems crying. Nancy Pelosi will probably retire for good, when she gets the virus.

p.s. Walmart, please restock your ammo aisles, I have plenty of toilet paper. Thanks Mods.
Attached Thumbnails
LGBT.jpg  
jbrubi05 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM
LeeMasterGT

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jks older than 2012 have POS engines. 2012 and newer have bigger price tags. My brother has money and paid cash for his new 2016 4 door JK and spent a fortune in it. I'm poor and bashing my now 4 door XJ makes more sense than bashing a $35,000 JK. SSDD to me. Covid 19 outbreak made me have to sell my Rubicon, so don't ask me how I feel about China and their bat eating habits. Thank God for the LGBT community. 4 more years of Dems crying. Nancy Pelosi will probably retire for good, when she gets the virus.

p.s. Walmart, please restock your ammo aisles, I have plenty of toilet paper. Thanks Mods.
I agree that you'd look for newer than 2012. I guess everything is based on location, but I just saw yesterday an LJ listed for $17,500. I would imagine a stock 2012 in my neighborhood wouldn't be much more than that. As cool as they are, people think LJs are made of gold.

Even if you upped the budget to $25K, pricing above most LJs obviously, you'd get a decently new (2015-2016?) JK, low miles, clean slate to build off. and then you've got a 10 year newer vehicle. I know 200k miles don't bother some people... But for $5K more and 40k miles? I'll spend a little extra now and not have to do as much maintenance!

Love the LGBT quote

Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 01:20 PM
hokahay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post

Hey Boogie!

How many times are you going to sell that Rubicon?

No worries here, I have enough Beer , Bourbon , ammo, Guns and stuff for a couple 2 or 3 Armageddons.

Stay safe and GodSpeed! Hope you buy her back again. Did ya sell it to your brother?

Ok, back on topic. Me I prefer my TJ. She turned 17 on the 1st. Long WB defeats the whole big idea.

And Don't get me started on the 4 doors. I tell those dudes they got too many doors. Then I point at mine. I say, "As far as that goes so does mine!". To defuse the situation. I usually have my full doors on. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Image-1.jpg  
post #9 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 02:25 PM
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

All you guys saying you would rather have a TJ then an LJ are just jealous you don't have an LJ!
UltdRubi and RDBills like this.
post #10 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJack View Post
All you guys saying you would rather have a TJ then an LJ are just jealous you don't have an LJ!
my biggest regret is not starting with an LJ. the wheelbase for climbing is enough of a benefit, plus they look great with 35's and a frameless soft top
UltdRubi likes this.

post #11 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 PM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I haven't done the math on what it would cost but you could always buy a TJ and make it into a TJ-6 like some have done.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #12 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 04:12 PM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Who says LJ's don't look right? I think the lines are perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
On the beach at Samoa Dunes.jpg  
UltdRubi, LeeMasterGT and OJack like this.

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #13 of 43 Old 04-04-2020, 04:38 PM
DanJeep21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I picked up my 06 LJ in December for $11,500. 120k miles, manual, dual top and all stock. Ive been eyeing these for awhile. I have Have two boys and they are both growing like weeds. The extra room helps quite a bit.

I’ll agree the in stock trim they look a bit odd. Then again, any wrangler in stock trim looks a bit odd. I’m running 33s on about 3.5” of life and it looks a lot better now.
UltdRubi likes this.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

As far as looks go- I agree with most folks here that unless they have a bit of a lift and larger tires, that the look somewhat "odd "
I use to want one , solely because of the extra room, but the more I weighed the the things that I didnt like about them, I settled on the TJ and very glad that I did

And you asked about differences
1) Cost- Most folks selling them think that they are "RARE " ( they dont know the meaning of rare , 'cause they aen't ) & here in my state they usually want about 5K more
2) Engine- I "think ", not 100 % sure that the '04-'06's have a bit of a different engine in them and can be prone to problems that pre '04's are not-

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #15 of 43 Old 04-05-2020, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
ToMchFn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the responses. I didn't know about the Dana 44 being standard that is definitely a pro for sure. I agree they look odd till they are lifted. Still can't make up my mind it's probably just gonna come down to which one I find for the best deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in