TJ Unlimited options and opinions? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

LJ Unlimited options and opinions?

I'm considering trading my 2004 Rocky Mountain TJ for a LJ Unlimited. It will fit my growing family better and my sales territory (I can really use the room).

I really like my TJ and was wondering what people think of the 6 speed tranny or the automatics for the 2004 to 2006 models. Mine has the 5 speed and its been trouble free.

Also what do people think of the 2004 to 2006 Rubicons now that they are getting some mileage. I found an Unlimited LJ Rubicon with a manual in the right price range.

04 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ
Flame Red 4.0L with 5 spd
Dana 44 3.73 rear with Trac-lok
30x9.5x15 GY SA on Alcoa Forged
Red Jeep Club #486

Last edited by canuck_bob; 08-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
AFjeepMan

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '05 with the 42rle auto and I love it...drives great and gets decent gas mileage for an auto. My friend has an '06 with the 6 speed and it shifts smooth and drives great every time I drove it, and he has had it for about a year now and has about 75k+ and still runs great!

2005 Wrangler TJ, 3 1/4" RC lift, Cragar Soft 8's 32" BFG Mud Terrains, Smittybilt SRC D-Ring bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Body Armor Rockcrawler side guards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[_l_,[____],
l----L - OlllllllO-

(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Recoil

1988 MJ Comanche 

I have an 05 Rubicon Unlimited with the six speed and I absolutely love it. The six speed and 4:1 transfer case is good to go up to a 35" tire. No regearing needed. The ride is much better than my old tj and the extra room is just awesome. You wont be disapointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\/ \/ \/

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM
jeepin-gheenoe

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i have the auto (42 RLE) i think its properly called. but i swear its bullet proof...ive pulled many trailers and some so heavy that ive warped my trailer hitch over time! some loads going well over 5k lbs! but it has never acted up, gotten hot, or anything to complain about!

on the hwy it shifts smoothly, and the O/D is really good on gas. ive seen 18+MPG on the hwy.

the down side is the O/D is pain when you get tires that weight alot or are larger than 32inches...trust me i just down sized from 33's...but im running 31s and lovin it!

2005 Wrangler LJ (patriot blue with matching body&fenders like a sahara), auto, D44 rear Limited Slip Diff, D30front open, 3.73, 1 1/2inch RC spacer lift, K&N CAI, 31/10.50 kelly safari tsr A/T's, custom grill guard, warn 3700 winch, 5" KC Apollo long range lights, 1500watt SSL amp pushing a 12 inch kicker CRV sub, Flowmaster 40seriers muffler with custom side exit crome tip and lots of CROME!

Have an LJ and need a hard top...clicky here!

Check out my Jeep and my Gheenoe in
actoin on my youtube Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTJ View Post
While we're at it lets sue the pants off 'em for ever considering using the dana 35!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorange View Post
Your Jeep is a real work horse man! Seems like ive seen at least one picture of it on every page of this forum.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 PM
WILLY348

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I absolutely LOVE my LJ I've had it for.. about 4 1/2 years now (got 'er brand new in 2006). The only thing i would change now is i wish i got the rubicon. Definately go for the rubicon.. you'll love it even more in the end! Even non rubi LJ.. you'll still be in love with it. Nice thing about LJ's is they come standard with the dana 44 in the rear (non rubicon models)

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Bishop Creek

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bought my LJ brand new exactly 5 years ago this week, still love it, six speed is trouble free and shifts very smoothly when you shift it like a truck and not a sports car. With the Unlimited, was able to haul my daughter and her friends around easily, but now that she is in college, I have taken the rear seat out!

ďThis isnít the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. Itís just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.Ē
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've had mine since 04 and it runs great with 75k miles on it and does really well with the automatic tranny on the trail, perfect wheelbase for wheeling. And the extra space is great for hauling gear. The only thing is that the stock non-rubi gearing (3:73) on 33's blows goats.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 AM
skotsour
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm on my second LJ. My first was a 2004 that met it's match in the form of a bridge. My second is a 2006 and I can't say enough good things about it. I have a 2.25" spacer lift and 33x10.5 KM2s and do have to turn the OD off for hills and any type of pickup with the 3:73 gearing. The extra room is great for camping and whatever else you might need to carry.

Tags
lj , tj , wrangler , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in