TJ Tail light issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
TJ Tail light issues

Swapped the led taillights the PO has installed with oem taillights and led fixtures because the lights that were previously on the Jeep had dead leds and were starting to go one by one. So after my install I tested to see if all the functions work and they all work except for my left turn signal. Every time I put my left indicator on the relay Bugs out and clicks many times but the turn signal does not flash.
Headlights on.. rear brake lights turn on and do not turn off and I have no turn signals in the rear
Headlights off.. Brake lights work when brakes are applied but when turn signals are on the hazards blink in the rear
I cleaned my grounds and I checked my fuses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:32 PM
brgmgb

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The early TJ flasher units are not LED compatible. The taillights you removed must have had a diode in them. The easiest fix is to get an LED compatible flasher unit from an auto parts store. I have not done it yet, but they say a 4-pin unit will work in place of the OEM 5-pin unit. The flasher unit is located under the steering wheel.

Bill Barge
'99 TJ Wrangler Sport
'02 Liberty Sport
'08 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD
O|||||||O
post #3 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:35 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you swap out the flasher relay? That’d be my guess as the culprit...

SuperBeast, enforcer for the Mopar Mafia ̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

post #4 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmgb View Post
The early TJ flasher units are not LED compatible. The taillights you removed must have had a diode in them. The easiest fix is to get an LED compatible flasher unit from an auto parts store. I have not done it yet, but they say a 4-pin unit will work in place of the OEM 5-pin unit. The flasher unit is located under the steering wheel.

Just went to quadratecs website where the old lights came from and the tail lights came with the LED flasher so I am assuming the LED module is the one that is in there because prior to me swapping the lights worked fine reason as to why I wanted oem is because the LED from quadratec is just not my style and I figured that I can put LED bulbs in replace of the standard filament bulbs and it would work out just fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycboi View Post
Did you swap out the flasher relay? Thatd be my guess as the culprit...
The LED flasher relay is in there now because that is what came with the LED tail lights (my assumption) because the tail lights were working fine prior to me swapping, swapped them because the LEDS were blowing on the old set of lights
post #6 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBLMATIC97 View Post
Quote:
Did you swap out the flasher relay? That’d be my guess as the culprit...
The LED flasher relay is in there now because that is what came with the LED tail lights (my assumption) because the tail lights were working fine prior to me swapping, swapped them because the LEDS were blowing on the old set of lights
Don’t assume it’s still good. Crazier things have happened changing parts around. This is the one I just installed in my TJ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J...b_b_asin_title

post #7 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
Quote:
Dont assume its still good. Crazier things have happened changing parts around. This is the one I just installed in my TJ...
I also forgot to mention that whenever I depress on my brake pedal my running lights turn on when my headlights are off
post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 12:58 PM
sycboi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Don’t assume it’s still good. Crazier things have happened changing parts around. This is the one I just installed in my TJ...
I also forgot to mention that whenever I depress on my brake pedal my running lights turn on when my headlights are off
I wonder if you’re in need of a new brake light switch. Or possibly some weird wiring issue. Hopefully none of your wiring got messed up changing parts around. I’d double check everything. Maybe even install stock bulbs and see how it acts...

post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
Quote:
I wonder if youre in need of a new brake light switch. Or possibly some weird wiring issue. Hopefully none of your wiring got messed up changing parts around. Id double check everything. Maybe even install stock bulbs and see how it acts...
I did and it reacted the same as the LED bulbs, I dont get whats going on with this jeep
post #10 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Brake light bringing on the running lights could be bad grounds at the rear lights. They ground through the mounting screws so double check they are clean.

You could also try cycling the hazards on and off several times in case something funky is going on in the multifunction switch. The brake light feed goes through the switch, so it may be something wrong with the contacts inside it. Oxydisation and corrosion in the switches can cause problems. If cycling the hazards improves things, one option you could try before replacing the switch would be stripping, cleaning and regreasing the contacts with dielectric grease.

This would help if you wanted to try cleaning the switch contacts.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i...ite-up-421210/
post #11 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 PM
brgmgb

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The cause is the way the circuit is wired and LEDs vs. incandescent bulbs. When you press on the brakes, electricity flows through the brake light bulb, lighting the bulb, and then flows to ground. Some of the electricity flows from the brake light side to the running lights. An incandescent bulb will not light because it needs more power than the trickle that it is getting. LEDs, however, need very little power and may light.

This video does a good job explaining the problem.

Bill Barge
'99 TJ Wrangler Sport
'02 Liberty Sport
O|||||||O
post #12 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PRBLMATIC97

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmgb View Post
The cause is the way the circuit is wired and LEDs vs. incandescent bulbs. When you press on the brakes, electricity flows through the brake light bulb, lighting the bulb, and then flows to ground. Some of the electricity flows from the brake light side to the running lights. An incandescent bulb will not light because it needs more power than the trickle that it is getting. LEDs, however, need very little power and may light.

This video does a good job explaining the problem.

so what you're saying is that i need a ballast that before the LED and doesnt pass through the LED to get to the ground ?
post #13 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ignore the video. Ballasts are only needed to fix a fast flash if an LED compatible relay has not been used. That isn't your problem. Your problem is a bad ground at the rear lamps, or current leakage within the switch.

You've changed the rear lamps so bad grounds are a possibility. Check the grounds (mounting bolts) at the rear lamps, and see what that does.
Try cycling the hazards on and off to wipe the switch contacts to see if it helps. I'm not clairvoyant but if cycling the hazards helps, a new turn signal switch is in your future.

I should have thought to add this earlier but you can also remove the multifunction switch and test it for continuity.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 05:37 PM
brgmgb

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so what you're saying is that i need a ballast that before the LED and doesnt pass through the LED to get to the ground ?
No, you should not need to add a ballast. I went through this when I put LEDs in my MG. I found that not all LED bulbs are the same. Some are very cheaply made. Some have very different light patterns. It was not as easy as just swapping LED for incandescent bulbs.

Check the bulb socket to verify there is no gunk that could pass current between the two pins. Check the ground too. Headlights on cause both parking lights and brakes lights to glow could mean current is flowing backwards from parking light ground through brake light, but I thought LEDs would not light if wired backwards.

The problem could be in the turn signal stalk. I replaced mine a few years ago because sometimes the left turn signals would stay on when the switch was off. It was an easy swap.

Bill Barge
'99 TJ Wrangler Sport
'02 Liberty Sport
O|||||||O

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in