TJ steering linkage question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-27-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
src2

TJ steering linkage question

Hey all,

Just bought a 2000 TJ with an unknown lift kit. The tow in is actually tow out and I need to change that. It looks like I will have to remove the tie rod end and turn it inward. Removing the tie rod end, I'm assuming it will ruin it and I'll have to get another one. Does anyone know the manufacturer? I can't find any pictures of kits online that look like it. Possible a 1-ton kit?

Attached Thumbnails
draglink.jpg   draglink2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have no idea what kit or ? you have there, but it looks like a HD TRE flip of somekind. You could try backing off the nut to where it clears the tre threads and try tapping it up and see if it breaks loose. Might get lucky. Even a TRE fork will only likely damage the boot. Give it a try. Although I do not see a lot of thread on those ends?? Good luck.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #3 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

it may just an offset factory tie rod end and it looks no where bad enough to take damage upon removal. now yes definitely get a pickle fork and you can cover it and the boot in grease and most times the boot will survive ( i save most boots without greasing it but it could easily help). then the trick is to put pressure on it with the fork by hammering it in between the end and the knuckle, if it does not pop easily then you can do as said before with the nut only on 3/4 the way and hit that with a hammer and go back and forth until it pops. also i would check to make sure it is inverted in a correct way, have seen many cut corners. now only way to really get the right one if it is bad is to take it out and measure the diameters and tapers / take it to a store and compare to a new one. And as Rockworm said unless you are barely going in you will have to unscrew the tie rod end and see if the pipe itself is threaded deeper and then you can cut a bit off each end of the pipe so you can make it shorter. doing this you may also have to cut the tie rod end down too depending how long it is ( my GM one tons come extra long for this)

oh and if you destroy the boot upon removal you can go to most parts stores and buy a universal boot replacement kit based on the inner and out diameters of the boot

post #4 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You shouldn't ever have to remove a tie rod to adjust it. Loosen the nuts and turn it. Disconnect the aftermarket steering stabilizer so it will rotate. It might just be the pic, but I don't see any threads left to adjust it in.
Attached Thumbnails
TIE ROD.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 07:03 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i just hit the knuckle with 2lb brass hammer right where the tie rod goes in, hit toward the knuckle . To add to that i use ratchet strap to add pull on it, since it UP not down. No need for a pickle fork unless the latter don't work. The shape of that tie rod with the offset bend may make adjusting it on the jeep impossible. How fare is the toe out? Is there enough thread on one ends to make this change?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You will have to remove one end to do the adjustment. The shape of the darn thing will prevent spinning it as would be the normal way of adjusting.
Is it the same on the passenger side? May be easier to break free on that end if the drivers side has an insert
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 11:00 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, like said above... the shape of the thing is certainly different to adj. it in the normal way. Maybe look at both ends and pick the side with the most thread. Hopefully it doesn't or wont need much.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in