TJ Rear Shock Shifters - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
overlander

TJ Rear Shock Shifters

Is my google broken? I can't find a source for TJ shock shifters. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-08-2020, 09:30 PM
TJKTodd

Shock relocation brackets maybe?

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 01:31 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Outboard mounts?

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #4 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
overlander

Thanks! Apparently I have been locked up in the house too long LOL

I found several options for moving the lower rear mount. Didn't find much for moving the top mount, is that necessary? The old AEV or Nth degree seemed to have that?
numchuck likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:13 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
jks makes and upper shock relocator that moves the upper mount up one inch in the stock location.
u need a 1" body lift, and shocks with no upper protection can. i run them.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #6 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:21 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine with poly performance/synergy mounts. It is a big job but worth the effort. You might notice in my thread lots of advice that was mostly after the fact. Some was really good advice that I wish I had taken, some was more opinion. Either way, lots of good details in there. Mine came out fantastic. Worth it in every way. I am running 12" shocks and am much more stable.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/t...board-4378773/

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #7 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:38 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
outboarding is a great way to go for many.

i wanted something easier and cheaper.
i can fit 11" shocks with balanced travel.

glfwda #6624
post #8 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
Thanks! Apparently I have been locked up in the house too long LOL

I found several options for moving the lower rear mount. Didn't find much for moving the top mount, is that necessary? The old AEV or Nth degree seemed to have that?
Why are you moving the lower mounts?

If to make room for the shock around the coil spring perch, no need to move upper mounts.

If you are moving the lower mounts outwards towards the ends of the axle tubes, you'll want to move the upper mounts.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
notching the coil spring mount with a grinder is the easy way to make room for the shocks

i moved the upper mount up just to get room for a longer shock.
WSS likes this.

glfwda #6624
post #10 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
notching the coil spring mount with a grinder is the easy way to make room for the shocks

Any pics? I did a upper spring mount relocation, moved the whole thing. Would have been easier to notch for sure

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #11 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post

Good point with grinding the coil perch.

I prefer this method because it's free and does not impact available shock travel. Shock relocation brackets will often cut in to available travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Any pics? I did a upper spring mount relocation, moved the whole thing. Would have been easier to notch for sure
Not Joe's pics, but here is an example:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/r.../#post15407534
joe_jeep and WSS like this.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Why are you moving the lower mounts?
Well, I want to do a 2.5 inch OME lift but after viewing this thread

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/o...shocks-790485/

I thought it would be beneficial to relocate the rear shock to have as much travel as possible w/o getting too serious (I figure I can weld a lower shock mount on but,....cutting into the frame to outboard might be a little more than I bargained for. Even if it is the real solution.)

That is a pretty mild lift but I would like to get as much flex as possible. It looks like you can relocate just the bottom mount but I'm not sure how beneficial that is shock travel wise. It would be beneficial to move it behind the control arm so it doesn't hang down in the middle of the axle though.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I thought it would be beneficial to relocate the rear shock to have as much travel as possible w/o getting too serious (I figure I can weld a lower shock mount on but,....cutting into the frame to outboard might be a little more than I bargained for. Even if it is the real solution.)

That is a pretty mild lift but I would like to get as much flex as possible. It looks like you can relocate just the bottom mount but I'm not sure how beneficial that is shock travel wise. It would be beneficial to move it behind the control arm so it doesn't hang down in the middle of the axle though.
I did exactly that several years ago. Moved just the lower mounts behind the lower control arms. Worked fine, but the shock can was close to the frame.

I do not recall how much travel I gained by doing this. If I had to guess, I'd say 1/2" or less.

I didn't move the lower mounts for the purpose of gaining travel. I did it because there was an axle swap going on and it seemed to make sense to tuck the shock brackets behind the control arm brackets so less stuff was hanging down.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-09-2020, 04:07 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

u could probably make a 10" to 11" shock work, with 2.5" of lift, without outboarding. u can go up 1" at the upper mount if you have a body lift. you can also go down and out at the lower mount. close to balanced travel is what u want.

glfwda #6624
post #15 of 17 Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
overlander

Thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in