TJ Odometer Correction after instrument Cluster Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
thepitvipr

TJ Odometer Correction after instrument Cluster Issues

First I suppose I should Introduce myself. I have been on here as a registered user for a few years. I have crept and read but never contributed. Everything I've ever needed to know has already been covered thoroughly (thank you all very much) or I had no more knowledge than what had already been discussed. Hence no reason to post and no reason to get wallowed in the mire that is eventually the end of most threads.

But alas I have some information, or more correctly I have a contact to a guy that was able to solve my issue that I thought I would share. Since its the first time I'm sharing I 'll give you the long version.

So... the issue.
The message center display/odometer went out on my 2003 Wrangler TJ Sahara.

I knew I was over 120k miles but did not know exactly. I had talked to my local mechanic and he talked about sending it out getting it repaired and blah, blah. I was not happy solution. I have no fear of doing my own work so I had gone on here and done some investigation. After reading a few threads, It seems that 97-02 the mileage is kept in the cluster while 04-06 is kept in both the PCM and the cluster(and would create troubles if they did not match.. I am not stating this as fact, I am stating this as what I have read on here in threads. I was kind of left in limbo after reading as I was unsure if my 03 fell into the 97-02 group or the 04-06. (It is neither here nor there at this point however)

After reading the forums, I was comfortable changing out the cluster, but was convinced I was going to have to live with an inaccurate odometer reading. So, not being happy with this, I went to the dealer.

After getting the quote of $1050 to do the instrument cluster, and them listing of another $1000 worth of "repairs" they wanted to do, I informed them where they could stick it. (no comment about dealerships necessary. We all know. It was worth a try though.)

So I did a little research further on the web and I cam across these two videos.

***** here is where I intended on linking two videos from youtube.com about jeep odometer reprogramming *****
***** however I can't because I haven't posted enough to do so?!?!?!?!?!? *****
***** they are pretty informative if some one wants to post them for me *****

So, now with a little hope, I ordered that little chip programmer and a replacement junkyard cluster and waited.

I like to have all my tools and parts ready before starting a project. Nothing worse than stopping a project mid way. Parts get lost or broken. Other things come up that take your time and attention and before you know it, the project has sat for 6 months. I tell you this because its important that I hadn't removed the cluster or verified the chip was there and what type and all that.

Which is what happened. I get the replacement cluster and the chip programmer and I can't do anything with either as the 03 is very different than the ones in the video. So, I'm stuck... a cluster in each hand, a chip programmer that is worthless to me, and no clue what to do. I need an odometer to tell me the mileage between oil changes, etc. It is not the daily driver so I can't estimate it out. I'm not happy having the mileage inaccurate.

More research.

Then I stumble across this ad on ebay. A guy that does odometer correction on most vehicles 92-15. Motorcycle, ATV, Car, etc. So I contact him and get a price.(mine was $100 which included the return shipping.) I spoke via text enough with him to become comfortable and confident and I shipped both off.

Four days later I got clusters returned. The original was untouched other than reading the original VIN and mileage, and the replacement was flashed with the original mileage and VIN.

So my problem is solved.

Two things I'd like to say.
So I have this chip programmer I don't need. If anyone wants it, $25 and I'll send it out. I wrote in the instructions a little, but not much, an arrow hear or there. If you have a 97-01 I think it will serve your purposes.

I'd like to put this guys information up here but I don't know what the forum rules are and I didn't want this to look like an ad. As mush as I'd like this guy to get business for helping me out, I am a legit user and this is a legit story of my instrument cluster problems.

Cheers
Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Jeepsr4me

you could post the auction ID number off ebay ... and for youtube videos just post the description heading... we easily find it that way.

I never really cared what the odo says, but if it was saying nothing that might have been a issue..
post back so we can check out what you talking about..
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 AM
rays00tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you used Odo-Pro out of Colorado I also can recommend him. I found his website first and then saw he also listed on EBay. A repair shop fried the cluster in my Subaru and I couldn't find anyone local to move my milage to a new cluster. Sent him both clusters on a Monday and received both back by the end of the week.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
thepitvipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
you could post the auction ID number off ebay ... and for youtube videos just post the description heading... we easily find it that way.

I never really cared what the odo says, but if it was saying nothing that might have been a issue..
post back so we can check out what you talking about..
So the two videos I watched were as follows:

"Jeep Wrangler TJ Odometer "Correction" DIY" by Redneck Garage

and

"Reprogramming 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee Gauge Clusters" by ALexia Smith

Both were helpful and both seem to have plenty of interesting videos.

The odometer correction auction listing I used has expired but I'm sure you can find more by him. He seems to specialize in automotive electronics. His seller ID on ebay.com is tvandnavtogo and his website is tvandnav2go.com.

As for why I went to such length to get it corrected is because I can't lie and I can't not divulge that kinda info. If I ever went to sell it, I would have to tell that the odometer reading was incorrect and I know it would raise eyebrows. It was just peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in