4Likes
  • 2 Post By Trevlaw
  • 1 Post By toximus
  • 1 Post By popeyesides

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

TJ/LJ Savvy Mid- Arm upgrade install time?

I am hoping to purchase the Savvy Mid-Arm upgrade kit this winter or spring 2020. I am not a fabricator / welder , so I am wondering if anyone has install this kit themselves and can give me a rough Estimate on how many hours the install takes?

I would be removing the old short arm mounts on the frame myself and prepping the frame for the new mounts. So just need to know approx time it takes to measure out, weld trusses on and new frame mounts.

Thanks in advance

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Its been a while since I did mine, but I got the whole thing done by myself in 3 days or so I think. Getting some of the brackets off was a PITA, the passenger front upper is still half on my frame because it was hard to get to with the exhaust next to it. A die grinder would've been very helpful both for cutting and stripping paint and rust. I ended up using paint stripper in some of the hard to reach areas. The welding goes pretty quick compared to the rest if I remember right. I had a two post lift that helped a lot, and it's a decent amount of work but pretty straightforward and a very well put together system. Don't think my grandpa thought it was all going to go back together about halfway through lol
TJnBC and Shark_13 like this.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Trev. If you were to do it all again, was it worth it? Did you notice a difference going from Short arms? did you reach the "limit" of you SAs?

post #4 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 04:54 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you prep it, how will you get it to the welder? You might be able to pay a little more and have the welder come to you, but you will need a 220v welding outlet in your garage or they'll need a generator. Just something to think about as you're planning everything out.

I assume you'll be keeping all factory axles? No additional changes?

If you do ALL of the prep, get the brackets on the frame held in place with c-clamps, move the fuel and brake cables out of the way for the welder to get around them, get the old UCA mount indexed on the truss, get the trusses bolted into place with the covers, etc. Actual time you'll be paying the welder for? Maybe 4 hours tops... probably less, more like an hour, but factor in the extra time in case you need to move something around for him. With multiple parts to weld, he can jump between them when stuff needs to cool. He shouldn't have to sit around while you setup at all.
TJnBC likes this.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
Thanks Trev. If you were to do it all again, was it worth it? Did you notice a difference going from Short arms? did you reach the "limit" of you SAs?
I have 2 Jeeps with the Savvy mid-arm. Honestly, driving down the road I can't tell you if it's a mid-arm or short arm. So don't waste your money if it's mainly an on road Jeep. Offroad however, the Savvy mid-arm is awesome. It loves to climb. The front end stays down but isn't pushed down. The rear doesn't dig holes on sand. It brakes relatively flat. As far as building goes, the packaging of it is just right and it moves the axle exactly how you need it to.

Keep in mind that you will need to redo your exhaust to get around the arms.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 05:06 PM
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes it was WAY worth it. And yes I was at my limit with short arms including outboarding the rear shocks back in 06 when I bought it. The first thing you will notice is the climb ability going vertical, no more of that un nerving feel of the front end pulling up with no forward progress. I also put a good set of ADS 2.5" race shocks with resi's and clickers. This truly made the entire system come alive. Getting rid of the rear track bar was a huge improvement on its own and the 3 link front now has no binding and truly moves much more freely. I went from a top notch Savvy/ Currie short arm that I ran and perfected the best I could over the first 10 years to now the last 3 years with this outstanding set up. I went from driving thru miles and miles of whoops doing 10mph at KOH for the last 9 years to now cruising at 40 - 50mph thru the same stuff and that is way out away from anyone.
Good Shocks make a HUGE improvement to the Mid Arm system.
I did all the install myself on a lift which all in all I probably had 60 or so hours. But I am anal and a certified welder.
TJnBC likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I would definitely do it again, and especially if I was able to get the same deal on it as I did originally since I think I was the third order. There would've only been a minor price difference between what I got it for and a full Currie JJ short arm setup. I definitely never came close to reaching the limit of short arms, and probably still haven't in terms of crawling/slow stuff, but this Jeep has my entire lifetime ahead of it and I know what I want on the future even if it is constantly changing. I will probably end up changing mine slightly in the future, a small stretch 1-2" in front and 4"-6" in the back. Im aware of the popular opinions on small stretches around here, but I have my reasons and there probably different than most so not trying to derail the thread.

Definitely try to stuff some tuned 2.5s under it, or 2.0s at least. It's no joke the difference in comfort and speed offroad compared to generic store brand shocks, and 2.5s make a world of difference over 2.0's. Driving fast over everything is so much more fun IMO than slow crawling, but both do interest me.

Overall it's a great kit, and I would do it again. The only other thing I would consider is a link system built more towards go fast driving built and sold by pirate and JF member gtxracer at www.dukeengineeringsolutions.com. But it's a lot more DIY intensive if that's something that interests you. Trevin is a really smart guy, great attention to detail and has a bad *** TJ.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

All great things to consider. Mine is not a DD, more of a weekend warrior. I know this will be another big expense after my LS swap, so I need to plan a budget for this.

So thanks for all the great info. My concern with no TB in the rear is when I am towing my lifted Coleman. Do any of you guys tow with it?

post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You will be much better in the rear with 4 link over a track bar. And no I don't even have a tow hitch.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All great things to consider. Mine is not a DD, more of a weekend warrior. I know this will be another big expense after my LS swap, so I need to plan a budget for this.

So thanks for all the great info. My concern with no TB in the rear is when I am towing my lifted Coleman. Do any of you guys tow with it?
I haven't done any towing with the 4-link beyond pulling out other stuck Jeeps. I'd try a small utility trailer or my light aluminum boat trailer, but my suspensions aren't setup for anything more than that.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I haven't done any towing, but I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have front and rear sway bars, maybe adjustable so you could stiffen it for towing that would probably help. The new version of the FOX DSC shocks have a pretty incredible range of adjustment for low speed comp. I rode in one of Blaine's builds and helped pcoplin test a set on my Jeep for a customer. I have no rear sway bar at the moment and the front antirock on the loosest setting. With the DSC low speed adjuster firmed up all the way with just front 2.0s on with my regular 2.5s in the back my Jeep had less body roll than I remember it having stock. With a few turns on the dial to soften up the low speed comp it was back to 45* of roll going in to corners lol. Pretty cool stuff

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
I haven't done any towing, but I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have front and rear sway bars, maybe adjustable so you could stiffen it for towing that would probably help. The new version of the FOX DSC shocks have a pretty incredible range of adjustment for low speed comp. I rode in one of Blaine's builds and helped pcoplin test a set on my Jeep for a customer. I have no rear sway bar at the moment and the front antirock on the loosest setting. With the DSC low speed adjuster firmed up all the way with just front 2.0s on with my regular 2.5s in the back my Jeep had less body roll than I remember it having stock. With a few turns on the dial to soften up the low speed comp it was back to 45* of roll going in to corners lol. Pretty cool stuff
You need a rear antisway bar... If you can find a AR torsion bar, I have arms and the rear frame side mount I can send you.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
You need a rear antisway bar... If you can find a AR torsion bar, I have arms and the rear frame side mount I can send you.
Yeah I know, just been super busy with everything else. Definitely interested in those, I'll text you about them

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

post #14 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I towed this thing round trip from Denver to Moab with the mid arm. And another small trailer 2k miles to Minnesota and back. It was fine. Not sure why the arms would care or the lack of a track bar would matter.

If it hasn't been mentioned and it matters, the savvy kit is not compatible with the stock skid on a swb TJ.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

post #15 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
I towed this thing round trip from Denver to Moab with the mid arm. And another small trailer 2k miles to Minnesota and back. It was fine. Not sure why the arms would care or the lack of a track bar would matter.

If it hasn't been mentioned and it matters, the savvy kit is not compatible with the stock skid on a swb TJ.

2003 Rubicon
Thanks for the info guys. Something to keep in mind for the future as the wife said no to another $4-5k upgrade (Canadian pricing with outboarding).

I instead went with some new TMR customs dbl adjustable arms with JJs on both ends. 1" shanks on the uppers . HD for sure.

Gonna give JJs another shot on my LJ (been almost 10 years since I ran them). With this LS swap that just happened, I am tapped out. Someone is buying my fully rebuilt RE Superflex arms to offset the cost. Looking forward to some better joints (as most rave about here). Will see how long the JJs last. I just don't think I have reached the "limit" of short arms yet...so I couldn't justify the cost of a MA.
Attached Thumbnails
arms2.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in