TJ lift - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

TJ lift

I'd love to install a small lift to my TJ...I've been reading some of the posts for a lifted TJ. I have to say I'm kind of afraid to do it! When I was looking for my TJ I did drive several that were lifted 2 to 4.5 inches. The LJ I drove that was a beautiful looking Jeep was the 4.5 lift. I drove it about 1500 feet and turned around and parked it. Too much work to drive it and I guarantee my wife would have rolled it over. It was the worst thing I ever drove. The 2 inch lift was better but still felt weird.
What's the deal with a lift? Do all lifts drive weird and feel like they are ready to roll over? Is there such a thing as a factory feel with a lift?

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-08-2020, 11:35 AM
TJKTodd

Put a 1.25 to 1.5 inch body lift and flat fenders on it will be doing a 4 inch lift with your stock front fenders

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk
ScottTee likes this.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-08-2020, 03:17 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
The LJ I drove that was a beautiful looking Jeep was the 4.5 lift. I drove it about 1500 feet and turned around and parked it. Too much work to drive it and I guarantee my wife would have rolled it over. It was the worst thing I ever drove. The 2 inch lift was better but still felt weird.
What's the deal with a lift? Do all lifts drive weird and feel like they are ready to roll over? Is there such a thing as a factory feel with a lift?
Whoever did those lifts didn't know what they were doing. All of my lifted Jeeps on 35s/33s could be driven at 80 mph and easily steered with one hand. With the much wider stance, they are more stabile cornering too. 05' with 4" suspension lift/1.25" body lift and 1.5" coil spacers up front to level it a bit. Handled and rode excellent. 33" tires top pic and 35s bottom pic.
Attached Thumbnails
WILLYS LIFTED.jpg   Willys.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

post #4 of 51 Old 05-08-2020, 03:31 PM
sh00ttok1ll

4" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 35" tires. Drives at least as good as stock. I started with the OME lift from DPG Offroad. Even better ride with 33s. Way better than stock. If done right, there are no issues at all with the handling of a lifted Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
20200328_164036_1588973358578.jpg  
post #5 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Put a 1.25 to 1.5 inch body lift and flat fenders on it will be doing a 4 inch lift with your stock front fenders

No, it won't.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 10:03 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A nicely built TJ on 35s can drive as well, if nott better than stock. It all starts with understanding what pieces to get and how to put them together.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Stumptown
2004 LJ Wrangler 

When I was shopping for my jeep, I drove a LJ with 35s. It was terror over 35mph. Then it almost died and the check engine light came on. This was at a dealership, they still tried to sell it to me. Hard pass. That said, I found a fairly stock LJ and now have 35s on it, and it drives like a dream. 4" lift, 1.25" body lift, tummy tuck and stock fenders. Feels very stable at every speed. Well, up to 70, don't drive faster than that because I am not stupid.

Curbs fear me.
fxrsliberty likes this.
post #8 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 08:35 PM
fxrsliberty
1935 CJ2A 

Lifting a Jeep is expensive, cheap lifts ride like ****! The standard TJ has a tipping point where the next .5 of an inch is expensive. It's 3.5. IMHO, look at full systems at or under 3.5. These don't necessarily require big heaps of cash, 2k-2500. Your going to want to dial in your suspension, all 8 adjustable control arms are best , you can splurge and go double adjustable but not required. Above 2.5 you'll want a SYE kit. These recommendations, will give you the ability to get it riding like factory with up to 35s. Body lifts open a whole other can of worms. Don't unless you want to do a bunch of other small parts swaps too. I. E . The motor mounts, belly up skid plate or other forms of realigning your shift linkage and drive shaft angles.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
TJKTodd likes this.
post #9 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 09:05 PM
TJKTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
No, it won't.
If he is looking for no ride change and just wants larger tires then yes it will net u the 4 inches clearance but also u are right no its not like doing a 4" suspension lift where you got longer Shocks and will net more suspension travel. I've done the full path from budget boost. To flat fenders and body lift, to full savvy lift to now going back halfed, full custom front and rear 4 link with full hydro on a 60 front and 14 rear on ORIs Did the 14b tmr shave today.. It's definitely an addictive hobby and one with a great community of ppl. Jeep on bro

post #10 of 51 Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrsliberty View Post
Lifting a Jeep is expensive, cheap lifts ride like ****! Body lifts open a whole other can of worms. Don't unless you want to do a bunch of other small parts swaps too.
Not true on both counts.
Ironhead likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #11 of 51 Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A nicely built TJ on 35s can drive as well, if nott better than stock. It all starts with understanding what pieces to get and how to put them together.
There lies the first problem for me. Not knowing and doing it for the first time. Probably the biggest is the $$$ part. I see the kits are all over the place and not cheep either.

post #12 of 51 Old 05-10-2020, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

TJKTodd...Man that thing looks like it will crawl over skyscrapers! It's way out of my league for sure. I'd need a ladder to just get in it!!
TJKTodd likes this.

post #13 of 51 Old 05-10-2020, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Can I add a puck to the front springs to level it without doing anything else? hoping it doesn't throw steering or something off. If the front end was up just a little It would look better to my eye

post #14 of 51 Old 05-10-2020, 05:27 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
Can I add a puck to the front springs to level it without doing anything else? hoping it doesn't throw steering or something off. If the front end was up just a little It would look better to my eye
Yes, but you need to align the front end afterwards. You can DIY in 10 minutes.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #15 of 51 Old 05-10-2020, 06:48 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Quote:
No, it won't.
If he is looking for no ride change and just wants larger tires then yes it will net u the 4 inches clearance but also u are right no its not like doing a 4" suspension lift where you got longer Shocks and will net more suspension travel. I've done the full path from budget boost. To flat fenders and body lift, to full savvy lift to now going back halfed, full custom front and rear 4 link with full hydro on a 60 front and 14 rear on ORIs Did the 14b tmr shave today.. It's definitely an addictive hobby and one with a great community of ppl. Jeep on bro

All that and you haven't figured out that flat fenders that are not highline do not add clearance over stock fenders? Bro?

2003 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in