TJ Interchangeable parts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
97greenmonster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Interchangeable parts

I purchased a 2004 a Rubicon back in November. It's always been my dream Jeep. I have done research on the differences between the Rubicons and the sports, x, and Sahara editions and noticed not much besides the engine and axles are different between them. I need to replace pretty much my whole front end (steering knuckles, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, control arm bushings (all of them)). I found a 1997 TJ for sale close by that I want to purchase solely for parts. My question is, what parts could I use off the 97 that will fit onto my 04 rubicon without modifications. Mainly the front end parts listed above, the doors, bikini top, random interior parts. Buying the jeep for these parts alone would save me close to $1500 then buying them from places online.

Thanks for any information on this topic.

If you see me running, either a keg has been freshly tapped or something has gone terribly wrong...
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 AM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The parts on the 97 are old and used, I assume. If you do need to replace all that you've listed, maybe upgrade to better parts, such as the Currie Currectlync.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 AM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go to rockauto and buy new. Since you need to replace your tie rod and ends anyway you could upgrade to a moog v8 zj tie rod, but use the tj drag link. You could also spend some more money and get the currie steering as posted above.

Ball joints and u-joints I would use spicer. Wheel bearings Timken. Any brand steering stabilizer will work fine.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I see you are on Guam, which probably costs a lot more to get new parts there? It would be better to get new parts. For steering, the Currie Currectlync is a good value and a tremendous upgrade. I think brand new Napa Chassis parts like the drag link and rod ends price out to almost how much the Currectlync would cost you, and those are stock "flimsy" parts. As mentioned above, stick with Timken unit bearings and Spicer balljoints. You shouldn't need a new steering knuckles unless the divots caused by the brake calipers are really bad, but you could weld those over and then smooth the area out. For the control arm bushings, those aren't too expensive. I definitely recommend Napa Chassis clevites, which are made in the USA vs other Chinese stuff.

All that said, everything you mentioned above will swap over from a '97 to your Rubicon. As far as interior parts, there are differences in the HVAC controls, radio, center bezel, instrument panel, steering wheel, etc.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you need to replace the knuckles? Everything else you listed is relatively cheap and not even close to "the whole front end". Definitely not worth buying another Jeep, especially an older Jeep that isn't going to have any better parts. To answer you question though, all the front end parts you listed will swap over.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
97greenmonster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank You all for your replies. Seems like everyone is steering more towards buying new. Luckily I just met a man who has everything I need except the knuckles. The reason I need new knuckles is, the previous owner had them drilled out to fit Hyman [highman] style tie rod ends, which has a bigger bolt that passes through the knuckle than the stock part. I knew it had a death wobble when i purchased, thinking it was just ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer, I had them replaced at a dealership, thinking that the would do it correctly the first time. Well, they knew I needed a new knuckle and never told me, after multiple other shops not knowing what was wrong, I was finally told what was wrong, and can say, it's going to be hell getting them out here on Guam.

If you see me running, either a keg has been freshly tapped or something has gone terribly wrong...
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 03:13 PM
durango-bob

2006 WK 

I think that there are tapered sleeves that you can buy and press into the holes in the knuckle to restore the tapered hole without replacing the knuckle.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
97greenmonster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That would be so much better than buying new knuckles Durango-bob. Do you know where I could purchase those? Or a part number I can search? Thanks!

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM
durango-bob

2006 WK 

A quick google search of "tapered knuckle inserts" yields quite a few options.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM
rda616

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Goferit inserts work well. Google goferit offroad. The knuckle needs drilled to 3/4" to use this insert.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 06:40 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What size has it been drilled out to?

Tags
2004 , information , parts , replacement , rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in