TJ Hardtop leak on top of rear window glass - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
steveg93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Hardtop leak on top of rear window glass

Hey everyone,

Just picked up my very own 2001 Wrangler sport that came with only a soft top. Purchased a hardtop from a 98. Washed the car yesterday and went inside to check for leaks. I noticed the top of the rear window glass had a little water running down it and am worried if I leave it out in the rain for the day, the whole back will be wet. Should I replace the seal or is there any other easy fixes? Thank you!

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 PM
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you have the soft top clips on at the bottom of the window take them off thats causing mine to leak by the wiper motor.

CO_Crawler

Crawlin Slow Some Where in CO
post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you mean this?:

Those don't interface with the rear window on my 2000 Sport with a 2006 hard top... HTH

post #4 of 14 Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Do you mean this?:

Those don't interface with the rear window on my 2000 Sport with a 2006 hard top... HTH

Depends on which soft top you have. Mine originally came with the stock ones which were fine with the hard top on but the ones that came with my Bestop Sunrider would bang against the window so you couldn't close it

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #5 of 14 Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Depends on which soft top you have. Mine originally came with the stock ones which were fine with the hard top on but the ones that came with my Bestop Sunrider would bang against the window so you couldn't close it
My soft top and hard top are both OEM...
post #6 of 14 Old 05-14-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
steveg93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took the soft top clips out before I installed the hard top. The leak is on top of the glass of the rear window
post #7 of 14 Old 05-15-2016, 11:15 AM
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Speaking of soft top clips (and this other recent thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...s-gate-621434/ ). I'm still confused about whether the oem softtop clips were intended to also hold the factory hardtop window closed? Some say yes, some say no. Was it only on certain years?

Life is short. Play hard.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 14 Old 05-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Long CJ View Post
Speaking of soft top clips (and this other recent thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...s-gate-621434/ ). I'm still confused about whether the oem softtop clips were intended to also hold the factory hardtop window closed? Some say yes, some say no. Was it only on certain years?
No.
The clips are mounted to the tub. if they were mounted to the tailgate I could see some discussion pertaining to that.
The OEM clips have nothing to do with holding the OEM hardtop window closed...
post #9 of 14 Old 05-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg93 View Post
I noticed the top of the rear window glass had a little water running down it and am worried if I leave it out in the rain for the day, the whole back will be wet.
Clean the seal and glass good. When closed check to see that the glass is sitting flush and even all the way around the edges.
The rear glass is adjustable if need be. Also may want to try reinstalling the hard top. be sure to clamp the front before bolting down the rear.
If it still leaks then a new seal may be in order, however I have the feeling the leak you are worried about is prob less than the soft top was allowing in.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
I have the feeling the leak you are worried about is prob less than the soft top was allowing in.
I've driven in blinding rain on the highway and never had any water leak inside when I had the soft top on...
post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

My soft top leaks through the two little holes that I can see sun light through

I run my hard top a few times on my '05 with the soft top tailgate bar brackets on before I sold the hard top. No issues.

My '04 came from the factory with the dual top option and has the brackets. There was no soft top when I bought it. I've never had a leak on it either.

You shouldn't need to remove those brackets when you put the hard top on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 AM
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you see this comment?

"If that's true, then why was my hard top window firmly pushed into the soft top brackets when I bought it brand new off the Jeep dealer lot? There were three brand new dual top LJs on the lot for sale that day and they were all like that.

And the brackets DO keep the window from going (popping) out. The first year I owned it, I removed those brackets when I put my hard top back on, thinking I should and guess what? The window didn't seal properly, just like everyone here is complaining about. My rear window has little rubber bumpers along the bottom seal that fit (as I pictured in a post above) right into those brackets."

Life is short. Play hard.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 11:59 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Long CJ View Post
Did you see this comment?

"If that's true, then why was my hard top window firmly pushed into the soft top brackets when I bought it brand new off the Jeep dealer lot? There were three brand new dual top LJs on the lot for sale that day and they were all like that.

And the brackets DO keep the window from going (popping) out. The first year I owned it, I removed those brackets when I put my hard top back on, thinking I should and guess what? The window didn't seal properly, just like everyone here is complaining about. My rear window has little rubber bumpers along the bottom seal that fit (as I pictured in a post above) right into those brackets."
I suspect that is serendipitous in your case. I have to remove my brackets which are not OEM and never had an issue with water going in the rear window with the hardtop on. I also don't think it is by design since I am pretty sure if you bought a TJ from factory with only the hardtop it would not come with said brackets.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
I suspect that is serendipitous in your case. I have to remove my brackets which are not OEM and never had an issue with water going in the rear window with the hardtop on. I also don't think it is by design since I am pretty sure if you bought a TJ from factory with only the hardtop it would not come with said brackets.
Exactly.

My '05 was hard top only from the factory and when I wanted a soft top I had to buy the tailgate bar brackets. The hard top only models, in fact, do not come with those brackets.

The OE brackets are designed so that you can leave them on when running a hard top, but they are by no means required for it to seal properly.

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

Tags
hardtop , leak , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in