tj frame rot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
fourbanger97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

tj frame rot

any ideas to repair frame besides a swap?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

lots of options, depending on how bad it is...pics?

upload some pics to photobucket or a similar site and paste the img tag in here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
fourbanger97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

its really bad the whole rear end rotted out from the control arms back. i cut the back out of a tj in the junk yard my dads buddy said he could weld the section to my frame. not to sure how that will go

post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 AM
srlbotanical

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbanger97 View Post
any ideas to repair frame besides a swap?
Quote:
its really bad the whole *** end rotted out from the control arms back. i cut the back out of a tj in the junk yard my dads buddy said he could weld the section to my frame. not to sure how that will go
What other ideas are you looking for? If you've got the skills, replacing the back half of the frame with another frame section is an option, but if the frame is that bad, I'd be looking at the bottom skid mount area as well. I bet it's not far behind. A frame swap is really not any more work than welding up a back half in my opinion.

Two Trackers 4WD Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheeling in West Michigan for over 35 years.

HIGHER POWERED!!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
fourbanger97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i checked the rest of the frame is solid i couldnt find a cheap frame in nice shape. i got the rear section for $40.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 PM
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hate to say it, but rarely if ever have I seen a frame where the back was real bad and the rest was fine, as srlbotanical said check under the skid plate on the bottom of the frame rails, that is where a lot of problems come from, however if it is confined to that area AutoRust makes a nice pre made weld in replacement piece that I have used with some success on frames with issues. If you think you can fix the frame you have I say go for it, but just be warned you will probably find more rot the further you get into it. I have spent some time in PA and I have seen the way PENNDOT lays down road salt. Thats all im sayin',

Brian

Will work for Jeep parts...
post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
fourbanger97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it is just the rear half i did my research and didn't find any other roy on the frame i will look farther into the skid plate area but from what i see it looks all good
post #8 of 8 Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it is just the rear half i did my research and didn't find any other roy on the frame i will look farther into the skid plate area but from what i see it looks all good
Only way to really tell is to unbolt the transfer case skid. Every TJ in this area from what I've seen has surface rust/crustiness in the gap where the driver's side of the transfer case skid bolts to the frame. Low mileage, high mileage, and age don't matter, they all do especially if they were driven in the winters of 2009-2011.

The problem is it'll look like "just minor surface rust" bolted up but once you drop that skid, you might not like what you find since the skid hides alot of frame rot easily. It'd be best to throughly check it because if your luckily, it's already been repaired by the PO so welding in the new sections in the rear of the frame would be worthwhile. If it hasn't, it'll save you from wasting time/money/effort on a frame that's already too far gone.

BTW, on another note, there is a guy in West Chester that has clean frames/tubs on Craigslist and there is Davey's Jeep not too far from for sourcing clean frames/tubs as well if do go the frame-swap route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in