1Likes
  • 1 Post By mukluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Build Questions / Opinions

Hey all,

I have a bit of a dilemma going on with what to do with my TJ. As it currently sits, I have a 2" BDS lift with 3" springs up front, BDS shocks, Savvy Rear Adjustable control arms, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Dana 30 / 35 (Aussie Locker on the 30) geared to 4.10 and 32" Goodyear MTR's. Lift and tires were installed in 2013. (Jeep is not a DD and lives in the garage. For reference in the last 7 years I've put less than 15K miles on it).

So to get to the point, I need new tires and I'm not liking the BDS lift. It started sagging on the passenger side about a year after I installed it and the ride is so-so. The MTR's I detest! They are great offroad and if my Jeep was trailered to the trails I would 100% go back to the MTR's, but they are a ***** to balance and the cause of my death wobble between 40 and 50 MPH.

My ultimate goal is to run 35's, but Im doing everything as funds allow and I know that going to 35's runs expensive to do it properly. So in the mean time I'm leaning towards running 33's while setting up my Jeep for 35's slowly.

Im pretty much set on the Currie 4" progressive rate springs, and I'm still deciding between Fox or Rancho shocks. I have the Savvy control arms in the back already but will I need to get the front control arms when I install the new springs?

Im going with Currie adjustable trac bars front and rear and and Antirock up front. I'll buy the Currie Sway Bar links for the rear and the Currie bumpstop extensions all around.

Am I missing anything in piecing together this 4" lift? And this should be enough to run 33" tires comfortably I assume?

My TC will need an SYE and then I need a new driveshaft for it. Then on to my axles.... Since my goal is to eventually run 35's and I've already re-geared once, I'm thinking about going to 4.88 ratio and be done. Will it be ok running that low a gear with 33" tires? (remember this is not a DD but to get to trails I do take it on the interstate). At the same time that I re-gear, I will be installing a Revolution Super 35 kit with Detroit Locker in the D35. (I wanted a Dana 44, but people are asking stupid money for them and I still have to buy a locker and re-gear).

Eventually when I get to 35's then all I would need is the 1"BL, Currie Steering, and Big Brake Kit up front.

So is my rationale correct? Am I missing something with my plans / parts I need?

Thanks for your input!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 AM
CrawlmachineII

You are better getting a complete system in one shot than do it by steps. It will be way more expensive buying parts by piece, and youll definitely be working the same things over again and again.
If you have a decen credit score, any bank will give you 18+ months no interest credit card so you can spend the money in what you need right away and pay over time.

Also you can score a used 231 already with a SYE installed and then, sell yours to recoup some cash.

As for shocks... Fox are good and bling... if your budget is tight the Rancho RS9000 Adjustables are awesome... You can tune them and have a nice ride.

Rubicon express are decent coil springs....combined with soft/adjustable shocks is a real good suspension.

Now... Let me say this... You can fit 35 with no suspension lift by going the Hi-line fenders. You keep your suspension, you keep yout Transfer case and driveshaft, and you junp your Jeep an awesome good looking.

My .02 cents

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

WTB: Complete FULL Hydro steering system* & JD2 model 32 bender
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply,

I've priced out the complete Currie and Savvy 4" lift but since I already have the control arms it's not worth it to me. I have also priced them out separately and there really is no difference in price.

I'm not 100% on cutting up my Jeep to highline the fenders. I like the look to an extent, but it's just a permanent thing that if I get tired of it then there is no going back. Also, I suck at fabrication so I would have to outsource the work.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 PM
logem

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't cut your TJ hood to gain clearance; It ruins the look of a nice TJ, despite the fact that I did it. Look at JCR Offroad or other fender suppliers. They have good options for high-line or regular/low-line fenders. Low-line would be my preference.

2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual with About $101K in upgrades.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 06:42 AM
CrawlmachineII

You don't have to cut your TJ to have functiinal hi-lines if you go with MetalCloack's. Check them out. I have MetalCloacks in my TJ and GenRight in my LJ. MetalCloacks rock.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

WTB: Complete FULL Hydro steering system* & JD2 model 32 bender
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would say your original plan sounds good. Front adjustable arms will be needed to dial in your caster and pinion angle as required -- you can get an idea of where things will sit beforehand by lifting the front of the Jeep so that your front springs measure 16", roughly where they should end up with 4" coils. A good set of arms like the ones you have currently on the rear should also allow the suspension to flex better. Going to 4.88 gears early on with 33" tires should be fine, albeit just a little high on revs at speed (about 2800rpm @70mph). I'd hold off on making any fender changes until you actually install the 35s and check clearances.
happymudder10 likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I would say your original plan sounds good. Front adjustable arms will be needed to dial in your caster and pinion angle as required -- you can get an idea of where things will sit beforehand by lifting the front of the Jeep so that your front springs measure 16", roughly where they should end up with 4" coils. A good set of arms like the ones you have currently on the rear should also allow the suspension to flex better. Going to 4.88 gears early on with 33" tires should be fine, albeit just a little high on revs at speed (about 2800rpm @70mph). I'd hold off on making any fender changes until you actually install the 35s and check clearances.
Yes, When I get to the 35's I'll most probably go with a 1" BL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in