• 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 2 Post By astjp2
  • 2 Post By sduncan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-03-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Mitch72
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TJ auto to manual transmission conversion

I have an auto transmission which needs a rebuild, so I was thinking to convert it to manual in my 2001 TJ 6 cylinder. Is it costly to do so or should I just rebuild it? Also, do you recommend to install a different car manual transmission in my wrangler for better performance?

Thank you
Mitch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Converting your 32RH to a manual transmission would be a downgrade in my personal opinion. In fact, I converted my previous TJ from its original manual transmission to the same 32RH automatic your 2001 has... it's legitimately once of the very best automatics to have ever been made for our Jeeps. That conversion to the automatic completely transformed my TJ offroad, it gave it more low-end torque and it gave a lower effective 1st gear ratio which improved its ability to make it through more technical and challenging trails.

What problem are you having with it? Is it slipping or what? Have you checked its ATF level? If you check its ATF level, make sure the engine is running while you check the ATF level and also make sure the transmission is in Neutral with the parking brake set. If the engine isn't running or if it's not in Neutral you'll get an erroneously higher ATF indication than is actually in the transmission. Transmission in Neutral, engine running during the ATF level check.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic. Putting personal preferences aside however, it'd most likely be cheaper to simply repair or replace the existing transmission than it would be to convert the vehicle to a stickshift unless you happen to have a cheap complete donor vehicle with everything you'll need... and even then you'd need to be able to do the conversion work yourself.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 13 Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Mitch72
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Bransford;40471735
Converting your 32RH to a manual transmission would be a downgrade in my personal opinion. In fact, I converted my previous TJ from its original manual transmission to the same 32RH automatic your 2001 has... it's legitimately once of the very best automatics to have ever been made for our Jeeps. That conversion to the automatic completely transformed my TJ offroad, it gave it more low-end torque and it gave a lower effective 1st gear ratio which improved its ability to make it through more technical and challenging trails.

What problem are you having with it? Is it slipping or what? Have you checked its ATF level? If you check its ATF level, make sure the engine is running while you check the ATF level and also make sure the transmission is in Neutral with the parking brake set. If the engine isn't running or if it's not in Neutral you'll get an erroneously higher ATF indication than is actually in the transmission. Transmission in Neutral, engine running during the ATF level check.
You are right, but the other reason is that I wanna teach my son and wife to drive a manual trans.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Mitch72
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Personally, I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic. Putting personal preferences aside however, it'd most likely be cheaper to simply repair or replace the existing transmission than it would be to convert the vehicle to a stickshift unless you happen to have a cheap complete donor vehicle with everything you'll need... and even then you'd need to be able to do the conversion work yourself.
Thank for the advice I still wanna know that is simple and not very expensive and if I can fix another can manual trans in my TJ
post #6 of 13 Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch72 View Post
Thank for the advice I still wanna know that is simple and not very expensive and if I can fix another can manual trans in my TJ
No it would not be simple. You'd also need a replacement engine computer that wasn't programmed for an automatic if you didn't want a regularly appearing Check Engine light.
Bmann412 likes this.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM
astjp2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It would be cheaper and easier to buy a jeep with a stick.
Jerry Bransford and mukluk like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-05-2019, 02:18 PM
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mitch, I swapped out my 32rh to AW4 w a manual shift and currently swapping it to a 5-speed. From daily driving to playing in the rocks I just prefer a 5-Speed, and my kids need to learn. It's just my preference, go w what fits your budget and style.

With that said if you plan to do the work it would be the same amount just different parts..... NV3550 came stock in the 01 but a AX-15 will also work just fine, only real difference is 1st gear ratio.

The best/cheapest option would find a wrecking yard and pull everything you need

IG Foster_WV
post #9 of 13 Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A friend swapped a 32rh into his YJ from a manual and it was a major pain. I can imagine going the other way being a pain too. If I had an auto Jeep and kids that wanted to learn to drive a manual Id find a cheap Honda Civic on Craigslist and leave the Jeep alone.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
A friend swapped a 32rh into his YJ from a manual and it was a major pain.
It's an easy bolt-in swap for a TJ. Even the 32RH wiring is already in place on a TJ.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 PM
sduncan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I had an auto Jeep and kids that wanted to learn to drive a manual Id find a cheap Honda Civic on Craigslist and leave the Jeep alone.

This right here...

'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 AM
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
If I had an auto Jeep and kids that wanted to learn to drive a manual Id find a cheap Honda Civic on Craigslist and leave the Jeep alone.
This is exactly what I did. I own two manual vehicles, my TJ and a BMW M3. My 17 year old isn't going anywhere near them LOL. I got him a $2,000 Ford Ranger with a manual and that is what he learned to drive stick with.

Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

With the OP's location listed as Kuwait, I'd recommend a little turbo diesel Ranger pickup... fun things to drive and the clutch has a decent feel to it.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in