Tj Airbags - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Nahkohe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Airbags

I Want to remove the Sirbags form my TJ and Put a Aftermarket stering wheel on with out the Air bag on it . has any one done this ? can it be done .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Stoked
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yes and Yes.

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport
post #3 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Wamp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

post #4 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
moparjunkee

Yes

Just last week I read a thread on here that had some pics in it and it had a Grant steering wheel on it. I am sorry my memory is horrible and I don't remember what the thread was about so you could search and find the poster to ask him some questions anout it. But yes it can be done even though I do not recommend doing it if your Jeep is anything but a off road rig. Your insurance company would not be very proud of you and it could potenially get you into some very deep *^&% later on.

Just my $.02.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Nahkohe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks but that is for a newer jeep wheel i think i just wnat a regular older type to fit on it and look right .
post #6 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Nahkohe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not worried about the insurance co . but what do you mean about it getting bad later ?
post #7 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
am3rican
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking from personal experience here: if you were to get into a car accident (after removing your airbags) and were to suffer serious injuries, you could be held liable for your own medical treatment.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
moparjunkee

very deep &^%*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahkohe View Post
Not worried about the insurance co . but what do you mean about it getting bad later ?
Lets think about it. Lets say that you let your buddy take your rig to the store real quick or wherever they might be going. They get in a head on, unfortunately lose their life and you think that the worst for you is that you have lost a good buddy and your out of a jeep. Then, during the investigation your buddy's wife, mother or sister finds out that you had taken one of the most important safety devices out of your jeep so you could have a cool steering wheel and was most likely the final cause of why they lost their husband, son or brother. If these people are like any of the other many sue happy people in this world, then you are left paying a settlement to them for the rest of your life without a leg to stand on therefore leaving you in VERY DEEP &^%*. Ten years ago I definately would be all for having a cool steering wheel, but now that I look on the other side of the fence there is no way that I would chance something like that.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Disabling my airbags, ESPECIALLY just to install a cool steering wheel, would be the last thing I'd do to my TJ until it is no longer ever driven on the road. Moparjunkee's reasons listed above are right on, I can't even imagine the field day a plaintiff's attorneys would have against anyone who removed their airbags and someone got hurt in that vehicle.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think it is against federal law to remove any part of your self restraint system.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #11 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I think it is against federal law to remove any part of your self restraint system.
Nope, Federal law only says how a vehicle must be equipped when it leaves the factory. It's up to the state how close vehicles must remain to Federal requirements once they're registered. There are no federal cops roaming our states looking for vehicles that don't conform to Federal manufacturer's requirements.

post #12 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Wamp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I guess all the YJ's and CJ's should be retrofitted with airbags until the nanny-state people feel safer. It is a sad day when we have to coach our actions based on what the corporate insurance conglomerates deem appropriate.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
V-8unlimited

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What year is your jeep, I need one for my 2005, want to sell it?
post #14 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
So I guess all the YJ's and CJ's should be retrofitted with airbags until the nanny-state people feel safer.
If that's how you want to look at it, be my guest. Beyond that, you completely missed the point of the arguments against removing air bags that are factory installed, not adding them to Jeeps that never had them. But that was already well explained above so it'd be a complete waste of bandwidth to try to re-explain it to you in a different more understandable way.

post #15 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Wamp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If that's how you want to look at it, be my guest. Beyond that, you completely missed the point of the arguments against removing air bags that are factory installed, not adding them to Jeeps that never had them. But that was already well explained above so it'd be a complete waste of bandwidth to try to re-explain it to you in a different more understandable way.
So what if my friend borrows my YJ and gets killed. His wife/girlfriend/mother finds out that a YJ never had airbags. My friend is just as dead, so am I liable for letting my friend drive an unsafe vehicle?
I am against a nanny state. If I chose to skydive, deep sea dive, box, drive without airbags, eat meat or do any other thing that could be deemed dangerous, I don't want the government telling me not to. It's none of your business either. If you don't feel safe in my vehicle, take the shoe leather express.
What happened to personal responsiblilty? I say fix your ride up the way you like it and don't let anyone else drive it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in