Tj 8.8 Swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-18-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
champbing02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj 8.8 Swap

Alright, so I got a wild hair and thought that I could swap in an 8.8 for my dana 35 in the rear. I am about halfway through my project and I am having some concerns.
1. When I weld up all the mounts and mock it all up if my measurements are off a little bit whats going to happen?
2. If it is going to cause problems my solution was to do adjustable control arms.
3. If I do adjustable control arms am I going to have to do uppers and lowers or just lowers?
4. Also if I did control arms I was going to build them myself that way I would have the rod ends to reuse if I ever went to long arms.
Any and all help is appreciated!!

Jeep info
2-inch coil lift currently
on 31s
stock control arms and no adjustable track bars yet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-18-2018, 03:11 PM
mikepelchy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by champbing02 View Post
Alright, so I got a wild hair and thought that I could swap in an 8.8 for my dana 35 in the rear. I am about halfway through my project and I am having some concerns.
1. When I weld up all the mounts and mock it all up if my measurements are off a little bit whats going to happen?
2. If it is going to cause problems my solution was to do adjustable control arms.
3. If I do adjustable control arms am I going to have to do uppers and lowers or just lowers?
4. Also if I did control arms I was going to build them myself that way I would have the rod ends to reuse if I ever went to long arms.
Any and all help is appreciated!!
If your mounts are off by too much, your rear end won't track straight and you could experience vibration from having an incorrect pinion angle. Your best would be to get the brackets tacked into place and them mount everything up and double-triple measure all of your brackets and angles and verify that everything is okay and there are no interference issues when either side of the axle travels up/down. Something else to think about/take into consideration, the 8.8 is a little narrower than the D35. I would suggest using a digital angle finder to help get everything dialed in. I only had adjustable uppers and I was able to get everything to work out pretty well.

I know that when I did my 8.8 swap a while back, I had issues with the diff cover coming in contact with the skid plate for the fuel tank, but it was an after market side plate and a pretty thick diff cover. This is where taking the time to mount in the jeep before welding everything solid really would have helped.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
champbing02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Planned on tacking the brackets and mocking everything up. Did you have the adjustable arms before the swap or got them as a result of the swap?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 PM
mikepelchy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had them before to help correct my pinion angle with the lift kit.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
champbing02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepelchy View Post
Something else to think about/take into consideration, the 8.8 is a little narrower than the D35.
When you did your swap what did you do for wheel spacers to correct this?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
This link might answer some of your questions http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ar...wap-92569.html
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Gary2
2012 TJ Wrangler 

I use 1/4" wheel spacers on mine. It gives back some of the width and cost next to nothing. Been running them for the better part of ten years with out an issue
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2018, 08:15 AM
mikepelchy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by champbing02 View Post
When you did your swap what did you do for wheel spacers to correct this?
Nothing. I believe the width difference was 5/8", so about about 5/16" on each side. I never noticed any issues.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Read my sig. Both are true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.

Tags
8.8 , control arms , dana 35 , ford 8.8 , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in