• 1 Post By Mousejockey
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna
  • 1 Post By BlueFl.Wrangler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
OBX-05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Rotation Pattern

I posted this question on the Tires & Wheels forum and after 100+ views got no response. Since I plan on rotating my tires this Saturday I wanted to ask it here.

I have four matching 33 x 12.50 x R15L tires on my 2005 TJ.

1. What is the best pattern for moving the tires around?

2. The image I have attached says "Tires must be reversed on the rims when crossing the vehicle in order to keep them rolling in the same direction". I guess this means the tire should be removed from the rim and flipped in order to keep it rolling in the same direction. I've never had that done on ANY vehicle. Do other drivers do this?

Thanks

PS My spare does not match the 4 on the ground so the spare is not included.

Attached Images

Last edited by OBX-05TJ; 06-02-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 07:10 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard people say that before, but I have never followed that rule. If you did want to follow it, you could stick with the first, far left picture.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 07:24 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to keep them quiet, front to rear. #1 in your pic.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 07:29 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

if you arent incorporating your spare, then #4. no need to remount the tires, just rotate them.
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cross the fronts to the rear, bring the rears straight forward
This puts each tire in each position and spreads out the wear evenly amongst the tires

Also, you should rotate at the first sign of wear on the fronts
post #6 of 11 Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some tires are directional, they have an "arrow" on the sidewall showing how it should rotate while the vehicle is moving forward. These tires tend to be high performance, etc.

But, like stated in posts 4 & 5 above, I tend to use diagram #4 for rear wheel drive vehicles, which I consider my TJ, my F150, and our Tahoe.

I've found from looking in many owner's manuals, that front wheel drive vehicles use diagram #3, I use this on the wife's Camry and daughters Rogue.

I came up with a phrase, "drive wheels roll straight" to help me remember. I have also found that my locate Discount Tire store will use diagram #1, on all vehicles, unless the customer makes a specific request.

Now, all this is based on a vehicle with stock tires,

This is from the TJ service manual,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3251.jpg  

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2021, 04:58 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have been rotating my own tires regularly since I bought my second vehicle ( 1979 ) , they have all been a standard factory type tire. I rotate them @ every single oil change and have used pattern #4- and i must say my tires always wear perfectly even.

Have zero exp with off road / mud/ directional tires though.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2021, 05:23 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I always do like #3 on all of my Jeeps and my tires still look like new after 4 years. Front to rear, rear to opposite side front. I also rotate them at every oil change (3,000 miles).
Attached Thumbnails
Rubi tire1.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I always do like #3 on all of my Jeeps and my tires still look like new after 4 years. Front to rear, rear to opposite side front. I also rotate them at every oil change (3,000 miles).
3 & 4 are basically the same except on one the driving wheels are being crossed on the other the driven wheels are being crossed- what ever way is easiest for each person to remember
Ironhead likes this.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Tylervalo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
3 & 4 are basically the same except on one the driving wheels are being crossed on the other the driven wheels are being crossed- what ever way is easiest for each person to remember
And it really doesn't matter which of those 2 patterns you use, because eventually all tires will end up being crossed and as long as you're doing it with every oil change they shouldn't wear enough to develop bad wear patterns unless your alignment is absolutely wrecked.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2021, 09:13 AM
ltklein
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I use 4....3 or 4 are essentially the same as long as you stick to one or the other.

When steel belted radials first came out, it was considered important not to switch their rotation as it was thought to contribute to separation between the steel belt and the rubber.

If you look at the Firestone 721 debacle it may suggest the history of that Firestone chart you have reference to.

EXCEPTION: As previously stated, tires that are designed to rotate in a single direction, usually due to there being a tread pattern on that right that is a mirror of the left...yeah...those need #1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in