Tire fell off going down the road.. Wheel spacer failure? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Osmosiz

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Tire fell off going down the road.. Wheel spacer failure?

So im driving down the road and the jeep starts going all over the place like death wobble, and i look out the window and my tire is wobbling like crazy and lugnuts are flying off ...then the tire shoots off and goes flying into the woods about 100 feet down the road... meanwhile im going down the road at 40 with three tires, so i tap the brakes and she dives right, and goes off the road.. phew.. finally its over.. jeep is in the ditch, minus a tire.

Damage:
-put a flat spot on my brand new rotor
-wallowed out my wheel lug holes
- One of the lugs on my spacers is sheared right off.

Im not sure how this couldve happenned.. i just put on the WJ brakes conversion and torqued everything afterwards, i even double checked them on friday. everything was tight. .

Pics of spacer:

luckily it was just me and the dog in the jeep at the time, we are both fine just a little shell shocked. so could it be that the spacer failed which caused this chain of events to occur?
why else would the tire come off when i had just torqued all the bolts.. also it wallowed the heck out of my rim holes.. so they must have been tight. i am planning on calling the company to talk to someone.

2000 XJ

will work for jeep parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good that your ok! I know that feeling... when I had a few axles break on my old D35.That is one reason I have never cared for wheel spacers, period!
post #3 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jesus thats pretty rough...if you torque'd everything to specs than idk

post #4 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
bruteboy

it looks to me like the stud that broke was the only one that was tight and the others were loose
or came loose.
the lug holes in your rim will only wallow out if there is movement(ie loose nuts)
I don't see any failure of the spacer,only one broken stud and some wear from the loose wheel.
not sure about the cause.
post #5 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Osmosiz

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

could i put new studs in and reuse the body of the spacer for now? after this im buying some new wheels..

2000 XJ

will work for jeep parts
post #6 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

You used the wrong kind of lugnuts for your wheel combination. The same thing happened on one of my rigs with spacers.
post #7 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
ZeroGravity

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosiz View Post
could i put new studs in and reuse the body of the spacer for now? after this im buying some new wheels..
I probably wouldn't re use a part that catastrophically failed causing your tire to fall off.

91 YJ
98 XJ
2 door love
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
post #8 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:30 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what happened, but that toaster oven is SWEEETTT....

Kinda weird "shine" pattern on the remaining lugs: I'll go with the "only one tight" theory..
post #9 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Makes me want to go check the torque on my Spidertrax spacers and rims...Glad your ok... Would be interested if you find out what led to failure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 WK2 Overland

post #10 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Oatmealman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
I probably wouldn't re use a part that catastrophically failed causing your tire to fall off.
lol ditto.Could have possibly put the wrong lug nuts on(as stated before).Wheel spacers are bad news,I don't care who tells you their not,adding extra leverage on wheel bearings,ball joints,spindles, lug nuts and other things is not a good idea with wheels spacers,it's bound to fail.

87 yj,60,14b,39.5s,350,th350,203 part time conv, true duals,soa
post #11 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Osmosiz

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

yea was rethinking that, def not using the old ones.. talked to the wife, im getting new rims for fathers day! still planning on contacting spidertrax though, i want to hear what they say... as far as lug nuts, i used the ones they supplied in the kit, and the stock ones for the wheel.

as far as only 1 being tight.. yea maybe they loosened, but they were tight on friday.. torqued them myself.
i wish i could go back and watch it in slow motion.. i would love to know what really happenned to it.

2000 XJ

will work for jeep parts
post #12 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 PM
a2tripp

1993 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like something my ex girlfriend did..........

93 cheromanche

post #13 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

my vote would be loose lugnuts. wallowed out holes would be a very good indication of that. maybe you did tightened them, maybe they wernt sitting flush, maybe someone loosened them up on you etc. If it were the wheel spacer, the wheel spacer would be bolted to the wheel off in the woods still

<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE
post #14 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Lineleader

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My left rear wheel came off a few months ago doing about forty, scared the bejesus out of me. Still unsure of the cause, bu it did the same damage, wallowed out the wheel, smoothed out the rotor, tore the fender flair off and dented the rear panel.

Only thing we could come up with, was possibly some kids messing around the campground the night before, as I had spent the last two days wheeling.

Rest assured, i know check my lug nuts more often. interesting theory about possibly having the wrong lugnuts.

No wheel spacers.

'05 LJ 6 spd with 33 DC FC II on DC-1's, RE 3.5 SF, Superwinch Epi 9.0
post #15 of 106 Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What exactly did you torque the spacers and the lugnut to (how tight in ft/lbs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in