• 1 Post By pwmac
  • 3 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tips on solving Electroysis in Cooling System

Hi There,

I have just replaced my radiator, and the guy that looked at my old one said that it corroded out due to electrolysis in the cooling system. Sure enough, I put the new radiator on and put the ground of the multimeter on the battery negative and the positive probe in the water, and got 0.5 volt, even with the Jeep not running, similar with it running.

Any ideas where to look to start fault finding this?

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't you just run a ground wire to the radiator?
jjandascog likes this.

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #3 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You will always have potential in cooling. Water running through a block picks up metal and will leave potential there. If you run demineralized water it would only be short term. Grounding the rad would leave it a path and still allow current to flow. If you maintain the cooling system and flush it every 60k or so it will last longer then the Jeep. Maintenance is the key.
Newtons3 likes this.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:

post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Easy to solve the issue by changing the coolant on a regular basis. The coolant has the ingredients to prevent corrosion.
Newtons3 likes this.

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I already have a ground wire directly to the radiator core, that did not help.

I flushed the cooling system and put new coolant, water pump and Mishimoto radiator in one year ago. That radiator corroded out, so trying to stop that happening again. So this does not line up with the advice that new coolant will solve the issue.

Any other ideas?

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
post #6 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM
jjandascog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a material difference between the Mishimoto radiator and stock? I know the tanks on the stock are plastic and the mounting flanges seem to be steel as opposed to AL of the Mishimoto one. I would guess the Mishimoto is also made from cheap quality AL. Put all that together and the fact that the Mishimoto is all AL (and again probably cheaper quality than the stock one), the radiator itself could be the problem.

I assume the mechanic that told you your previous radiator dies of electrolysis knows what that looks like with AL, it will leave a white powder as the AL is sacrificed.

2004 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0, Auto, 3.5 SL, 1.25" BL, BFG's cool mud jack across the hood
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Aluminum rads don't corrode the same way coppers do. All radiator systems do corrode though. Maintain them and you won't have issues. Cast block and heads, copper core, electricity flowing all over the vehicle, corrosion happens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 09:57 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can you put some sacrificial anodes in the tank? Change them every month. Zinc would probably be best, it will attract the doodoo.

WSS

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Use a oem Mopar radiator, flush system thoroughly, add proper coolant and don't worry about it. Mine has over 150,000 miles on it and no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in