Time for a new radiator. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have no real advice whatsoever, but my OEM radiator finally started leaking at around 119,000 miles. I replaced it with an OEM copy from Autozone for 120 bucks that came with a 5 year warranty. Good enough for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had 108k on my oem rad before I made the mistake of replacing it with a radiator barn/cfs radiator. I went through 3 of them in a year and a half before going back to an oem unit. I would rather spend the extra cash on the oem and not worry about it leaking.

My wifes WJ has 167k on the original rad. So I have no clue as to why you are calling the oem junk.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #33 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
kennyboobear

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99thProBleM View Post
Got more than I expected from this thread haha

Read it cause my OEM rad is leaking around the seal on top and needs to be replaced at 92k and if another OEM will last another 92k that would be fine with me.. your jeep will prob fall apart from rust before that nice expensive mishimoto craps out jk :2c:
That's exactly the point, I want it to. Though to date, there's not a bit of rust anywhere, so she's got a long way to go haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
I had 108k on my oem rad before I made the mistake of replacing it with a radiator barn/cfs radiator. I went through 3 of them in a year and a half before going back to an oem unit. I would rather spend the extra cash on the oem and not worry about it leaking.

My wifes WJ has 167k on the original rad. So I have no clue as to why you are calling the oem junk.
There's a big difference between a grocery getting WJ and a TJ that get's wheeled every weekend. I'm not saying OEM rads don't work, they do and I'd be naive to say otherwise. For my needs however, an OEM isn't going to cut it. My plastic caps are seeping like crazy with less than 80k on it, and I'm calling OEM radiators junk as I've personally seen a very large number of them in the same circumstance as my own. Right off the top of my head I can name three friends that have the same radiator as I have, crapping out on them with under 80k miles on them. Simply put, I don't want to get something I'll have to replace again in another few years or less. We've already established I won't be getting a radiator barn one, as it truly seems as though they have an inferior product. If I get the Mishimoto and it craps out on me, well then lesson learned, though having had their products in the passed, I seriously doubt that will be an issue.

That said, this thread has become more or less useless as many seem to, as 1.) it's now become rather side tracked, and 2.) based on a rather large dislike for the radiator barn product that I'm seeing on here, I've decided I'll be going with the Mishimoto.

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.

post #34 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 AM
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydog78 View Post
if the OEM rads are crap how come my stock OEM radiator was just replaced at 102,000 miles. I'll stick with what works. OEM is what was made for the jeep and radiator barn sucks
Yeah listen to these guys mine lasted 120k, if my new oem one last half as long that would be 180k I will most likely have a new Wrangler by then.
post #35 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM
mightydog78

2013 JK Wrangler 

the new OEM is a 1-row, which offers more efficient cooling than the original 3-row radiator.

I'd rather have plastic tanks than chinese welded radiators from radiatorbarn

2013 JKU Sahara

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
post #36 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
Any reason why? A thumb pointing down doesn't really tell me why it's a POS haha
Radiatorbarn.com products provide less cooling than OEM radiators.

When articulating (flexing) your Jeep, they tend to crack between the core and the upper and lower tanks.

Unless you want to spend 3 times the cost of an OEM one, the OEM style is the better choice... IMO

Gone but not forgotten.
post #37 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydog78 View Post
the new OEM is a 1-row, which offers more efficient cooling than the original 3-row radiator.
OEM never had a 3 row radiator...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #38 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
kennyboobear

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Radiatorbarn.com products provide less cooling than OEM radiators.

When articulating (flexing) your Jeep, they tend to crack between the core and the upper and lower tanks.

Unless you want to spend 3 times the cost of an OEM one, the OEM style is the better choice... IMO

Great info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm gonna end up springing for the Mishimoto as it's basically the latter part of your comment. It is expensive, but I figure the long term effects will be worth it.

Get

Quote:
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.

post #39 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
spdcat01TJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just for the record, I replaced the radiator on my XJ at about 150k because it had a catastrophic failure in one of the side plastic tanks. I bought a Lifetime warrantied radiator at O'reilly Auto Parts for about $115. That one only lasted about 25k, and the tank burst on it. O'reilly replaced it free of charge. I wish it would have lasted longer, but aside from the inconvenience of replacing it, I wasn't out much money.
Now the radiator in my TJ is seeping around the top tank. I will probably buy an OEM design clone from O'reilly or Auto Zone, simply because they are cheap and come with a lifetime warranty. The 4.0 doesn't make enough power to need a lot of radiator capacity, so why spring for an expensive aluminum radiator?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
post #40 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 PM
greene69

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine with a factory unit last week, the old one lasted 10 years and never overheated still looked good inside but had a slow drip where top tank connected to fins. I looked at the bigger more $ ones, but with a 4.0 i just didn't see the need in the extra dough. Bought mine at a local radiator shop for $140 and it went right in.
post #41 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
kennyboobear

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdcat01TJ View Post
Just for the record, I replaced the radiator on my XJ at about 150k because it had a catastrophic failure in one of the side plastic tanks. I bought a Lifetime warrantied radiator at O'reilly Auto Parts for about $115. That one only lasted about 25k, and the tank burst on it. O'reilly replaced it free of charge. I wish it would have lasted longer, but aside from the inconvenience of replacing it, I wasn't out much money.
Now the radiator in my TJ is seeping around the top tank. I will probably buy an OEM design clone from O'reilly or Auto Zone, simply because they are cheap and come with a lifetime warranty. The 4.0 doesn't make enough power to need a lot of radiator capacity, so why spring for an expensive aluminum radiator?
For the same reasons I cited above a handful of times. Namely not wanting to have to worry/fool with it ever again. I also intend on eventually moving to a 4.9L stroker, so the added umph from the radiator will find more necessity then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene69 View Post
I replaced mine with a factory unit last week, the old one lasted 10 years and never overheated still looked good inside but had a slow drip where top tank connected to fins. I looked at the bigger more $ ones, but with a 4.0 i just didn't see the need in the extra dough. Bought mine at a local radiator shop for $140 and it went right in.
Yea, the OEM one in my rig is now nearing 12 years old, but still doesn't really change the fact that I don't want an OEM radiator.

I appreciate everyone's input, I just wish this would stay a bit more on topic. I had originally asked for opinions on two options, and the vast majority said nay against the Radiator Barn radiator which was all I wanted to know. Have never dealt with them but see their name on the forums semi-frequently, so I wanted to see what others thought before I sprung for the more expensive Mishimoto.

Now I've got everyone on this get an OEM radiator, why don't you want an OEM radiator? bandwagon. Bottom line, the OEM radiator isn't an option for me, so if everyone would drop it, would be nice. Mishimoto radiator it is, and I reckon this'll be my last reply in the thread. Thanks again JF.

Get

Quote:
Quote:

post #42 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
ElementX

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the oem version from radiatorbarn last week. Fitment was fine and I thought it was a good deal for $100. As long as nothing hits the fins, it should be ok. I replaced the cap too and all is well.

I wanted to add that the fins are extremely soft....softer than the aluminum from a soda can. Before I installed the new radiator, I flushed it out with the garden hose to get rid of any oil, styrofoam, etc. From there, I turned off the water and tossed the hose on the grass. Just my luck, the hose managed to flop against my brand new radiator and slid across some of the fins causing them to flatten. No functional problems so far, but I am worried about what would happen if I took a rock in the grill on the highway.

'98 TJ Sport
post #43 of 48 Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM
jpfelix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you should get an oem replacement.
post #44 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
cherokeeindian

I have the 3 row all metal from Radiator Barn. No problems here. It has been in my car for 5 years now, and I have even bought another one for a project Jeep I have. I noticed above someone posted a picture of the fins w/out paint. They are done like that on purpose as to dissipate heat better. If they tried to paint every nook and cranny they'd clog the core up with the paint, and this wouldn't be to your advantage. I had a friend use his warranty with Radiator Barn and they gave him no trouble at all, sent him a brand new one. Of course the warranty was a a valid claim and not a wreck or anything. I've talked to guys who have had trouble with warranties from other sources. CSF all metal radiators are great quality.
post #45 of 48 Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
olucier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlowDown View Post
Wow... all of this over a radiator

Just have a cold one (if that's your bag) and be done with it. I like Chimay Red myself...
Chimay Have not been able to find any where I live in a long time though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in