Ticking noise from engine - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Tarmac

Ticking noise from engine

We recently bought an 06 Unlimited and have noticed some ticking coming from the engine. It's fainter than a sticky lifter, but louder than the clicking an injector makes. The frequency is directly related to rpm, and it's loudest right at 2k rpm. Is this typical? I had an old YJ, and my wife is on her second GC and none of them ticked like this. Engine has less than 800 miles currently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 PM
mauleskyrocket

I had similar tick with 06 Rubicon. Does not sound like lifter. Gradually went away.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-18-2005, 05:09 PM
tonkaJP
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i think id be visiting the dealer

06 Khaki Rubicon Unlimited......work in progress

post #4 of 27 Old 11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
bloke279

2015 JK Wrangler 

brand new 06? dealer! warrenty!
post #5 of 27 Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ive never heard an inline 6...the 258 or the 4.0 that is not rather noisey...ticking type sound. They are louder than many engines. Listen to someone elses and compare....if yours does not sound right carry it back to the shop.

Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM
The Pawnbroker

Hey I just had my short block replaced under warranty (see "Bad Idle..." post). I only had about 600 miles when my engine was replaced. Now I have a tick just like you described. The thing is, I can hear it better in the Jeep than outside under hood etc. The firewall may be amplifying the sound. I don't remember hearing it before the short block was replaced though. I'm going to give it some time and if it is still there in a few hundred miles. If so, I'll take it in.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-20-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Tarmac

My sound is exaclty the same. Under the hood, reving it manually by hand, you really can't hear anything over the engine, fan, accessories, etc. But in the car, with the doors closed, right at 2k rpm, it's pronounced. I'm dropping it off at the dealer in the morning.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Treybiker

I took mine in for that problem and they couldn't find anything, but the dealer also made me come back 4 times because they kept ordering the wrong part to fix the passenger seat lift lever. Total morons. I plan on taking it to another dealer after filing a complaint of how the dealer mis-handled my 3 issues. (fixed 1 out of 3 and left dirty fingerprints on the seat and gave me my jeep back muddy of which it wasn't when I took it in).

Let us know if they find what it is, so I can tell the dealer what to fix.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
jkulbeth

If this is your first Jeep, that could very well be a perfectly normal ticking sound. Jeep engines are noisy -- mine does it. If you're not used to it, it will drive you crazy. But, do take it to the dealer if it's not something you feel is right. Mine did it and it drove me crazy for a while, but after a couple of oil changes it decreased in loudness. I run Mobil One synthetic and that seemed to quiet it down a little, too

You'll hear more sounds on a Jeep than you've ever heard on any other vehicle. Most of them are normal, but it never hurts to have it checked out. If they say it's normal and you disagree, go test drive a new one on the lot -- if it doesn't tick, drive it around to the service department and ask them why yours but not theirs.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-20-2005, 09:28 PM
motogeno

Ticking Noise

I have an '05 Wrangler X, just bought it and it only has 2,000 miles on it, and it makes that same ticking noise. I just figured it was normal engine noise untill I talked to my dad and he wondered if it was spark knock. It has made that noise since the day that I bought it. I did put a K and N filter and a PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer on it ( couldn't help it, it needed a little extra in the mid range ), but it made the noise since day one. I think that jkulbeth is right about it being normal noise, or I hope he is. If you find out something different please post it, but I think that this is a meat and potatoes vehicle with little thought put into things such as engine noise, since you probably can't here a thing at 70 mph anyway. This is my first wrangler though, so what do I know. Hopefully more experienced Jeep owners will share with us their infinite wisdom on such subjects.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Tarmac

Well, this is my second wrangler (first was a 92 saharah). My father has also had 3 GC's (88, 91, 95) and my wife is on her second GC (00 and 03). All had the same inline 6 and none have this clatter right at 2000 rpm. It may be normal, but it's worth a look.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
IAJack

My evap / fume recovery thing on the drivers side fender under the hood ticks all the time. Scared the crap outa me when I first owned the vehicle. Do they have these on the newer models?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA-Certified Pistol Instructor
post #13 of 27 Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
jkulbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack
My evap / fume recovery thing on the drivers side fender under the hood ticks all the time. Scared the crap outa me when I first owned the vehicle. Do they have these on the newer models?
So that's what I hear when I start it up! I've always blamed the fuel pump in the tank, but the evap goodies on my '04 are in the passenger rear wheel well. Good to know. Yes, they still have all the evap doings in there.

My '94 YJ Sahara ticked until '96 when some kid totalled it running a red light doing 60 (even angled 5 degrees off center after he nailed my passenger front tire, the engine was running... and ticking.) That was the noisiest engine I've ever owned -- it almost sounded like a diesel. The A/C compressor was just as noisy. I took it in several times and was assured it was normal. I want to say Jeep even released a notice on it because of complaints. My '04 isn't nearly as noisy and the ticking has decreased significantly over time.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Dirty Backroads

2005 TJ Wrangler 

My '05 (4500 miles on it) ticks. I heard it quite a bit when I was wheeling last weekend. Tick, tick, tick. I chalked it up to this being a normal engine sound and perhaps because the top was up and windows in I heard it more. My last car's engine ticked too. Some engines are just noisy. Definitely sounds like a noisy set of lifters or in the valvetrain. If I push in the clutch the ticking goes away. This is definitely NOT engine knock/detonation. That's a different animal completely.

It's not like there's much insulation under the hood. I wonder if it's as pronounced in an Unlimited. Don't the ULs have a hood liner? No such animal in my Sport.

At any rate, the engine runs great. It doesn't use oil at all so I'm not worrying about it. I plan to put Mobil 1 in at the next oil change so perhaps that'll quiet it down a bit. If it gets louder or more pronounced I'll run it into the dealer but I doubt it's a problem. I think it's just a normal engine noise. As an engine gets older it gets noisier.

BTW, the tranny is noisy too. Lots of gear clash and gurgling but the thing shifts flawlessly. You can drive yourself nuts listening to all the sounds. I just turn the radio up.

2005 Solar Yellow TJ Sport

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
MT3Geiger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 05 Rubi ticks as well. Right @ 2K as others have described. I've also noticed that the clutch squeaks while pushing in and letting out the pedal. I hope that once I have the tub rhino-lined it will help to quiet things down a little.

(Not to sound like a yuppie cause I am not) But coming from my Mercedes to the Rubi has been night in day as far as sounds heard while operating go. And every other aspect as well.

Bottom line is I love my Jeep and what the heck, still got 57k on the warranty so if its not normal I'll find out soon enough.

Nathan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in