Thoughts/ideas on roll cages? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-11-2021, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thoughts/ideas on roll cages?

Hey all, looking to put an actual cage in my Jeep as it is an area I've overlooked for too long. I'd like to wheel confidently knowing I'm safe if I roll the vehicle. I'm mainly looking at the Poison Spyder kit, seems to be the best value at $1200, but I've seen some people on here complain that they don't like the A pillar stanchions that bolt to the dash and floor. Is this an actual concern? I know it's not as strong as tube but I can't find a kit that includes full tubes for the a pillar and I don't have the tools or experience to cut, notch and bend tube. The Genright kit is built the same way and both it and the PS kit look pretty strong and well built. I'm not doing Baja stuff, just rock crawling and trail riding, I don't need anything really crazy. Anyone have experience with either of these two kits?

And as a side note, is my Hobart Handler 140 enough to weld .120 wall tubing single pass? I would think so right??

Any advice is appreciated

"I'm just here for the gasoline"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2021, 03:37 PM
TJKTodd

Get the PS welded kit. PS is perfectly strong don't worry about the A pillars they have survived many bad roll overs. Yes your Hobart 140 is plenty for the Dom. 120 wall. But you will thank yourself for just buying the already welded one

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2021, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Get the PS welded kit. PS is perfectly strong don't worry about the A pillars they have survived many bad roll overs. Yes your Hobart 140 is plenty for the Dom. 120 wall. But you will thank yourself for just buying the already welded one

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
My only concern with that is the fitment, I feel it's usually better to weld something like this together in the vehicle it's going into. I've had to modify many parts that were supposed to be direct fit due to manufacturing tolerances on the vehicle. Did you have any issues with the install?

post #4 of 11 Old 07-12-2021, 12:45 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would not install ANY cage that only bolted to the A-pillar below the windshield frame. I did once before in my previous TJ, then I learned the error of my ways from many cage experts who saw it and explained its problems.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-12-2021, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I would not install ANY cage that only bolted to the A-pillar below the windshield frame. I did once before in my previous TJ, then I learned the error of my ways from many cage experts who saw it and explained its problems.
What sort of cage are you running now Jerry? Fab shops I've called in my city are giving me preliminary quotes of around 1800-2000 to have one built. No idea if that includes tying to the frame or not, or if that's something I absolutely need to do given the low-speed rock crawling I generally do with the Jeep. For some reason almost all of the weld-in cage kits I've seen people recommend while searching the forums (PolyPerformance, Koz, AtoZ, UCF etc.) are either no longer made or the companies have gone out of business. So unfortunately my options seem decidedly limited; not sure where to go from here.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMaster View Post
What sort of cage are you running now Jerry? Fab shops I've called in my city are giving me preliminary quotes of around 1800-2000 to have one built. No idea if that includes tying to the frame or not, or if that's something I absolutely need to do given the low-speed rock crawling I generally do with the Jeep. For some reason almost all of the weld-in cage kits I've seen people recommend while searching the forums (PolyPerformance, Koz, AtoZ, UCF etc.) are either no longer made or the companies have gone out of business. So unfortunately my options seem decidedly limited; not sure where to go from here.
The only reason cages that bolt to the A-pillar are popular is because they're easily installed at home and don't require any welding. But for low-speed rock crawling as I am a regular at too, including some VERY tough trais, I don't believe a full-on race-ready cage is needed. When we're rock crawling, it's rare to see anything more than a slow flop onto the side or perhaps onto the roof. If I was racing I'd absolutely have a full-cage now but since I am not a racer, I don't. I do have shoulder harnesses with a harness support bar welded to the B-pillar but that's it.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2021, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The only reason cages that bolt to the A-pillar are popular is because they're easily installed at home and don't require any welding. But for low-speed rock crawling as I am a regular at too, including some VERY tough trais, I don't believe a full-on race-ready cage is needed. When we're rock crawling, it's rare to see anything more than a slow flop onto the side or perhaps onto the roof. If I was racing I'd absolutely have a full-cage now but since I am not a racer, I don't. I do have shoulder harnesses with a harness support bar welded to the B-pillar but that's it.
So you just run with the stock rollbar? I'd like to have something that boxes the windshield in. Seeing all the pictures of TJ's with windshield frames folded into the passenger compartment after a rollover kinda got me spooked. I drive on the highway to and from trails where those kinds of accidents occur.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2021, 08:45 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The insurance industry actuarial tables rate the Wrangler significantly safer than the average car. Further the data says injuries in Wranglers are far less serious than average in the average car too. Average cost of repairs is also less in Wranglers.

If you're worried about highway accidents even a stock Wrangler is safer than your daily driver. Wranglers are heavier, have real frames, and their tubs stronger than the average unibody crackerbox.

It'd take a serious cage, not a bolt-in, to reduce the damage seen in the photo I think you're probably talking about. That was from a very high speed crash that a car would have come out much worse in.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-13-2021, 08:13 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My thoughts are that Yes, a full weld in cage custom built by a 'professional' is best
But
A single bolt on bar across the top of the windshield is still better than factory

I have seen people get into heated debates over which way is best, almost makes you feel you shouldn't leave the pavement without a full cage and shoulder harnesses

Myself I got the smitybuilt bolt in cage, better than factory and if ya dont like it, then think of it as a mount for my CB and Ham
post #10 of 11 Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
My thoughts are that Yes, a full weld in cage custom built by a 'professional' is best
But
A single bolt on bar across the top of the windshield is still better than factory

I have seen people get into heated debates over which way is best, almost makes you feel you shouldn't leave the pavement without a full cage and shoulder harnesses

Myself I got the smitybuilt bolt in cage, better than factory and if ya dont like it, then think of it as a mount for my CB and Ham
I think I'm gonna go with the Poison Spyder cage and build some frame tie ins on the A pillar and weld em on. It looks like a solid improvement over stock and it can be built on later if I want. Even a bolt on cage at least boxes the windshield area in which is my main concern. I've read through threads here and on wranglerforums and seen the debates lol, I really don't think I need a full chrome-moly cage with he door frames boxed in. I'm not running my Jeep on an Ultra4 track.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2021, 07:27 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you could look into TrailGear ...it has solid DOM A-pillar pre-bent which goes to the floor. Kit is minimal, but it's a great start at a great price.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in