For those in the rustbelt, is this of much concern? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
atikovi

For those in the rustbelt, is this of much concern?

Sold my TJ a while ago and respect the advice I got here about it. Have an SUV of another make that has some rust holes in the frame. In a southern area it would probably be called a rust bucket, but just trying to get an idea how bad it is. Has holes on both sides of the transmission crossmember on the left frame rail,

and a hole on the right rail at the rear,

Is this major rust for an 18 year old vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 06:33 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, those holes are a concern. A lot for 18 years? Maybe. Depending on location. Seems like a lot for Washington.

If I saw those holes on a TJ I could judge the extent of the rust elsewhere and the likely future repairs required. But I don't know what vehicle this is (Toyota? 4 Runner?) so I don't know whether rust in area "A" guarantees rust in area "B". Or what continued rust in these areas culminates to.

There are many who would tell you it's going to break in half tomorrow and kill everyone in a 50 mile radius, blah, blah, blah. Not happening. However, you do need to figure out what the likely outcome is going to be and the extent of further rust. You won't get that here. Find the forum for your vehicle. Surely someone has driven this vehicle in the salt belt for 20 years and 250,000 miles so you can predict your future.

97 TJ sport.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
atikovi

I remember some posts here a while back giving recommendations for shops in the northeast that specialize in rust repairs after somebody bought a Wrangler with major frame rust. Just can't find that topic. Haven't found anyone in the DC area but assume I would find some places further north in PA or NY that could weld in patch panels in a few hours. Would be worth the drive.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 08:02 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I live in Michigan which is a non inspection state and also in the salt belt. People stuff can just rot forever. I have had cars and trucks break when I try to lift them on a hoist. You have one of those vehicles. I am also a 40 year master mechanic. I will tell you that I would not own that vehicle. That rust you see is unibody type framework and the vehicle is way more compromised than those spots indicate. A really good used vehicle that is nearly new would cost you less to purchase than to chase that rust and really fix you vehicle properly.

In fact. That vehicle will never be structurally correct again at an affordable price. Rust spots like that take off so fast. That vehicle is JUNK. It has been structurally compromised in very bad places. I would be that I could find more spots that suck if I walked under it on a hoist.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
atikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
That rust you see is unibody type framework
It's body on frame actually.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So is this a 4runner? There is plenty of information out there on these. Read the forums, watch videos. Others have already been down this road.

Autorust sells SafeTCaps for 4Runners. Here is a list of installers on their website, many in Maryland:
https://www.autorust.com/safetcap-installer-network/

See video of install on a 4Runner:
https://www.autorust.com/in-house-service/

Far, far worse has been repaired on TJ's. Patching a frame doesn't make it structurally unsound. And 4runners are good vehicles that have incredible resale value just like Wranglers. To say it's not worth it based solely on those pictures is not accurate.

But you have to evaluate the vehicle as a whole. You must find all of the other rust and take note of all of the other problems before you decide whether it is worth repairing. One thing is for sure, if the vehicle is in decent condition someone else will repair that frame and drive it for many, many more miles.

There's a lot of room between a 4runner with only rust holes in the frame and the one in this video. They are not the same therefore you would not treat them the same. You have to figure our where yours is on the spectrum.
https://www.motor1.com/news/448984/t...er-hides-rust/

97 TJ sport.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2021, 03:13 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Better to fix it now, rather than later. It will only get worse. Any qualified welder can do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in