Thinking about buying this jeep but... pls help - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 111 Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The tires being backordered have nothing to do with it. It is obvious that someone beat on this rig hard at some point during its existance and/or did not maintain it very well if it has all these problems with 60K. If it is going to be a DD, who knows what is wrong that hasn't surfaced yet? I just don't want to see you get burned. Good luck with your decision.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
TheGuyFromNJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddernaught View Post
He's totally gonna buy that Jeep. Watch.
Went to the dealer for a final test drive.... 50mph and that thing vibrated like my old ladies... washing machine. Pop it in 4hi and smooth as glass, back in 2wd and back to vibrating.

So I WALKED!

On a side note, they really want my trade.. they offered to buy it on the spot for 7500. I told them I would get back to them on that.

Back to the searching.

Thanks again for all the advice!
post #93 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
talon282
1999 TJ Wrangler 

hmm to bad hope u fine what u want

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Blue_Jeep_Club member #318 gunmetal pearl

post #94 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good call on going slow and making sure it was the right one you want. You'll find yours soon.....
post #95 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
00tjtyler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

good call man

2000 tj 4 banger 3.25 rc lift 32 inch bfg ats
post #96 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 PM
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If nothing else you learned from this experience and will be better prepared the next time. A lot of these good buys you read about on here have to do with some experience/knowledge of what to look for, the patience to walk away which you did if it doesn't seem right and being at the right place at the right time. Keep looking, you'll find one! Good luck.
post #97 of 111 Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
TheGuyFromNJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In all honesty the dealer (like a previous poster said) was a jerk. Tried to rope me in with a shady financing scam. There were words about calling the bank and my lawyer before they let me leave with my trade.

But they offered 2500 more than book for my trade as I was walking away, so I might just take them up on the offer for them to buy my trade outright.

So now I am https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...5-rubi-988676/
post #98 of 111 Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
00tjtyler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If the offer is good id take it. That is if you know that your car is in bad shape and you cant get more for it.

2000 tj 4 banger 3.25 rc lift 32 inch bfg ats
post #99 of 111 Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
ChrisTJCO

2018 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromNJ View Post
Went to the dealer for a final test drive.... 50mph and that thing vibrated like my old ladies... washing machine. Pop it in 4hi and smooth as glass, back in 2wd and back to vibrating.

So I WALKED!

On a side note, they really want my trade.. they offered to buy it on the spot for 7500. I told them I would get back to them on that.

Back to the searching.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Just read this whole thread. I think you absolutely made the right call. Used car dealers can be a shady bunch - not always, but often. I'd be wary of their $7500 offer for your used. It sounds like a great deal, and if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If it really is no strings attached, I'd say go for it! $7500 would make a great down payment on a nice jeep.

After reading this thread, it makes me feel like maybe I paid too much for my Jeep ($8000 for a 97 Sahara with 115k miles...though it is in fantastic condition and seems to have never been wheeled at all).

Good luck with your search.
post #100 of 111 Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
TheGuyFromNJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, they offered 5k cash and pay off my 2500 note. Free and clear.
post #101 of 111 Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds almost EXACTLY what I went through a little over a year ago. I found a really clean white sahara 5 speed,75k, hard top for around 12grand from 1st choice auto in mechanicsburg. I took it for a test drive about 3 times and was pretty much dead set on buying it. The only thing I kept noticing was the oil pressure guage kept falling to 0 at idle and only went to 15 when driving. LITERALLY RIGHT BEFORE I started signing my name on the papers I asked them to bring it in the garage to let me look at the engine bay and undercarrage. Every other time they had cars in the bay. I checked the oil and it was dirty chocolate milk color mixed with oil! So then I checked the radiator and sure enough same thing. I was ****in pissed! I told them the whole deal didn't feel right. The guy said "it's hard to find a good decent mileage jeep without some dings and quirks unless you're willing to spend around 16k for a low mileage one if there's even one out there". I thanked him for his time and keep searching.

Around 2 weeks later I found my gem The toyota dealer just got in a low mileage 03 sahara 5 speed dual tops with 8,140 miles for 15,500. I think the 1st choice auto dealer somehow new they got one! They put it out that morning and I drove it and couldn't believe how all these things fell into place and bought it on the spot. Wasn't on the lot for 1 day! I knew it was the best deal I could have ever found. Keep searching a little longer, you'll find your gem.

FOR SALE
14,960 miles perfect condition
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
post #102 of 111 Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
TheGuyFromNJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well here is the deal, I am sold on a 05 Rubi. I am going to go back to the dealer and have them buy the Rubi from this other dealer, then I will buy it off them with my trade.

This is how it works out for me: They offered 7500 for my trade, they already have bank approval for the one I WAS going to buy from them (so no bank shopping or rate shopping needed), so they sell me this jeep from another dealer for the cash price. I would just go sell my trade then buy this jeep, but with the bank, they will see I already have 2 auto loans (because the payoff on my trade will not show soon enough on my credit report). They really, really want my trade!

So dealer will have to buy the rubi, then sell it to me. I already know the price of the rubi, so there should not be any mark-up, the financing is already in place, and the trade will be sold.
In a perfect world I should drive the rubi out of there with $2k cash in my pocket, my trade sold, and only a $8k loan at a great interest rate already arranged.

Any concerns?
post #103 of 111 Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 AM
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, in a perfect world it would go like that, but for us living here on earth things dont happen that smoothly. You want a dealer to buy a vehicle from another dealer, sell it to you with no mark up, pay off your trade and walk out with cash in your pocket? Yeah, good luck with that one.
post #104 of 111 Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
TheGuyFromNJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well the pay off trade thing is a sure bet. The walking with cash is a sure bet.

I already know the price of the rubi, and the dealer already has a buyer for my trade (with a $3k mark-up). I don't think they have any room to markup the rubi with me already knowing the price. Unless of course they get that rubi cheaper than I can.
post #105 of 111 Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 AM
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromNJ View Post
Well the pay off trade thing is a sure bet. The walking with cash is a sure bet.

I already know the price of the rubi, and the dealer already has a buyer for my trade (with a $3k mark-up). I don't think they have any room to markup the rubi with me already knowing the price. Unless of course they get that rubi cheaper than I can.
What your not taking into consideration is that the toyota dealer currently holds the title to the Rubi. In order for this other dealer to sell you the vehicle they would have to buy it from the toyota dealer and have the title transferred to them.
This all takes time and money. That's an awful lot to ask from a dealer that isn't going to make any extra money off the deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in