JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Thinking about buying this jeep but... pls help (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/thinking-about-buying-jeep-but-pls-help-983390/)

TheGuyFromNJ 03-03-2010 07:26 AM

Thinking about buying this jeep but... pls help

2 Attachment(s)
I have an interest in buying a 03 Sahara I6 5spd. The only aftermarket mod is a RC spring lift (not sure which one), the problem being it has a lot of vibration at 50+mph, more than likely from the drive line. It doesn't seem to change whether accelerating or coasting. It does have the TC drop as well. I don't know enough about lifts to diagnose, and none of the shops around me want anything to do with it for less than $100/hr. The dealer said they will make good on any repairs needed. I haven't committed to buying yet, but over all it is a sweet jeep.

Can you throw some ideas at me on things to check? Maybe something with the lift was not done right, or something has shifted or fallen out of place?

Thanks in advance.
http://images.carsforsale.com/292454...3P345093_6.jpg

01redtj 03-03-2010 07:29 AM

check the driveshafts or maybe it's bc the stock tires on a lifted jeep?

jerryjeeper 03-03-2010 07:29 AM

If the Dealer says he'll make good on the repairs, have him make the repairs BEFORE you buy the Jeep.

muddernaught 03-03-2010 07:31 AM

Yup, then get a grace period and wheel the hell out of it to shake out any bugs.

freeskier93 03-03-2010 07:33 AM

27 Attachment(s)
Tell the dealer to either take the lift off and give you a discount or put on a CV drive shaft. If it were me I would rather have the lift removed and buy my own one and install it myself, but thats me.

muddernaught 03-03-2010 07:34 AM

but wheel the hell out of it first

freeskier93 03-03-2010 07:36 AM

27 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by muddernaught (Post 9008672)
but wheel the hell out of it first

Yeah, then when you go back to the dealership with a bent tie rod just play stupid...;)

TheGuyFromNJ 03-03-2010 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I didnt actually commit to buying it yet, but it is in my driveway right now. :teehee:

A CV drive shaft isn't a solve all, right?

Removing the lift would require putting back a lot of stock parts? this is a used car dealer, not a jeep dealer.

Could it really be just because they went cheap with the tire size?

freeskier93 03-03-2010 07:50 AM

27 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuyFromNJ (Post 9008696)
I didnt actually commit to buying it yet, but it is in my driveway right now. :teehee:

A CV drive shaft isn't a solve all, right?

Removing the lift would require putting back a lot of stock parts? this is a used car dealer, not a jeep dealer.

Could it really be just because they went cheap with the tire size?

A CV shaft with a fixed yolk will solve your problem, AND you can get rid of the silly TC drop. If you go this route you should probably replace the
U-Joints and you will need adjustable upper control arms in the back to set the pinion angle.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but thats what happens when you have that big of a lift. That has to be at least 4 inches. If I were you I would buy the Jeep but ask for a discount and then remove the lift and put on a smaller lift. 2 inch lift with 1 inch body lift with 33 inch tires will take you almost anywhere.

muddernaught 03-03-2010 07:50 AM

Well, my jeep was lifted 4" w/ 33s and had a 44/30 when I bought it. I bought it used. When I took it for a test drive I took the owner to the lake and got it mildly dirty. Nothing serious, but I did get it out there in 4x and bounce around. Then I bought the guy lunch and we talked prices.

If you start to pull off the road and the sales person is like, "what are you doing?" Tell him you are test driving a Jeep, which was tested on the Rubicon trail. When starts to balk at that tell him to either let you get off road a little bit or fix the Jeep.

rideraa 03-03-2010 07:52 AM

I would walk away from it ... Look at 10 Jeeps for sale then but one. (the best value one of coarse).

I would get real nervous when some told me If you buy it I will pay for the repairs ... especially a dealer who should have the cash to fix it up front.

Tell him you will take it to a shop have it fixed, deduct that from the pre agreed price, thats what you pay him ... make sure its fixed before any of your money changes hands ....

slafferty 03-03-2010 07:52 AM

you will more than likely need an sye (slip yoke eliminator) and a new cv shaft.

freeskier93 03-03-2010 08:00 AM

27 Attachment(s)
Is this your first Jeep?

TheGuyFromNJ 03-03-2010 08:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The dealer never made mention of a lift, so it was not sold based on that.

I've looked at jeeps within 75 miles of me, this is by far the best value ($12k, 58K miles) priced low by other dealer standards.

This is my first TJ, I have had a few CJs.

LL247 03-03-2010 08:08 AM

It's a little sketchy that they haven't fixed it before it was put on the lot. Any dealer that doesn't drive, diagnose, and fix potential issues prior to offering it for sale...well...:nono:

The time now is 06:47 AM.