Which of these bumpers offers more (if any) protection than the others? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
thejafe

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Which of these bumpers offers more (if any) protection than the others?

Let the debate begin :

Stock TJ bumper or the ones below. Or does it really not matter because stock is paper thin and the other two are so close to the frame rail? You decide...

Rokmen:

Pro-Comp

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0028.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you see my reply in your other thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
I am running that bumper. My plan was to build a drop down tire carrier off of it, but that changed.

I have only looked into Oregon laws, which have very little about bumpers, but nothing says it would be illegal. I can't think of anything as to why it would be. My old YJ came with bumperettes, which I believe was an option? I feel much better about taking a hit with this bumper than a bumperette.

I though about what would happen if someome hit me with that bumper. Since my Jeep is lifted, and i'm sure yours is too. I would think a car or lower auto would deflect down, or just hit the tank skid. Not much different then a stock bumper. If it's a larger truck, you're pretty much screwed anyway IMO. I'm not too worried about it.

The bumper itself is beefy. It was a kind of a pain to install though. You have to notch the rear crossmember to fit the back of the recovery mounts, which wasn't bad. It was a PITA to get it bolted up though. About half of the bolt holes did not line up. Nothing I couldn't fix pretty easy, but it caused a few swear words for the neighbors to enjoy.

I would really reccomend getting the frame tie-ins as well.

I took off a ****ybilt bumper/carrier that has the same bumper as the procomp. The Rokmen has much more beef to it, while the procomp might give you a little space. I think the height of the bumper is going to be the biggest factor in a rear end crash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at the rear tire, and let me know if you think the rear bumper will ever come into play....

I've been rear-ended twice in my Jeep. Both times the spare took the impact.

post #4 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
thejafe

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you see my reply in your other thread?
Woah, no I must have missed that post somehow. Yeah, I do love the design of the Rokmen but I'm concerned about a rear end impact. Then I was thinking about it and if in reality the stock bumper would really offer any level of protection whatsoever. If not, what would the difference be between the two in terms of protection, really? Not a whole hell of a lot. The Pro-Comp is advertised as 1/4" steel and once mounted up it's spaced out a bit from the frame. In the end would this really make a difference in an impact? Not sure. I do know that if any cars were to rearend end me that they'd probably hit my gas tank first.

I do have the Pro Comp bumper on the way and only paid $115 shipped. I'll inspect it when it arrives and if I'm really not happy with the construction I might just go Rokmen.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Take a look at the rear tire, and let me know if you think the rear bumper will ever come into play....

I've been rear-ended twice in my Jeep. Both times the spare took the impact.
Great point. I forgot about that since my spare is pretty high up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
Woah, no I must have missed that post somehow. Yeah, I do love the design of the Rokmen but I'm concerned about a rear end impact. Then I was thinking about it and if in reality the stock bumper would really offer any level of protection whatsoever. If not, what would the difference be between the two in terms of protection, really? Not a whole hell of a lot. The Pro-Comp is advertised as 1/4" steel and once mounted up it's spaced out a bit from the frame. In the end would this really make a difference in an impact? Not sure. I do know that if any cars were to rearend end me that they'd probably hit my gas tank first.

I do have the Pro Comp bumper on the way and only paid $115 shipped. I'll inspect it when it arrives and if I'm really not happy with the construction I might just go Rokmen.
I think either bumper would be better then the factory tin. That being said I believe the idea around the factory bumper is it bends to take some of the impact. With a stronger bumper you run into the idea that you might be transfering that energy to other parts of the Jeep.

In my case I think most auto's would submarine under the rear of my Jeep, with any bumper. I did like that the Rokman is a full C( top, face, bottom), while the procomp style is a top and the angled face, if that makes sense.

post #6 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Above post has a good reminder. If you make your Jeep "bullet-proof" and nothing gives during an accident all the energy is transfered in bad ways. One reason you see so much carnage in Indy races when they crash is that each piece that bends or flys off takes energy with it and reduces the force acting on the driver.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 17yr old speeding little prick that was the last person to run into me was driving a little ricer. He did submarine under me. My spare tire wrinkled his hood all the way back to the windshield while my Kilby gas skid smashed his radiator up into his fan and engine block. My bumper? Nary a mark.

Quote:

In my case I think most auto's would submarine under the rear of my Jeep, with any bumper.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The 17yr old speeding little prick that was the last person to run into me was driving a little ricer. He did submarine under me. My spare tire wrinkled his hood all the way back to the windshield while my Kilby gas skid smashed his radiator up into his fan and engine block. My bumper? Nary a mark.
Bah, you're an amateur. I once totalled a Ford Probe in a parking lot at less than 5 mph.

Pulled out to the street, realized I had forgotten something, put it in reverse and backed up. Unbeknownst to me, some foolio pulled up right under the bumper and I could not see him out either side mirror or the rear view. When I hit him, I could not figure out why the rig wouldn't move.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

I vote Rokmen, it looks like a good design if you're not going to run a bumper mounted spare tire carrier. Take a good close look at the thin metal that the factory bumper bolts to, I was just talking to one of my fellow Jeep Klub members today about the rear bumper mounting. He had some nice frame tie ins that he's about to install, plus he had a custom reinforcment plate to go behind the entire rear crossmember the bumper bolts to. After closely examining how the rear bumper is actually atached, and what it's attached to, I sure hope my rear bumper never takes a good hard hit from dropping off a ledge, I'm now planning some severe shaving to bring it in closer, and doing the frame tie ins as well.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Bah, you're an amateur. I once totalled a Ford Probe in a parking lot at less than 5 mph.

Pulled out to the street, realized I had forgotten something, put it in reverse and backed up. Unbeknownst to me, some foolio pulled up right under the bumper and I could not see him out either side mirror or the rear view. When I hit him, I could not figure out why the rig wouldn't move.
I did about the same thing a few weeks ago!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like my genright crossmember. It's similar to the Rokmen one, but ties into the body mounts to beef them up as well. Genright one is also much cheaper and you can get the tire carrier one with the d-ring for recovery.

Haven't finished painting it though:

post #12 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No more 2 fast 2 furious for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I vote Rokmen, it looks like a good design if you're not going to run a bumper mounted spare tire carrier. Take a good close look at the thin metal that the factory bumper bolts to, I was just talking to one of my fellow Jeep Klub members today about the rear bumper mounting. He had some nice frame tie ins that he's about to install, plus he had a custom reinforcment plate to go behind the entire rear crossmember the bumper bolts to. After closely examining how the rear bumper is actually atached, and what it's attached to, I sure hope my rear bumper never takes a good hard hit from dropping off a ledge, I'm now planning some severe shaving to bring it in closer, and doing the frame tie ins as well.
I though you just asked questions. Tie-ins are a must. I wouldn't consider doing any kind of a recovery off the bumper with out them.

post #13 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
No more 2 fast 2 furious for him!

I though you just asked questions. Tie-ins are a must. I wouldn't consider doing any kind of a recovery off the bumper with out them.
I ask a million questions, it's one of my redeaming qualities, lol why, you gotta problem with that?
post #14 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I like my genright crossmember. It's similar to the Rokmen one, but ties into the body mounts to beef them up as well. Genright one is also much cheaper and you can get the tire carrier one with the d-ring for recovery.

Haven't finished painting it though:

Hmmm... Now i need to do more research, lol Any other styles similar to the Rokmen and Genright?
post #15 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Hmmm... Now i need to do more research, lol Any other styles similar to the Rokmen and Genright?
TNT has a crossmember, but I've heard stories of poor fitment with there's. There's is a full replacement, not one that slips one the old one, so it requires welding. I didn't have a problem with welding, but when there are other options that are bolt on, and are plenty strong, it didn't seem worth the effort. Plus with the genright if you get tired of the crossmember look you can throw on a savvy bumper or something that low profile, but you still have a beefy crossmember and tie ins for strength.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in