There's a hole in my transfer case! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As said above, don't drive it. Your transfer case is working, spinning, and powering at least the rear axle whether you're in 2wd or 4x4.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 PM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, here's an approach for the risk takers. The bottom edge of the hole looks like it half way between the fill hole and the drain hole. On flat ground fill it up through the fill hole until it starts seeping out of the added hole. That should be about a topped off as your going to get it. Since it's already toast and you might not care about collateral damage. I am thinking worst case it might finally seize up and lock the front or rear shaft and snap it. The now broken driveshaft falls and catches the moving road and bounces your jeep off the ground, maybe busting your rear pinion on the axle or maybe just some horrible sounding crunching bending sounds from the front end. Just hope you are nowhere near a cliff or oncoming traffic, you know nuns and such. Not sure, but could guess it could lock up in a way at speed and take the transmission out? Or it goes much better than that for a while and it just slings and splashes the oil out all over until it's at the level of fluid gets to where it's at now and eventually burns up some stuff cause it's not being run near what the operation fluid level is. The outlook isn't good. I wouldn't drive it anywhere there are other people or peoples stuff.
post #18 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with trying to add ATF and driving it afterward is that hole didn't happen by itself. Something inside the transfer case came loose or broke, likely the chain, and broke that hole from the inside. You're just asking for a catastrophic failure if the OP tries to drive with it as is.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #19 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Okay, here's an approach for the risk takers. The bottom edge of the hole looks like it half way between the fill hole and the drain hole. On flat ground fill it up through the fill hole until it starts seeping out of the added hole. That should be about a topped off as your going to get it. Since it's already toast and you might not care about collateral damage. I am thinking worst case it might finally seize up and lock the front or rear shaft and snap it. The now broken driveshaft falls and catches the moving road and bounces your jeep off the ground, maybe busting your rear pinion on the axle or maybe just some horrible sounding crunching bending sounds from the front end. Just hope you are nowhere near a cliff or oncoming traffic, you know nuns and such. Not sure, but could guess it could lock up in a way at speed and take the transmission out? Or it goes much better than that for a while and it just slings and splashes the oil out all over until it's at the level of fluid gets to where it's at now and eventually burns up some stuff cause it's not being run near what the operation fluid level is. The outlook isn't good. I wouldn't drive it anywhere there are other people or peoples stuff.
Thank you for clarifying. The jeep is now at a shop for a diagnosis. I've found a good looking case on ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...c2dc6d&vxp=mtr ), but I'm hoping the fix just requires something along these lines: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CMwBEKYrMAY with some fresh fluid.

I apologize to everyone I annoyed in this thread by not having a firm understanding of this part of the drive train. Actually, isn't that why I have an account on here?

Dang, I finally have a TJ.
post #20 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan View Post
-The only advice I received was, "I wouldn't drive it."
-My question was, why not? I wanted definitive evidence suggesting the problem could escalate. Your post was rude and uninformative. Thanks for that.
-Also... You're*

Thanks for being blunt. I'm not familiar with the anatomy inside the t case, so I wasn't sure if the rear drive shaft simply moved through it. I will take it in tomorrow.

I appreciate the explanation. That's just what I was looking for and hoping not to find. I'm glad you two were exponentially more informative than brokenyoujoint.

If you drive it, that is the equivalent of having a piston seize up in the cylinder bore, dropping the oil pan and removing the connecting rod so you could keep driving it. It may work for awhile, but it won't work forever.

That is about a 300 dollar repair at the most if you can do the work yourself. Given your horrid lack of maintenance though, I suspect that you will find more issues that will really slow down the t-case swap.

Find a used compatible t-case, swap it in and turn the radio down. That didn't get that way quietly, it made some noise to let you know that there was bad stuff going on.

If you were mechanically inclined, you could pop off the front driveshaft, pull the back have of the case and remove the chain and front output shaft assembly. After that you could pack some grease in the planetary gear and that would buy you some time until you find a case, but again, that only temporary and it will eventually fail.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #21 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankeenan View Post
Actually, isn't that why I have an account on here?
I have a very firm understanding of how it works so no it wouldn't be why I have an account. We all have them for different reasons, not all are the same.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #22 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rear driveshaft when in 2hi just passes power straight through, doesn't use any gears or chains.

If you pull the front shaft the chain won't spin when driving. Might have to wire up the output shaft so it doesnt spin from internal/oil drag.

Probably could have covered up the hole, put fluid in it, and driven around for quite awhile. It'd be a time bomb though.

If you filter out everything that has bad spelling and grammar, you can believe 95% of what you read on the Internet.
post #23 of 52 Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 PM
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My god that is quite the hole! I have a spare 231 but I'm in Canada
post #24 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 AM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, someone actually run their case till it wore a hole in the side...good job
post #25 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 AM
bdserv
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
Rear driveshaft when in 2hi just passes power straight through, doesn't use any gears or chains.

If you pull the front shaft the chain won't spin when driving. Might have to wire up the output shaft so it doesnt spin from internal/oil drag.

Probably could have covered up the hole, put fluid in it, and driven around for quite awhile. It'd be a time bomb though.
The output shaft goes through bearings. Bearings need lubrication. Lubrication comes from TC fluid.
post #26 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure why you're set on rebuilding it, 231's can be had for around $200. Throw a used one in and go.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2004 Toyota Tundra DC SR5
post #27 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
maybe it's just me, but the bigger hole on the top & sides looked almost to perfect to be ripped. The bottom edge looks ripped off, but the sides look & top don't. Is that spot a known weak spot in the TC case??
post #28 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 AM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw
Nice, someone actually run their case till it wore a hole in the side...good job
I was thinking the same kind of thing, and it's still drivable (well sort of I suppose). Sure does show how robust the 231 is. It will make me worry a little less the next time my rear output starts leaking a little fluid.
post #29 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
maybe it's just me, but the bigger hole on the top & sides looked almost to perfect to be ripped. The bottom edge looks ripped off, but the sides look & top don't. Is that spot a known weak spot in the TC case??
From what I am gathering, the worn out chain has been knocking around the inside of the case. I would suspect that there are ribs and gussets lining the edges of the breaks.

Sean, this is among the reasons why you will be replacing rather than repairing your transfer case. There is more than just a hole in the case. Something far more fundamental caused it, like lack of maintenance.

How long have you had the Jeep? How many miles are on it?

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 52 Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I was thinking the same kind of thing, and it's still drivable (well sort of I suppose). Sure does show how robust the 231 is. It will make me worry a little less the next time my rear output starts leaking a little fluid.
I'm trying to figure out how the output shaft bearing hasn't died yet. Unless it semi died and then wore out enough to not seize up.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in