TeraFlex Hi-Steer kit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

TeraFlex Hi-Steer kit

Anybody running it? Pros? Cons? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=13254

I know a new track bar would be needed. Just wondering if anybody out there has one of these.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Bump
post #3 of 59 Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Bump again...

post #4 of 59 Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Wrangler11

2002 WJ 

Most people on here go with the currie setup

2018 JK Sport
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid (dd)
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (camping offload toy)
post #5 of 59 Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Well, the Currie setup is fine and dandy. A few of my buddies run that setup. Very very very beefy. But, I am in the market for a crossover / hi-steer set up.
post #6 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Bump
post #7 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Man
Well, the Currie setup is fine and dandy. A few of my buddies run that setup. Very very very beefy. But, I am in the market for a crossover / hi-steer set up.
How you gonna solve the bumpsteer problem?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
cookeab
Flatlander

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im a believer

I run it and it is very solid. No complaints. I have parked the majority of the weight of my TJ on the tie rod (due to a rock moving and a heavy foot) and there were scratches, but no bends or damage. I have other friends who have done similar things to theirs at tellico and no damage.
post #9 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
How you gonna solve the bumpsteer problem?
I read in the installation PDF that a DPA is only needed in Tera's Low COG lift kit application... They have since revised the knuckle to allow the use of a stock Pitman arm. I HOPE this will alleviate me of any bumpsteer. If not, then I will tinker with it until it is gone.

As always, I am open for suggestions.

Here is the installation PDF:

http://www.teraflex.biz/installsheet...SK_install.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeab
I run it and it is very solid. No complaints. I have parked the majority of the weight of my TJ on the tie rod (due to a rock moving and a heavy foot) and there were scratches, but no bends or damage. I have other friends who have done similar things to theirs at tellico and no damage.
Good to hear! What did you use for a trackbar and bracket? I know JKS makes an over the axle bracket, and I could probably have a buddy help me fab up a new panhard bar.
post #10 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run the tera flex and it is the bigges piece of **** I have ever been around. The tie rod is bent up like a bow that you would shoot arrows with. Here is a pic just to show you. I have to align it everytime I go wheeling as it keeps bending up more an more. I'm about out of nut to adjust it. I'll be sleaveing it and writing **** YOU ON IT!!!

BUY IT DONT' BUILD IT!! You will be money and time ahead. (Flip off)
post #11 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

BUY IT DONT' BUILD IT!! You will be money and time ahead. (Flip off)
post #12 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Wow... Do you have lots of bumpsteer with your stock track bar configuration? I would imagine that has everything to do with why you don't like it. And how on earth did the tie rod get bent? Drop your Jeep off a cliff and it landed on the tie rod? That thing is huge...
post #13 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Man
I read in the installation PDF that a DPA is only needed in Tera's Low COG lift kit application... They have since revised the knuckle to allow the use of a stock Pitman arm. I HOPE this will alleviate me of any bumpsteer. If not, then I will tinker with it until it is gone.

As always, I am open for suggestions.

Here is the installation PDF:

http://www.teraflex.biz/installsheet...SK_install.pdf

Good to hear! What did you use for a trackbar and bracket? I know JKS makes an over the axle bracket, and I could probably have a buddy help me fab up a new panhard bar.
Typical Tera. Look at Figure 1 and Figure 2 which show what is supposed to be the "correct" and "incorrect" relationships between the draglink and trackbars to minimize bumpsteer.

Notice that if you were to superimpose the two drawings on top of each other by flipping the bottom one up, the two sets of arcs would nearly line up with each other. Meaning that bumpsteer would still exist because the arcs are not parallel to one another.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #14 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Sahara Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Typical Tera. Look at Figure 1 and Figure 2 which show what is supposed to be the "correct" and "incorrect" relationships between the draglink and trackbars to minimize bumpsteer.

Notice that if you were to superimpose the two drawings on top of each other by flipping the bottom one up, the two sets of arcs would nearly line up with each other. Meaning that bumpsteer would still exist because the arcs are not parallel to one another.
Good catch.

Although, Figure 2 is still using a factory style trackbar, so I'm sure the standard reply would be just the same as Toxic TJ's. Crappy. I'm sure if the kit was installed properly and a panhard bar was used (Figure 3), I doubt there would be any complaints. I think I'll buy this kit and ream out the knuckles to put the tie rod over the knuckle, install a flat trackbar, and call it a day. Worst comes to worst, I can always sell it.
post #15 of 59 Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 PM
VZEHLER

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is Teraflex the only way to go for a high steer set-up on a TJ... If so, Im just wondering why there isn't more aftermarket support for this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in