Teach me about pinion bearing preload - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-26-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot

Teach me about pinion bearing preload

I took the Jeep to get a U joint replaced (dont have a vice, plus I wanted someone to look at the TJ and see if they noticed anything I hadnt) in an attempt to solve a cluncking sound when turning and speeding up. They replaced it and said that the pinion bearing preload was off or something and that something was very hard to turn (diveshaft I assume) anyways I tried searches on a lot of forums but have not come across much about it, all that the searches point to is that I will have to have the gears re-installed when the pinion bearings are replaced/serviced... if thats the case Id get some appropriate gearing finally for my 35s, but in the meantime Id like to know more about my problem and if Im driving on a ticking time bomb.

BTW I did do a pinion seal replacement a month or so ago and the clanking
"seems" to have started after that, I torqued the pinion nut to 140-150, thats all my torque wrench would read... I know its supposed to go to 180... I assume this is the start of my problems... axle is a dana 44, no crush washer.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-26-2004, 04:34 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The pinion pre-load on a D44 should be (14-19) inch pounds on a new bearing and (6-9) inch lbs on a used bearing, i'm assuming when you replaced the pinion seal you put the old bearing back in. Chances are your preload is too high and the pinion bearing is shot. Cheap fix though. Are you sure about the pinion nut? 180 ftlbs, is alot.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot

when I replaced the pinion seal I didnt replace any other bearing at all... Im confused what are you talking about?

post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksspot
when I replaced the pinion seal I didnt replace any other bearing at all... Im confused what are you talking about?
When you took the pinion out to replace the seal, and when you put it back together you got the pinion preload too tight. If you say you kept the same pinion bearing, follow the used bearing torque specs to correct the preload as stated in my 1st reply.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Stormtrooper

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is...

My guess is that your preload is not enough. The preload comes from squeezing the two opposed taper bearings together between the pinion gear and the pinion nut. The more they are squeezed together, the harder it is to turn the pinion shaft. You need preload, otherwise your pinion shaft will be sloppy, and could make a clunking noise at it racks around. Proper preload is indicated by a measurable amount of resistance to turning (torque) of the pinion shaft and its measured in in-lbs. I donít know of any published correlation between the pinion nut torque and pinion bearing preload. You just have to torque the pinion nut in small amounts, then measure the preload, until the preload is within specifications. Again, I think you need more preload.

Iím sure that the pinion seal is replaceable without removing the outer pinion bearing. You shouldnít need to go past the oil slinger.

Cheers, Steve
post #6 of 6 Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
redjeep2

I think he just pulled the yoke off and then the seal, then replaced the seal and put the yoke back on at 180.

When you tighten the yoke down you are setting the preload for the pinion bearings, at least to some extent. Mostly the preload is set with shims inside the housing but i am assuming you didnt change those. So the more you tighten the nut on the yoke the more preload you are putting on the pinion bearings. You should start at 160 ft lbs min and tighten a little until you get the preload right. Preload is measured by measuring how hard the pinion turns, how hard it is just to spin the yoke, and this is measured in inch lbs, you need a real small torque wrench or real real good feel. Most the time you measure this with the carrier out of the differential(when you rebuild one) but in your case it should be ok to pull the wheels and drums, you will still have axles turning but that shouldnt be much. Also measure this as it is rotating, not what it takes to get it started rotating. Preload like someone else said is 10-20 inch lbs for used bearings and twice that for new, you can be a little over that and still be ok.

It is hard to say what is would pull the wheels and drums and see how hard it is to spin the pinion as a stariting place.

hope that helped

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in