Tap locations for headlights and reverse? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Tap locations for headlights and reverse?

Are there any easy locations under the dash to tap the reverse circuit? Preferably closest to the center bottom of the dash under the radio area near the HVAC controls (next best is under the console).

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The output from the NSS is a violet/black wire which enters the body at the left side near the brake booster.
From there it drops down to connector C107 (yellow) pin B8.

Headlamp low beam wire is violet/white and marker light wire is black/yellow.
Headlamp wire goes from the switch via C107 pin A4.
Marker lamp goes through C107 pin B10.

All then run in the wiring loom below the left door and to the rear of the tub where the loom drops down to the rear lights.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
The output from the NSS is a violet/black wire which enters the body at the left side near the brake booster.
From there it drops down to connector C107 (yellow) pin B8.

Headlamp low beam wire is violet/white and marker light wire is black/yellow.
Headlamp wire goes from the switch via C107 pin A4.
Marker lamp goes through C107 pin B10.

All then run in the wiring loom below the left door and to the rear of the tub where the loom drops down to the rear lights.
When does NSS have 12v power?

Is the connector the one with the lock icons on it (left in the attached picture)? Can I disconnect it and probe the firewall side of the connector for 12v? My Jeep won't start but I can connect a battery up and iirc the lights still function with the key rolled forward to on (or else I'll have to wait to do these last 2 wires until my build is done)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't reverse and NSS, 2 different things ?

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can also pickup the b/u feed from the compass/temp mirror pigtail that runs along the top of the dash under the long plastic strip, also violet/black wire. It might be easier to get it from there rather than in the kick panel area.

The NSS & back up switch are combined & called the transmission range sensor. It gets 12v from fuse 7 in the fuse block & when in reverse it sends 12v to the back up lights through the violet/black wire as Jonny stated.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm an idiot. I forgot to attach the pic.

Good to know about the mirror having the back up as well. Out of curiosity what does the mirror use it for?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190909_211822_1568151905625.jpg  

post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The mirror is self dimming which is disabled when in reverse so you can better see through the mirror when backing up.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting. I've never noticed.

I think my shortest runs will be to the wiring harness by the door. Which connector do I need? There's 3 main connectors. The 2 I pictured and another just above it that is white with a lock icon. None are yellow and I can't see C107 written on them.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I do not recognize those connectors or their location. The C-107 is in the kick panel. Here is a diagram from the FSM. The wire you need is at pin B-8.
Attached Thumbnails
04 Kick Panel.jpg  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I do not recognize those connectors or their location. The C-107 is in the kick panel. Here is a diagram from the FSM. The wire you need is at pin B-8.
Perfect. It looks like the connectors I took a picture of are C107 and C170. I think marker lights will be more useful for the "night time" circuit my gauges need.

I'll see about hooking up a battery tomorrow and probing that connector to verify before snipping.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Rather than start a new thread, does the fuel pump run directly off acc, or does the ecu control it such as turning it off in the event of an accident?

I'm likely going to be running an entirely different fuel pump in my cell and probably will need more power to it but I want to make sure I'm turning it on and off safely.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-13-2019, 02:10 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump relay coil has constant 12V and PCM controlled ground. It works in exactly the same way as the ASD relay, so if the engine stops the power to the pump will be cut.

Thanks to Rubi for dropping in to confirm what I'd added earlier and provide more info.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-13-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much to both of you for the info! You saved me a lot of time trying to figure stuff out on my own. Just one note for anyone in the future, the plug must be connected to test since the trans shift harness and the multifunction switch run through it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in