Synthetic Winch Rope? - JeepForum.com
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Synthetic Winch Rope?

I have a Warn M8000 with steel cable that I want to replace with synthetic rope. The steel cable is 3/8” diameter, 100ft. In looking at replacement rope of the same diameter and length, I’m noticing a HUGE disparity in prices. On Amazon, I see it for $100 to $150. When I go to the Warn website, their Spydura brand is $325, and some of their others are up to $500.

My question is twofold:

1. Is the Warn rope superior to the “off-brand” stuff, in the same fashion that a Warn winch is superior to some of the cheaper brands? (Thereby making the extra cost justified)

2. How can Warn offer their current 8K winch with synthetic rope for a total price of around $550, if the line itself is $325? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 10-15-2019, 01:08 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
I have a Warn M8000 with steel cable that I want to replace with synthetic rope. The steel cable is 3/8” diameter, 100ft. In looking at replacement rope of the same diameter and length, I’m noticing a HUGE disparity in prices. On Amazon, I see it for $100 to $150. When I go to the Warn website, their Spydura brand is $325, and some of their others are up to $500.

My question is twofold:

1. Is the Warn rope superior to the “off-brand” stuff, in the same fashion that a Warn winch is superior to some of the cheaper brands? (Thereby making the extra cost justified)

2. How can Warn offer their current 8K winch with synthetic rope for a total price of around $550, if the line itself is $325? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1) It depends on the material the "off brand" is using.
Submarineaz likes this.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 50 Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The PO who bought synthetic line for my Warn 8000 paid $245 from Desert Rat but a brand is not listed. It says the rating is 10,000lbs and it is 3/8". As long as it's Dyneema I would feel confident buying it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
some ropes are better than others.
if i wanted really good rope i would look into bubba rope.
i bet most decent winch ropes would work well for a few years.
will they hold up long term is the question?
rope ages over time and uses.

i had blue amsteel on my old 8274, it was way old!
help up well!

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #5 of 50 Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 PM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
To 53Flattie,

Some observations:

1. Spydura winch rope is high quality. It has a UV protective coating that many synthetic winch ropes do not have. However, whether Spydura or another brand is "better" is highly subjective. The major suppliers all sell products with a load rating sufficient for an M8000. The "no name" products that can be found on Ebay and other inline sites are cheaper, but the true quality and strength is an unknown.

2. Although the M8000s ships with 100' of 3/8" Spydura synthetic winch line, 100' is actually too long because in any kind of side pull the winch line will spool on one side with the very real possibility of damaging the winch tie rods or drum supports. 85' is a better length, even if it means cutting 15' off a brand new 100' Spydura winch line.

3. My personal preference for synthetic winch line is the product sold by Tactical Recovery Equipment (TRE) with a Safety Thimble II. When I purchased my M8000s I replaced the brand new Spydura winch line with an orange 3/8" 85' winch rope from TRE, shown below. [Imagine how full the drum would be with an additional 15' of winch rope.] https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.co...ic-winch-rope/

4. I still have my Spydura winch rope, cut to 85' and the gusseted thimble professionally re-spliced but otherwise unused, in a box sitting on my spare parts shelf. I could be persuaded to part with it at a fair price if you are looking for a Spydura winch rope to replace the steel cable on your M8000. Send me a private message if that is of interest to you.
Attached Thumbnails
TRE winch line and Safety Thimble installed.jpg   TRE winch line from above.jpg  

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #6 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBills View Post
To 53Flattie,

Some observations:

1. Spydura winch rope is high quality. It has a UV protective coating that many synthetic winch ropes do not have. However, whether Spydura or another brand is "better" is highly subjective. The major suppliers all sell products with a load rating sufficient for an M8000. The "no name" products that can be found on Ebay and other inline sites are cheaper, but the true quality and strength is an unknown.

2. Although the M8000s ships with 100' of 3/8" Spydura synthetic winch line, 100' is actually too long because in any kind of side pull the winch line will spool on one side with the very real possibility of damaging the winch tie rods or drum supports. 85' is a better length, even if it means cutting 15' off a brand new 100' Spydura winch line.

3. My personal preference for synthetic winch line is the product sold by Tactical Recovery Equipment (TRE) with a Safety Thimble II. When I purchased my M8000s I replaced the brand new Spydura winch line with an orange 3/8" 85' winch rope from TRE, shown below. [Imagine how full the drum would be with an additional 15' of winch rope.] https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.co...ic-winch-rope/

4. I still have my Spydura winch rope, cut to 85' and the gusseted thimble professionally re-spliced but otherwise unused, in a box sitting on my spare parts shelf. I could be persuaded to part with it at a fair price if you are looking for a Spydura winch rope to replace the steel cable on your M8000. Send me a private message if that is of interest to you.

Bummer TRE doesn't sell O.J. sleeves, mostly because I'm too lazy to go buy the steel to make one.

post #7 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarineaz View Post

Bummer TRE doesn't sell O.J. sleeves, mostly because I'm too lazy to go buy the steel to make one.
OJ sleeves?
screenshot_20191016-103311_google_1571243649457.jpg
grogie likes this.

2003 Rubicon

post #8 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
What are "OJ sleeves?"

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #9 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm sold on Tactical Recovery Equipment (TRE). Very happy with their products.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
post #10 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Arso Martinera

Hello !
If you buy a rope, buy one that is made from Amsteel blue....nothing else is even close and its more UV resistant.
post #11 of 50 Old 10-16-2019, 04:57 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gemstone offroad has quality recovery gear and rope as well.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #12 of 50 Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

An OJ sleeve is for the Hi Lift, firefighters use them to stabilize vehicles. It would be great for times you want your Hi Lift as stable as possible like when changing a tire or putting rocks under one.

http://www.firstduetackle.com/2012/0...h-new-sleeves/

http://www.firstduetackle.com/2012/0...hlon-training/

post #13 of 50 Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OJ sleeve
Attached Images

post #14 of 50 Old 10-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

ahhh. most of us dont recommend using a hi-lift jack
popeyesides likes this.

post #15 of 50 Old 10-17-2019, 12:46 PM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
ahhh. most of us dont recommend using a hi-lift jack
People who recommend not using one definitely shouldn't. Nor matches, firearms, hot water...
Ross likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in