Switch blanks.... in the center of the dash. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-11-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
denalijb

Switch blanks.... in the center of the dash.

Anyone know how to remove the blank pieces of plastic out of the switch bay right next to the lighter? I have two that are used and one free. I want to use the plastic piece for a mount for a switch I'm putting in. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
penguinland

Remove the front panel that surrounds the radio etc. it's only 4 screws. Take a small flat screwdriver and insert it between the blank and the panel. It should release from the tab and slide right out. If you are going to mount a switch in the blank you will want to use a dremel to drill the hole as a drill bit will shatter the plastic. I broke 2 when I was putting my foglights switch in

2004 WJ 4.0
2" BDS springs + 3/4" spacers up front , Goodyear Duratrac 245/75R16, Yaesu FT-7900R
post #3 of 12 Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
James04TJ

The blanks are a PIA to get out. I just broke them out. I forget what the correct size switch is for the dash but they have exact fit switches at Western Auto and they even have a small tab on them to show what the switch is for.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
yurmom22

Follow the instructions given above...the center dash piece is not difficult to remove at all...and then you can just push out the 'blank' pieces once the center bezel is out. I did this last weekend to install a switch for my lights...

HTH
post #5 of 12 Old 08-11-2004, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
denalijb

Sweet thanks all, I'm getting sick of my garage door opener and I'm going to hide it in the dash somewhere.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
adz4play
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dunno if im going blind but i cant see any tiny screws on my dash centre panel. Ive got a daystar switch to fit for my spots...
post #7 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM
ajf1994

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz4play View Post
dunno if im going blind but i cant see any tiny screws on my dash centre panel. Ive got a daystar switch to fit for my spots...
On my '04, the procedure is to remove the horizontal piece across the top of the dash. Then take out the two screws on top (phillips). Then with some gentle prying, the whole center section will pop out. Then, the bottom part that holds the switches has four screws around the perimeter that need to be removed. Then you are good to go!

-SupportOurTroops-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
adz4play
1999 TJ Wrangler 

cheers dude, ill have a play tomorrow, its getting dark now..
post #9 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 AM
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The early models have another screw behind the ash tray securing the centre section.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 AM
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denalijb View Post
Sweet thanks all, I'm getting sick of my garage door opener and I'm going to hide it in the dash somewhere.
I did that a couple summers ago in mine. Pulled the opener apart, wired in a momentary contact switch to mounted it behind the dash with the switch in one of the blanks. Worked out great, and it was one less thing to leave loose in the Jeep with the top being down all the time so I was happy.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

To get to the top screws you need to (gently) pry up the very top piece of dash that runs parallel and adjacent to the base of the windshield. There are five spring-clips that hold it in place spaced approximately evenly along it's length. That will expose the two screw that secure the top of the center dash piece.

Next, remove the ash tray and there should be a third screw behind that. Once all three screws are out gently pry off the whole center plastic piece.

The switch panel is dangling down below
the dash next to the transmission shifter.

This will expose the four screws holding the switch panel in place. Remove the screws and the switch panel comes out so you have access to the back of it.

Again, as mentioned, gently pry up to release the blanks. I just did this last night when I installed a switch for my locker. I found an aftermarket OEM-like switch that is design to snap right into one of the switch blanks. It came with a nice plug and some wire leads. Here are two sources for it:

TJ Rocker Switch 1
TJ Rocker Switch 2

- Jay
post #12 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 03:51 PM
adz4play
1999 TJ Wrangler 

tip top read dude..cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in