is it the switch??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
gratefuljeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

is it the switch???

so i went to the dealer today to pick up a blower motor switch because my blower was only working on speed one. the parts guy said its probally my resistor and not the switch. so i got the resistor instead and put it in. pulling out my old one i saw it was all rusted and cruddy looking so i figured that was the problem. the wires on the plug all looked ok to me. tested it out and still no other speeds but one and now the air only comes out of the defroster. what should i do or check??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try replacing the switch. I had the same problem when I first got my jeep. Pulled out the switch/knob assembly and cleaned all the contacts. Works fine ever since, but it was a PITA to reassemble. Next time I'll just buy a new switch.

99 TJ Sport I64L Manual 31x10.5 RE 3.5" Super Flex 1"BL 3.73 gears w/LockRite in front. Warrior Safari Rack.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|_
|T|
post #3 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
IOUnlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Air coming out of defroster is often a vacuum leak from the manifold. You can order an entire switch panel from chryslerpartsdirect.com cheaper than your local dealer.

My blower switch melted entirely making it necessary to replace the set. There are several good write ups on here, search "blower motor" or "blower switch".

post #4 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 AM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Switch is easy to check with an ohm meter. Just a 4 position switch meaning 1 line in and 4 out.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
gratefuljeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ended up being the switch. the parts guy was cool and gave me wholesale cost on the new switch because i listened to him and had to spend 47$ on the resistor the first time which i didnt need, but probally would have down the road.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad he gave you a deal since he gave you the wrong info to begin with. I'm sure he probably didn't know better, but for future reference a faulty resistor will not affect the highest speed setting.

I'll be Savvy someday!
post #7 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Brew461

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOUnlimited View Post
Air coming out of defroster is often a vacuum leak from the manifold. You can order an entire switch panel from chryslerpartsdirect.com cheaper than your local dealer.

My blower switch melted entirely making it necessary to replace the set. There are several good write ups on here, search "blower motor" or "blower switch".
where on the manifold would you expect the leak?

Mine: 03 TJ
Hers: 01 XJ
post #8 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
gratefuljeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr View Post
I'm glad he gave you a deal since he gave you the wrong info to begin with. I'm sure he probably didn't know better, but for future reference a faulty resistor will not affect the highest speed setting.
Yeah I knew that it would work only on hi going in there if it was the resistor. He told me in his '03 he replaced 3 resistors already and really thought that was the problem. But its fixed and hopefully i wont have to go to the dealer for dealer parts any time soon.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuljeep View Post
ended up being the switch. the parts guy was cool and gave me wholesale cost on the new switch because i listened to him and had to spend 47$ on the resistor the first time which i didnt need, but probally would have down the road.
47 on the resistor!!!!!!!!!?????????? The resistor should be around 20. My local dealer charged me 24 last week. I know pwople have pais less.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
1AAuto.com
1A Auto Parts

Sounds like you made out ok

post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
greenlay

I also had the blower stop working in my 98 TJ w/AC. I purchased a 05011214aa switch from the dealer (who wanted to sell me the entire unit). It doesn't quite fit. The holes are wrong and the speeds are medium high low and very high as you click through the speeds. The post is too thin for the knob as well. It is working though. Does anyone have a different part number for the switch I need?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in