Swaping front Rubi locker to rear, drawbacks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
MikeBK

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Swaping front Rubi locker to rear, drawbacks

I have alot of play in the rear diff,The stock 4.10's look good,and when it is locked, no more clunk, this to me sounds like the helical cut gears in the back lockers. I have found a front locker with 12000mi on it that was checked out and in good working order with no gears, I will be swaping in 4.88 anyway. Now my question, is their any downside to doing this, am I going to really miss the limited slip on the street? When I am offroad I am usually locked all the time anyway.
Mike

Consider Obama the lesson many in this country need to learn, the rest of us just have to pay for it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 AM
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

What do you gain by switching out the rear for the front? I know this sounds dumb by hey if you dont ask I love my 06 but any mods that make it better i am Game for it

08 Jeep Commander Silver Limited 2" lift, 265/70/17 ATs Ya it's got a HEMI :)Hers
06 Rubicon Unlimted Green Half-Cab Truck! 4.5 Rubicon short arm Lift 35 MTs FOR SALE
10 Rubicon Unlimited Mango/Tango 6"Lift 37-BFG-ATs Bumper mods More to come. Mine
post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 AM
03rubiconMG

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You will miss the limited slip in snowy conditions but other than that theres no difference, Also especially with the stock locker you shouldnt use your lockers unless you need them. You will be surprised how much you can do without the locker.

2003 white rubicon on 37s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The front Rubi locker is stronger, so that is a nice benefit.

I wouldn't miss limited slip at all when you have a selectable locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
...Also especially with the stock locker you shouldnt use your lockers unless you need them...
That is arguable.

Sometimes its too late if you wait until you need them.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 AM
03rubiconMG

2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok here is my argument toward lockers on and off, if i see a section with lots of rocks or a steep hill, or even questionable mud i will turn them on before hand. But i feel especially with my jeep having 37s on Dana 44s that i do not need any extra wear on the locker or axles from things such as even making tight turns on grip areas.

I just tend to baby my axles and gears and lockers because i really dont want to be replacing anything before i put a GM 14 bolt in.

2003 white rubicon on 37s

post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
MikeBK

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, what does the night crew think?

Consider Obama the lesson many in this country need to learn, the rest of us just have to pay for it!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
gribbles

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a front rubi locker in my rear d44. You will actually be gaining a little bit of reliability because you are loosing the limited slip, which is the weak link of the rear rubi locker....you wont miss a thing without that limited slip

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
I have a front rubi locker in my rear d44. You will actually be gaining a little bit of reliability because you are loosing the limited slip, which is the weak link of the rear rubi locker....you wont miss a thing without that limited slip
X2, i dont really care for the limited slip on the street, makes it more dangerous in the ice. and if you loose traction in snow or rain you loose the whole rear end, not just one wheel.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
MikeBK

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again, I bought it for $350.00 shipped, beats the almost $1000.00 for an ARB that can go to gears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in