Suspension/Shocks. AND Babes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Grangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Suspension/Shocks. AND Babes

Okay, so there are no babes.. But we are dealing with my baby. I have been adding goodies for a year now in order to fit some bigger tires (35s are considered big for me) and it is time that I pull the trigger . I have done my reading, read just about every post about shocks and lifts and this&that.

So... I will say that I have made my decision on the lift. I am currently running all 8 of Savvy's double adj. aluminum SA's right now. I have JKS adj. trac bars for both the front and rear along with Currie's steering. SOOO, in my virtual shopping cart from Savvy I currently have the 4" front and rear springs(that I will combine with a 1"BL), bumpstops for both the front and rear and antirock for the front. QUESTION 1: Do I need the extended shock mount for the front? (I am going with my gut and saying yes since I am planning on potentially outboarding the rear.) I am still indecisive on which shocks I want to invest in... It is between the Rancho 9000XLS and the legendary Fox Shock IFP 12" travel eye to eye mount. (Most likely will go with Fox because of their great feedback!) Not in the same shopping cart I have an AA sye w/ a Tom Wood DS for the 4" lift to prevent the vibes. QUESTION 2: Can anyone thing of anything else that I would potentially need other than re-gearing and brakes?

I can install all of this, given that my dad has an automotive shop with plenty of tools, and a jolly & willing mechanic that will guid me through the install. Only thing left is the shocks. This is where my main concern is. QUESTION 3: Would I (or the mechanic) be capable of tackling the mounting positions for the shocks or should I bite my pride and take the Jeep to an 4x4 shop for the first time... I am still a little confused on how these 12" travel shocks should be mounted up front.. For the rear it seems that you need to cut the frame, weld the ford shock tower in place, heat the mount in it and on the axle and connect? If I went through this whole process I would of course weld a correction plate on there and fix the rear spring. QUESTION 5: Where is a reliable brand to order this plate from and what are the procedures for that?

Hopefully this will clear up others questions that relate to this as well. Hope your eyes don't hurt after reading all of this, cheers

EDIT: We found some babes... Thanks to TheBoogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post

Last edited by Grangler; 02-04-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Had to add the babes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What's so legendary about the IFPs? While they are better than many other brands, as far as Fox shocks go they're down the ranks. If you can swing it look at the remote reservoirs. Much better shock.

For travel, in stock locations you'll probably not want to go over 10". If you extend the front towers and outboard the rears then something like 11" front and 12" rear is pretty common.

For rear spring relocation, just grind off the OEM mount and relocate it. When we did mine, I actually bought Synergy brackets (also used Synergy for the shock towers) and never ended up using them.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a similar setup to what u want. I did not move any front mounting locations.
I am running a 10.75" travel front shocks. I need to fine tune my bumpstops a hair in the front, and shorten my control arms about a quarter inch. I will have about 5 to 5.25 inches of uptravel when done. The diff and track bar are gonna b very close then. Right now with about 5.6" of uptravel, the diff and track bar hit, about half an inch from full bump, with a 1" bumpstop.

The rears I did not outboard. I moved the rear upper mount up 1" with the upper teraflex shock mount relocators.
The rear lowers, I moved down an out about 1.5", by welding the lower mounts to the back of the lower control arm mount.
After I get the front dialed in, I will check the rear closer. It looks pretty good so far.

My travel front and rear is just about split equally up and down.
Longer shocks will get u more droop, but gains in uptravel are much more challenging.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592

post #4 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangler View Post
okay, so there are no babes..
lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now Jeeping in Oregon
post #5 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Grangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
What's so legendary about the IFPs? While they are better than many other brands, as far as Fox shocks go they're down the ranks. If you can swing it look at the remote reservoirs. Much better shock.

For travel, in stock locations you'll probably not want to go over 10". If you extend the front towers and outboard the rears then something like 11" front and 12" rear is pretty common.

For rear spring relocation, just grind off the OEM mount and relocate it. When we did mine, I actually bought Synergy brackets (also used Synergy for the shock towers) and never ended up using them.
Only reason I say that is from their reputation. And considering I live in Tennessee I feel like they would be overkill. Is there a shock that Fox offers that is the same as the reservoir shocks.. Except without the reservoir.. (I thought that's what the IFP is) I am not exactly sure if I understand them correctly, but the only different between the IFP and reservoir shocks is the amount of time the shock will stay cool & last. Since I won't exactly be doing any washboards or anything like that I just assumed that the IFP's would be substantial for my Jeep and the type of wheeling that I will be doing. Although I will say some of the trails around here are a bunch of little annoying rocks and the fun stuff is at the end of the trail. I don't know if that is comparable or not. Thanks for the relocation info though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
I have a similar setup to what u want. I did not move any front mounting locations.
I am running a 10.75" travel front shocks. I need to fine tune my bumpstops a hair in the front, and shorten my control arms about a quarter inch. I will have about 5 to 5.25 inches of uptravel when done. The diff and track bar are gonna b very close then. Right now with about 5.6" of uptravel, the diff and track bar hit, about half an inch from full bump, with a 1" bumpstop.

The rears I did not outboard. I moved the rear upper mount up 1" with the upper teraflex shock mount relocators.
The rear lowers, I moved down an out about 1.5", by welding the lower mounts to the back of the lower control arm mount.
After I get the front dialed in, I will check the rear closer. It looks pretty good so far.

My travel front and rear is just about split equally up and down.
Longer shocks will get u more droop, but gains in uptravel are much more challenging.
What is the difference in your setup and what I am wanting to do? Also, if you have a chance could you provide some pictures of what it looks like in the rear (both top and bottom mounts).
post #6 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangler View Post
Only reason I say that is from their reputation. And considering I live in Tennessee I feel like they would be overkill. Is there a shock that Fox offers that is the same as the reservoir shocks.. Except without the reservoir.. (I thought that's what the IFP is) I am not exactly sure if I understand them correctly, but the only different between the IFP and reservoir shocks is the amount of time the shock will stay cool & last. Since I won't exactly be doing any washboards or anything like that I just assumed that the IFP's would be substantial for my Jeep and the type of wheeling that I will be doing. Although I will say some of the trails around here are a bunch of little annoying rocks and the fun stuff is at the end of the trail. I don't know if that is comparable or not. Thanks for the relocation info though!
Nope. IFP design is different internally. There are non-reservoir smooth body emulsions that are more like the RRs without the reservoir.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Grangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope. IFP design is different internally. There are non-reservoir smooth body emulsions that are more like the RRs without the reservoir.
Since you are big on reservoir shock, would it even be worth running these in all 4 corners at 9.6" travel in all 4 corners without much modification? I would have to find a place that would price these a little better, but this is just an example: http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Fox-2-0-Fa...-2.0-fs-rr.htm

Last edited by Grangler; 02-03-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote...
post #8 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Since you are big on reservoir shock, would it even be worth running these in all 4 corners at 9.6" travel in all 4 corners without much modification? I would have to find a place that would price these a little better, but this is just an example: http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Fox-2-0-Fa...-2.0-fs-rr.htm
Nothing wrong with 10" travel shocks if that's what fits your jeep.

What I would not do is buy a generic OEM replacement size or a size for some guesstimate of a lift range. I would measure and determine what fits my setup and buy based on compressed and extended lengths. If you dig around in the Fox catalog you can find a part number for almost anything you reasonably want.

If you don't need RRs, then get the emulsions. I'm just not a fan of the IFPs. Don't like the internal design.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

What is the difference in your setup and what I am wanting to do? Also, if you have a chance could you provide some pictures of what it looks like in the rear (both top and bottom mounts).
The big difference is I did not outboard the rear, and im cheap so I ran "white" shocks.
im in new orleans for mardi gras. So pics are at least a couple weeks away.
Google "tera flex rear upper shock relocators", it will show u the upper mounts.
simple bolt on stuff. The lowers u cut off the factory lower mounts, weld them to a piece of steel. That steel gets welded to the back of the lower control arm mount. Very simple stuff.

I stole the idea from a guy on here "mudb8". He seems to know his stuff more than me, so I got advice from him on shocks and mounts. Click on his name, he has a write up with tons of pics! His work is better than mine!

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #10 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just so you aren't misleading with your title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
IFP stands for Internal Floating Piston, it is patented. Edelbrock used this patent when they were manufacturing shocks. It appears that Fox is using the same design that Edelbrock was building, I visited the assembly line at Edelbrock, they were building high quality inverted shocks.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
IFP stands for Internal Floating Piston, it is patented. Edelbrock used this patent when they were manufacturing shocks. It appears that Fox is using the same design that Edelbrock was building, I visited the assembly line at Edelbrock, they were building high quality inverted shocks.
Yes, I am aware of all of that (well, not the part about you visiting Edelbrock). As I already said though I believe emulsions a much better choice.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 PM
willis36
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of all of that (well, not the part about you visiting Edelbrock). As I already said though I believe emulsions a much better choice.
Why? I don't know to much about either one but will be in the market soon. I remember Wayne in another shock thread say he would prefer the IFP or remote resi to an emulsion. Unfortunately I don't hardly ever get to take my jeep out much anymore and the remote resi shocks and a special tune just aren't needed for me, so its down to the Fox IFP, I think....
post #14 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Just so you aren't misleading with your title.

You saved the day
post #15 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Why? I don't know to much about either one but will be in the market soon. I remember Wayne in another shock thread say he would prefer the IFP or remote resi to an emulsion. Unfortunately I don't hardly ever get to take my jeep out much anymore and the remote resi shocks and a special tune just aren't needed for me, so its down to the Fox IFP, I think....
Yeah, Wayne has said that emulsions are less efficient at dampening, but the IFP's don't use space very efficiently and require some pretty specialized tools to work on or even just change or refill nitrogen. Wayne's used to dealing with racers though. For JF people, I'd suggest more efficient use of space is a higher premium and what is reduced dampening for a go fast guy will work fine for the average JF person. Its a personal choice. For me, neither was the right answer.

Tags
antirock , lift , outboard , shocks , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in