Sunrider top replacement parts? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BobG80918
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sunrider top replacement parts?

Anyone know a good place to find replacement parts for the Sunrider top (for a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited)?

The knuckle for the joint where the top folds back snapped on me. Taking a closer look at the joint on the other side, the slide that covers or uncovers the joint has a crack (all in all, I'm not that impressed with the workmanship on the Sunrider top).

I seem to be able to find replacement parts for a regular soft top in several places, but haven't found anywhere that sells the part I need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
WILLY348

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe just go to the stealership? Man i cant remember the last time i used the "sunrider" feature on my top. I just always either want the top up or i want the top down

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport: Current Jeep
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: (Sold and missed!)
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Hesher420

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If mine broke, I would probably cut a piece of 3/4" EMT (electrical pipe) and use that as the coupler. Paint it black if you want it to look real nice. It would be stronger and less bulky than the stock plastic part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
Man i cant remember the last time i used the "sunrider" feature on my top.
Willy brings up a good point.
Do you use the sunrider top? If not then I'd run self-tapping screws in through the coupler I just made to lock it in place.

Just my:2c:. Hope it helps you out though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I use my sunrider every time its a nice day. dropping the whole top is a bit of pain on the LJ, especially since I can't use my single space garage when its got the hard top sitting on the floor, lol...i had my sunrider open today for like 3 trips, and it will be open tomorrow for grocery shopping and taking my date out on the town

I'm not sure i'm 100% what part you mean broke, maybe a picture would help, but I'm sure you could find a replacement at the hardware store or mcmaster.com. if you go with factory bestop replacement parts, its going to cost you your first born. just piece some stuff together from the hardware store, paint it black and save your kid the embarassment of being raised by zoo monkeys.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #5 of 12 Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 PM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is this what you are looking for??

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bestop/...ccessories.htm

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 AM
jeep06

2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinLJ View Post
I think the one he needs is the joint where the sunrider hinges, under the plastic sleeve. I know the dealer will have little news for you... only a few parts are available,,,, the rest (things you need) you will have to buy half the softtop frame to get the part!! Might be cheaper to have one made at a small machine shop out of aluminum vs buying a large section of the frame at the dealership.

P.S. to all the sunrider top owners: Keep an eye on the split (roll) pins that hold a lot of the joints together. I had one slid out and come up missing. Had to make one at work.... they are an odd diameter,, of course.

2015 Cherokee Limited (granite) 4x4, 2.4L, 8.4AN, luxury group, wireless charge pad.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM
lenardisag

Hey guys, just ran into the same problem. Luckily quadratec now stocks replacement parts. Unluckily you have to replace that whole piece and (like all other Jeep related parts) it isn't cheap :/

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...pid=11004+9003
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 PM
cmdaily

I had the same issue. I just grabbed part number 05166017AB from the dealership to see if it works. Looks to be the right part.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 PM
mike_dippert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
My driver side locking sleeve has split to the point of being useless. My rearward "pivot knuckle" is also on the verge of splitting apart. I know it won't help you guys now, but I'll eventually machine aluminum peices. I'll make note of the dimensions and possibly make extras.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Baitcher1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I never even use the sleeve on mine and I found a replacement knuckle for $30 on Amazon instead of the $100 the dealer wanted.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 11:23 AM
kira_jw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG80918 View Post
Anyone know a good place to find replacement parts for the Sunrider top (for a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited)?

The knuckle for the joint where the top folds back snapped on me. Taking a closer look at the joint on the other side, the slide that covers or uncovers the joint has a crack (all in all, I'm not that impressed with the workmanship on the Sunrider top).

I seem to be able to find replacement parts for a regular soft top in several places, but haven't found anywhere that sells the part I need.
This sounds a lot like the part I am currently looking for. I wasn't sure what to call it so I couldn't find any replacement pieces online. Just wondering if you found where to order new parts from? Or if it's even worth fixing? (I contemplated on just duct taping the crack to hold it together). Thank you!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 08:16 PM
TJR238

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.morris4x4center.com/knuck...5166017ab.html

You can get it cheaper direct from Bestop
The Jk part fits in the tj frame

Link didn't work. Put this in the search bar. 05166017AB

Last edited by TJR238; 07-16-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Failed link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in