Stupid question: Best way to paint metal parts like rockers or skid plates?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
dan188
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stupid question: Best way to paint metal parts like rockers or skid plates??

This may sound like a really dumb question, but what have you guys found to be the best way to paint metal parts that get abused, such as tube fenders, rocker guards, or skid plates? I am asking this question because I recently installed a steel Rokmen tummy tuck and last night I scratched the paint when a wrench slipped as I was working on another part of the Jeep. I have also scratched the crap out of my rocker guards that I painted about a year ago, and most of those scratches aren't even from trail abuse . My first thought was that maybe I am just expecting too much from "regular spray paint" or maybe I am not putting enough coats on? For my rocker guards and skid plate I used metal etching primer (2 coats) and then used flat black Krylon enamel (also 2 coats).

Any recommendations on better paint products (aside from powder coating) or any paint application tips? I was also wondering if maybe I should use a clear coat on top of the paint to give some additional protection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Waste as little time and money as possible on parts that will just get scratched up....the frame, the skids, rocker guards, etc. If they're scratched, touch them up and move on. People spend way too much time worrying about the quality of their paint jobs on parts that are there to protect.....8 coats of primer, 10 coats of paint and 4 coats of clearcoat just to go swap with a rock. The main focus should just be keeping them painted and keeping your rig clean and rust free. Rust looks much worse and is more harmful than a quick rattle can paint job. My entire Jeep is rattle can.....does it look perfect? Hell no. Do I really care? Hell no. Is it rust free? Hell yes. Plus, I never worry about my paint and can quickly and easily touch it up.

I use Krylon Dual. Loving it.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get some cheap primer, and cheap frame paint, go to town. Its goinna get gouged and scratched up. So touch up as needed afterwards. Simple as that.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
dan188
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok that sounds good. I agree that rust-free metal and a rattle can paint job is better than spending hours on perfect paint that is just going to get abused, but I want to make sure that the paint job isn't so thin that a stone from the tires will take the paint off. The idea of a "tougher paint job" is on my mind because the winter salty months are almost here, and I want to prevent as much rust from forming as possible. I expect to scratch everything when I am on the trails and I always go back and touch things up, but when I dropped my wrench and scratched the paint on my skid my first thought was "Damn it, if that scratched the paint then how will this paint hold up over the winter with the stone chips and salt all over it?". I will check out the Krylon Dual and some good frame paint.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I get Tremclad tractor paint in a can (not aerosol) and apply it with a foam roller. Personally, I find it coats a lot better than the spray on stuff and tends to be more durable. No primer, no top coat, just two thick coats of that stuff works for me.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
TheRealKTrain
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan188 View Post
but when I dropped my wrench and scratched the paint on my skid my first thought was "Damn it, if that scratched the paint then how will this paint hold up over the winter with the stone chips and salt all over it.
That's the point of spray paint. It's literally a two second touch up. There is no way to get an easier touch up than cracking the lid, aiming, shooting, putting the lid back on.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I use Rustoleum rattle can enamel. Holds up a little better than the regular stuff.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 PM
srlbotanical

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same here. Rattle can gloss black.

Gloss seems to hold up and clean up better.

I like a good oil base rustolium in a can for things that are under the jeep. I paint it on with a brush or roller, good and thick.

Two Trackers 4WD Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheeling in West Michigan for over 35 years.

HIGHER POWERED!!
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Barcus

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Waste as little time and money as possible on parts that will just get scratched up....the frame, the skids, rocker guards, etc. If they're scratched, touch them up and move on. People spend way too much time worrying about the quality of their paint jobs on parts that are there to protect.....8 coats of primer, 10 coats of paint and 4 coats of clearcoat just to go swap with a rock. The main focus should just be keeping them painted and keeping your rig clean and rust free. Rust looks much worse and is more harmful than a quick rattle can paint job. My entire Jeep is rattle can.....does it look perfect? Hell no. Do I really care? Hell no. Is it rust free? Hell yes. Plus, I never worry about my paint and can quickly and easily touch it up.

I use Krylon Dual. Loving it.
Krylon Dual is the shizz...best rattle can paint ive found.

98 TJ Currie arms-RC 2.5 coils-RC 2.0 shocks-1.25 BL-TF rear track bar-custom bumpstops-mud-scratches-gas.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
dan188
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will check out the products that you all mentioned. I would like to get a thicker paint job on my skid plate and a few other areas before the winter comes, just to make sure that the salt won't penetrate the paint and turn to rust.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Cagle

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been using a product called Rust bullet from Summit. It creates a hard shell. You can apply it with brush,roller or cup gun. A cheep cup gun at HF is $15 they shoot thick Primer and coatings great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in