Stuck in 4wd? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
MichiganJeep22

Stuck in 4wd?

Hello everyone,

New Jeep owner here, and proud to say its the best purchase I have made! I put my jeep in 4wd a few days ago when I got it, and noticed today the 4wd light was on even though I didn't have the 4w engaged. Went on a dirt road to see if I could drift and I could, so Im assuming the 4wd is not on. Any suggestions to why the light would still be on? Also hearing kind of a strange knocking sound coming from under the car, but I don't think its serious, just strange. I have an 05 Tj and would appreciate any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Bobo2217
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Issues with the 4wd light on TJs are quite common, however I've had more problems trying to get the light to go on rather than off (this happened to me with my current TJ and with another one I test drove when I was looking to buy.) The issue is usually with the switch for the indicator light that connects to the transfer case. I'm sure a similar issue could cause the light to stay on. The solution is usually just to replace the switch, which you can order online (they also recommend that you replace the O-ring that goes with it). I would confirm that this is the issue by disconnecting the wire from the switch and checking that the light went off. If you get real ambitious, you might even unscrew the whole switch and manipulate the mechanism by hand to see if the ball in the switch was just stuck or if you can make the light go on or off manually (never tried this type of test; just a thought). You can find it, if I remember right, near the top of the transfer case on the driver side. The plug just clips on to the switch and I believe the switch itself just unscrews. Also, if you want to double check that your 4wd is not engaged, I would jack-up a front wheel and see if you can spin just the one freely by hand (assuming an open differential).

Welcome to the forum from another 05 TJ from Michigan!

Tags
4wd , jeep tj , knocking , light , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in