Which stock tranny is most trouble free..manual or auto on a 2005 6 cyl wranger X - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
mmmhoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Which stock tranny is most trouble free..manual or auto on a 2005 6 cyl wranger X

I was about to buy a 2005 wrangler X with a 6 cyl and 6 speed manual.

I was wondering if the auto or the manual was the most trouble free....or are they both great transmissions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Bishop Creek

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hopefully, Unlimited04 will be along soon to answer your question.

ďThis isnít the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. Itís just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.Ē
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 01:26 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They are both great transmissions pick what you want.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"

post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 01:31 PM
alex211

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The manual is my pick.

95 xj bone stock for now
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 01:42 PM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

They're both great transmissions. Just change the fluids at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine.

1976 CJ7 Restoration:
post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how trouble free it is depends on how well you take care of it. common sense tells me if i dont do any maintenance or very little maintenance then its going to die on me fairly quickly. and the opposite is true as well; make sure the fluids are changed when necessary and dont bolt up 500hp to it and itll be fine. i have almost 100k on my auto with no problems whatsoever. and im sure there are people who have just as much mileage or more on their manuals with no problems as well.

if you like or dont mind shifting then get the stick, but if you dont want to worry about shifting (or you want an almost infinite low in 1st) then keep shopping for an auto. the only bad thing about the OD auto in a TJ is the OD ratio. its just too tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 AM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Damn. I looked in the can and all the worms got out.

|
|
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Its personal preference really. The 4 speed auto needs a little deeper gearing to make up for the OD with larger tires. Other than than that They are both pretty stout as long as you take care of them.

USAF
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek View Post
Hopefully, Unlimited04 will be along soon to answer your question.
hahahaha!

yea, go with the manaual

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in