Stock Ride Height on TJ - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Didley
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 168
Stock Ride Height on TJ

I'm trying to figure out exactly how tall my lift on my jeep is. I'm buying new shocks and need to know. I don't have any information on it. It has a 1" BL and I think it's 3" suspension lift, but not sure.


I saw in one thread they took the stock ride height and subtracted it from the existing ride height (from center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare). Will this work? If so, what is the stock height I need to know?

Didley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler
 
RubiconRazorbac's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 3,485
I posted the stock height for a 2003 Rubi last week. I'll try to search for the link when I get some time. Do a search or go through last week's thread for this subject.

If I get time later, I'll PM you on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RubiconRazorbac is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler
 
RubiconRazorbac's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 3,485
Here you go...

Note that this Jeep is a 2003 with about 35,000 miles. It was a DD for the first two years, then sat in storage for three years while we were in Japan. We've been using it as a second vehicle for the last 8 months--so, there shouldn't be much sag from when it was new. I DID measure the tires though as they are pretty worn (time to upgrade ) and I'm only running about 28lbs of pressure on them. They were right at 29.5" which is 1.5" less than stock. So, all measurements on the Jeep are about 3/4" lower than when it was sitting on the dealer's lot in 2003 will full pressure in the tires.

Front Bumper: 19 3/4"
Outside lip of front flare: 33"
Front of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 19"
Back of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 20"
Outside lip of back flare: 34 1/8"
Rear Bumper: 18 3/4"
Center of gas tank skid: 12 3/8"
Front AND Rear Diffs: 8 3/4"
Front of shovel: 10 3/4"
Oil Pan: 13"

Have fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RubiconRazorbac is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
jmalys
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 180
rubicon????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Here you go...

Note that this Jeep is a 2003 with about 35,000 miles. It was a DD for the first two years, then sat in storage for three years while we were in Japan. We've been using it as a second vehicle for the last 8 months--so, there shouldn't be much sag from when it was new. I DID measure the tires though as they are pretty worn (time to upgrade ) and I'm only running about 28lbs of pressure on them. They were right at 29.5" which is 1.5" less than stock. So, all measurements on the Jeep are about 3/4" lower than when it was sitting on the dealer's lot in 2003 will full pressure in the tires.

Front Bumper: 19 3/4"
Outside lip of front flare: 33"
Front of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 19"
Back of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 20"
Outside lip of back flare: 34 1/8"
Rear Bumper: 18 3/4"
Center of gas tank skid: 12 3/8"
Front AND Rear Diffs: 8 3/4"
Front of shovel: 10 3/4"
Oil Pan: 13"

Have fun!!!
Is your jeep a rubicon?? The tires that came stock on those are 30.5" diameter. Also , the rubicon springs sit likt .5" higher than a normal TJ.

Either way, the measurement with yours is going to be pretty close to a stock TJ.
jmalys is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: El Paso
Posts: 12,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalys View Post
Is your jeep a rubicon?? The tires that came stock on those are 30.5" diameter. Also , the rubicon springs sit likt .5" higher than a normal TJ.

Either way, the measurement with yours is going to be pretty close to a stock TJ.
the springs dont sit any higher they are just stiffer rate so they seem higher


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RnEmOvr is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
jmalys
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 180
spring rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
the springs dont sit any higher they are just stiffer rate so they seem higher
I am probably wrong here but doesnt a higher spring rate net a higher ride height since the weight of the vehicle will not compress the spring as much on level ground???
jmalys is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: El Paso
Posts: 12,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalys View Post
I am probably wrong here but doesnt a higher spring rate net a higher ride height since the weight of the vehicle will not compress the spring as much on level ground???
yes you are right in that sence, BUT the spring height is same i know its weird but the spring measure same amount


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RnEmOvr is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler
 
RubiconRazorbac's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalys View Post
Is your jeep a rubicon?? The tires that came stock on those are 30.5" diameter. Also , the rubicon springs sit likt .5" higher than a normal TJ.

Either way, the measurement with yours is going to be pretty close to a stock TJ.
Yes Rubicon. The stock tires are "31s" but yes, they're probably only 30.5" and GoodYear gets to round up. So using that as a starting point, take the one inch, split that in half, and you get a .5" difference in height vice the .75" that I originally posted.

In THEORY a new stock Rubi will sit at the same height as a new stock non-Rubi with the same tires. However, due to the reported stiffer spring rate, the non-Rubi would start to sag sooner with the same load.

That being said, the measurements are accurate. Add 1/2 inch and that's where it sat when new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RubiconRazorbac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
89 stock ride height Lilnuts YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 06-19-2009 06:55 PM
stock ride height jeepin91 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 04-21-2008 03:28 PM
Stock ride height BCJEEP TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 10-09-2006 12:35 PM
stock SE ride height TJmooker TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 11-22-2005 08:38 AM
Stock ride height? FLM_Jeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 10-07-2004 04:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome