Stock Ride Height on TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Didley

Stock Ride Height on TJ

I'm trying to figure out exactly how tall my lift on my jeep is. I'm buying new shocks and need to know. I don't have any information on it. It has a 1" BL and I think it's 3" suspension lift, but not sure.

I saw in one thread they took the stock ride height and subtracted it from the existing ride height (from center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare). Will this work? If so, what is the stock height I need to know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I posted the stock height for a 2003 Rubi last week. I'll try to search for the link when I get some time. Do a search or go through last week's thread for this subject.

If I get time later, I'll PM you on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go...

Note that this Jeep is a 2003 with about 35,000 miles. It was a DD for the first two years, then sat in storage for three years while we were in Japan. We've been using it as a second vehicle for the last 8 months--so, there shouldn't be much sag from when it was new. I DID measure the tires though as they are pretty worn (time to upgrade ) and I'm only running about 28lbs of pressure on them. They were right at 29.5" which is 1.5" less than stock. So, all measurements on the Jeep are about 3/4" lower than when it was sitting on the dealer's lot in 2003 will full pressure in the tires.

Front Bumper: 19 3/4"
Outside lip of front flare: 33"
Front of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 19"
Back of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 20"
Outside lip of back flare: 34 1/8"
Rear Bumper: 18 3/4"
Center of gas tank skid: 12 3/8"
Front AND Rear Diffs: 8 3/4"
Front of shovel: 10 3/4"
Oil Pan: 13"

Have fun!!!

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:

post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
jmalys
1998 TJ Wrangler 

rubicon????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Here you go...

Note that this Jeep is a 2003 with about 35,000 miles. It was a DD for the first two years, then sat in storage for three years while we were in Japan. We've been using it as a second vehicle for the last 8 months--so, there shouldn't be much sag from when it was new. I DID measure the tires though as they are pretty worn (time to upgrade ) and I'm only running about 28lbs of pressure on them. They were right at 29.5" which is 1.5" less than stock. So, all measurements on the Jeep are about 3/4" lower than when it was sitting on the dealer's lot in 2003 will full pressure in the tires.

Front Bumper: 19 3/4"
Outside lip of front flare: 33"
Front of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 19"
Back of rocker (to the diamond plate bottom edge): 20"
Outside lip of back flare: 34 1/8"
Rear Bumper: 18 3/4"
Center of gas tank skid: 12 3/8"
Front AND Rear Diffs: 8 3/4"
Front of shovel: 10 3/4"
Oil Pan: 13"

Have fun!!!
Is your jeep a rubicon?? The tires that came stock on those are 30.5" diameter. Also , the rubicon springs sit likt .5" higher than a normal TJ.

Either way, the measurement with yours is going to be pretty close to a stock TJ.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalys View Post
Is your jeep a rubicon?? The tires that came stock on those are 30.5" diameter. Also , the rubicon springs sit likt .5" higher than a normal TJ.

Either way, the measurement with yours is going to be pretty close to a stock TJ.
the springs dont sit any higher they are just stiffer rate so they seem higher

post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
jmalys
1998 TJ Wrangler 

spring rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
the springs dont sit any higher they are just stiffer rate so they seem higher
I am probably wrong here but doesnt a higher spring rate net a higher ride height since the weight of the vehicle will not compress the spring as much on level ground???
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am probably wrong here but doesnt a higher spring rate net a higher ride height since the weight of the vehicle will not compress the spring as much on level ground???
yes you are right in that sence, BUT the spring height is same i know its weird but the spring measure same amount

post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes Rubicon. The stock tires are "31s" but yes, they're probably only 30.5" and GoodYear gets to round up. So using that as a starting point, take the one inch, split that in half, and you get a .5" difference in height vice the .75" that I originally posted.

In THEORY a new stock Rubi will sit at the same height as a new stock non-Rubi with the same tires. However, due to the reported stiffer spring rate, the non-Rubi would start to sag sooner with the same load.

That being said, the measurements are accurate. Add 1/2 inch and that's where it sat when new.

Quote:
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in