Stock LJ - Mod suggestions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien999 View Post
If your LJ is a manual, the best mod I have ever done to mine is putting a hand throttle on it. Obviously, if you have an auto tranny, then disregard.
The hand throttle comes in handy with an automatic transmission also...

Gone but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
26679cj5

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Buy the stuff that's going to be useful no matter what your future plans are:

A 1" body lift
Winch
Lightweight bumper with built in winch provisions like the Savvy or Metalcloak offerings
Rocker guards
Basic recovery gear like a recovery strap
First aid kit
Tire plug kit and a halfway decent compressor - I like the slime kit that you can pick up at any Walmart or auto parts store

That should keep you set for back roads, fire roads, forest trails and other entry level stuff. Once you start hitting the rocks, that's when the costs really start adding up.

Last edited by 26679cj5; 08-08-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Elaboration
post #18 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5
Buy the stuff that's going to be useful no matter what your future plans are: A 1" body lift Winch Lightweight bumper with built in winch provisions like the Savvy or Metalcloak offerings Rocker guards Basic recovery gear like a recovery strap First aid kit Tire plug kit and a halfway decent compressor - I like the slime kit that you can pick up at any Walmart or auto parts store That should keep you set for back roads, fire roads, forest trails and other entry level stuff. Once you start hitting the rocks, that's when the costs really start adding up.
I can agree with this...

To add:

Differential skid
Beefier steering
Bigger brakes

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667

post #19 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
Get it over and done with. instead of pissing away money doing "incremental" lifts. and damages something that easily could have been protected. TOO Many people on here have done that.
You're jumping too far ahead. I agree, upgrading in stages can be costly. However, remember who you're responding to. The OP is obviously very new to Jeeps and probably doesn't know what he needs or why you recommended the mods you did.

We need to know what he wants to achieve before any advice can be given, otherwise, he could be wasting money. If it's just to eventually run 33's and do some mild trail riding, half of your recommendations are a waste of money.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff
post #20 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
I can agree with this...

To add:

Differential skid
Beefier steering
Bigger brakes
Bigger brakes for possibly going 33's? I don't think that's necessary.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinecoff00 View Post
I don't know Pennsylvania or North Carolina but I live in the foothills of Colorado soon to move to 10000 feet. Brakes are a premium up here.

I run the equivalent of 33's. I have to dodge wildlife, bicyclists, motorcyclists, white knuckle tourists, and the white haired locals. The stock brakes are borderline so I drive accordingly.

Luckily the very few times I needed to use the brakes hard, I had the room to stop. Only once did I get the rear end to unload and lock up and that was on a near empty tank going downhill to a traffic light.

$1000 for a winch to be used seldom or a $1000 for brakes that will be used all the time?

post #22 of 40 Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
I don't know Pennsylvania or North Carolina but I live in the foothills of Colorado soon to move to 10000 feet. Brakes are a premium up here.

I run the equivalent of 33's. I have to dodge wildlife, bicyclists, motorcyclists, white knuckle tourists, and the white haired locals. The stock brakes are borderline so I drive accordingly.

Luckily the very few times I needed to use the brakes hard, I had the room to stop. Only once did I get the rear end to unload and lock up and that was on a near empty tank going downhill to a traffic light.

$1000 for a winch to be used seldom or a $1000 for brakes that will be used all the time?
In your case, I would agree. Hard descents could be an issue.

Build Thread:

post #23 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
As far as body lifts are concerned, are all of them the "stack-up" type? Or, Does someone make a full replacement type?

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #24 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I disagree for the LJ. My LJ brakes were downright dangerous from the factory, IMHO, even with 31s. Yellowstuff and Centric rotors helped, but it still wasn't up to my expectations. Once I went to Vanco brakes I finally feel like the Jeep stops like it should have from the factory.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #25 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 AM
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
As far as body lifts are concerned, are all of them the "stack-up" type? Or, Does someone make a full replacement type?
The full replacement ones are polyurethane and will transmit a lot more vibration through your jeep, I prefer the aluminum puck lift, so your using you rubber isolators like the factory intended for less noise and vibration.

And I would never go more than 1.25 inch body lift. 1.25 is required for the savvy gas tank skid in its highest position and the savvy under armor.

I say drive it! When you feel your dragging offroad all the time, then consider a lift or under armor, based on what road manners your looking to keep.
post #26 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I disagree for the LJ. My LJ brakes were downright dangerous from the factory, IMHO, even with 31s. Yellowstuff and Centric rotors helped, but it still wasn't up to my expectations. Once I went to Vanco brakes I finally feel like the Jeep stops like it should have from the factory.
I can understand your point of view living in Colorado. Those hills make gearing/braking the most important upgrades. Here in NC, I don't see many hills or do much highway driving (speeds over 55), so my brakes don't seem to be a death trap yet. Loaded down with camping gear it does struggle, so a big brake kit is on the list of upgrades. But whereeeeee on the list is the question...such a long list.

Build Thread:

post #27 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 08:10 AM
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
A hand throttle is a good investment on a manual, but you missed the main reason. When you're on a hill or any other sticky situation, the hand throttle lets you keep one foot on the brake. This allows you to hold the vehicle while adding enough throttle to get you going and not roll backwards (or forwards). I had one on my Scrambler and it saved my butt more than once.

Quote:
The hand throttle allows you to set the engine RPM and slowly crawl over obstacles (incline and declines) without your foot bouncing on the skinny pedal. I watch others struggle with clutch, brake, gas while on hills or off camber.
I can't imagine using it as a cruise control on the trail. There are way to many speed adjustments needed for the ever changing terrain.

Life is short. Play hard.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon
post #28 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Long CJ View Post
I can't imagine using it as a cruise control on the trail. There are way to many speed adjustments needed for the ever changing terrain.
I think the reference to not use a hand throttle as a cruise control is for not using it on the road. It locks the throttle in position but does not have means to disengage under braking.

post #29 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 PM
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For a daily driver with limited off road.........on a low budget.

A 1 1/2" - 2" spacer lift for $125.00 or so and some 33" tires........go enjoy.

White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
post #30 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're jumping too far ahead. I agree, upgrading in stages can be costly. However, remember who you're responding to. The OP is obviously very new to Jeeps and probably doesn't know what he needs or why you recommended the mods you did.

We need to know what he wants to achieve before any advice can be given, otherwise, he could be wasting money. If it's just to eventually run 33's and do some mild trail riding, half of your recommendations are a waste of money.
When you've been around for another 25 years or more, you'll learn to get over the hold the new guys hand stage. He asked for internet opinions and he got it. with ALL of the previous threads in god knows how many Jeep forums and boards, and then couldn't filter that down to make a decision.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in