Steps to Flush Heater Core - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Steps to Flush Heater Core

10/14/2011 Edit:

If you find yourself here looking for steps on flushing a heater core, please follow this link to my step by step write up (with photos) of the process.

-------------
Hey all,

So my TJ hasn't been blowing the same temp air in the winter that it used to, and so before things start freezing up and making this "mod" one that I can't do (no garage here) I was hoping to flush the heater core out and try and see if there's any gunk in the hoses that are preventing the real heat from coming through. I've read the threads on it, but unfortunately I must admit that I'm not entirely sure what hoses I need to disco and flush.

I was hoping someone might have photos of this that they could share so that I know exactly which hoses I'm going for. Best I've been able to find is from Stu's site, the following picture.. Should I just disconnect those two from both ends and run the garden hose through it?

Thanks, all!

'17 WK2 Trailhawk Expedition Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail me -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just a bit of FYI on the flushing part

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/flus...er-core-14859/
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
jeepinhokie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

not my picture, but i circled the heater core hoses coming off of the water pump. this is where i have disconnected the hoses to flush the heater core. it gives you some hose to play with, so your not dumping antifreeze all over your firewall.

using a hose is fine, but you will want to collect the first few gallons out of the heater core b/c you are really flushing antifreeze out of the heater core. I placed a bucket in the engine bay to collect the anitfreeze. This will also allow you to tell if any debris is coming out of the heater core.

Do NOT use the hose on full blast, use a gentle flow of water and gradually increase the pressure.

if you do get a bunch of debris out of the heater core, it might be a sign that your water pump is starting to fail. at least my wifes cherokee was that way.

Please dispose of your used antifreeze properly. into the ground is not an appropriate disposal location.
Attached Thumbnails
4.0 L engine.jpg  

HOKIES UNITED!

post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Th prestone flush kit is a easy thing to hook up and use. Just tap into the hot side heater core hose and turn on the water hose. But if you really want to remove crap spray a nozzle thru the return line etc.. I then blow air thru it to remove as much tap water as possible.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Old thread I know but I don't want to start a new one. My heater blows hot some days and cooler others. I had the cooling system flushed back in July and apparently that should have flushed the core to. I want to flush the heater core myself but I'm reading that you have to refill with coolant? Some say it's just unplug, flush, plug while others are saying unplug, flush, dry, plug, refill. Also it doesn't matter if you unplug from the firewall or the one close to the radiator?

-Jack
post #6 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Old thread I know but I don't want to start a new one. My heater blows hot some days and cooler others. I had the cooling system flushed back in July and apparently that should have flushed the core to. I want to flush the heater core myself but I'm reading that you have to refill with coolant? Some say it's just unplug, flush, plug while others are saying unplug, flush, dry, plug, refill. Also it doesn't matter if you unplug from the firewall or the one close to the radiator?

Here's a write up I did (with photos) on flushing a heater core. Wrote it a few weeks after posting this thread!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...hotos-1266369/

'17 WK2 Trailhawk Expedition Build

e-mail me -
post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 PM
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflyy View Post
Here's a write up I did (with photos) on flushing a heater core. Wrote it a few weeks after posting this thread!

Thank you my good man!

-Jack
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2013, 06:47 AM
tjlemay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflyy View Post

This was very helpful thank you.

Oh and I noticed that you have 35'' tires on you 99 tj lifted. Do they work well or do you find that you are rubbing to often? I have a 3'' suspension lift and I have 33'' tires, which have been pretty hard to find, so I just curious.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM
backyardjeeper
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did this last week. Worked great for a few days, then Back to no heat. Oddly enough, when it is just warming up (say around 150-170), I have lukewarm heat. When it warms all the way up to 200-210, it stops blowing warm and is just cold. I'm gonna try a complete flush, I'm afraid I had crud in other parts and it got pushed back into the nice clean core.

92 xj on 235/75/15's. $2000 into a $400 dollar jeep.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-24-2014, 02:59 PM
turpehar

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I used a mixture of white vinegar and lemon juice after flushing it with clean water. The results were unbelievable. Filled up the core with 50/50 of vinegar and lemon juice, waited 30 minutes and flushed until clear. Repeat until only clear comes out after the 50/50 mix. My heater core seemed restored to normal operations.

I've been married so long I don't bother looking
both ways before crossing the road.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

post #11 of 13 Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Cincy71

Since this board has been so helpful to me, I thought I would share how I finally got heat out of my 2004 Wrangler. First let me tell you what I tried. I tried flushing with a water hose through the heater hoses about a dozen times. Water coming out of the hoses was clear as could be. Did the Prestone flush kit. I let CLR soak overnight. Flushed the whole system again and added new coolant/antifreeze. The heat was still barely blowing warm. I was a day away from taking out the dash and replacing the heater core.

So I decided to try circulating CLR using a pump. I bought a 300-500 gph submersible fountain pump from lowes. Took a milk jug, cut the top off, poured the CLR in and filled the rest with water. Hooked one of the heater hoses to the pump, submerged the pump in the mixture and let the other heater hose discharged in the same jug. Circulated for about 5 hours. Then hooked up a water hose to the heater hose and flushed again. About 30 seconds into the water flushing, something broke lose in the heater core and it just poured junk out. Hooked everything back up, topped off coolant and started the Jeep back up. Heat is blasting again.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Cincy71

Adding picture. Hard to see but took a picture when the pump was circulating.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1190.jpg  
post #13 of 13 Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's a cool idea!
Another member had mentioned they take a rubber mallet and lightly hit the firewall during the flushing process to help loosen the built up chunks inside.
I haven't tried it myself but I plan to next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in