Starter issue? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
FlaJeep83

Starter issue?

I just had some work done to my '98 Wrangler 4.0.

Last week it was a bit slow to start... didn't seem like a big deal... but made a mental note to get the battery tested on the weekend. On my way to work I got a check engine light and it started to bog down and misfire.. so I was correct in my assumption, that it was the TPS.

I took it to my mechanic, he switched out the sensor.. and said the starter was drawing 300 amps of electricity, when it was supposed to draw around 100. so he replaced the starter (as well as replacing the AC Compressor that has been out for a while)

Well I went to pick it up.. and it wouldn't start... he came out, turned the key gave it gas and it started... drives fine, idles fine.. he said give it a couple days, it might need to just 'break in'.. Which I knew was BS but I was late for work as it is..
I called him when I got to work and said I'm bringing it back, Which I am.. on Thursday..
I wanted to see what you guys thought it could be?

When i start the car, it will turn .. but the batter gauge is almost dead.. so I rev it for about 4-5 seconds, when the battery gauge gets to it's normal reading... it runs perfectly.. no stalls, no sputtering.. lights work, radio works.

I thought the battery was just not holding a charge, and I had to wait for the alternator to charge it up before I can go... but then my radio station settings would be gone every morning on my radio. Any thoughts?

Last edited by FlaJeep83; 06-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
FlaJeep83

Anybody?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJeep83 View Post
…Last week it was a bit slow to start... On my way to work I got a check engine light and it started to bog down and misfire.. so I was correct in my assumption, that it was the TPS…
How does this add up to a faulty TPS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJeep83 View Post
…When i start the car, it will turn .. but the batter gauge is almost dead.. so I rev it for about 4-5 seconds, when the battery gauge gets to it's normal reading... it runs perfectly.. no stalls, no sputtering.. lights work, radio works… I thought the battery was just not holding a charge, and I had to wait for the alternator to charge it up before I can go... but then my radio station settings would be gone every morning on my radio
Your lights and radio will work with a low battery. The radio doesn’t need very much to maintain its presets and time. A low battery will cause the starter to drag and the engine will not normally perform well at idle. A low, rough idle is common with a low battery.

The first thing you should have done was have the battery, charging system, and starter checked when you first started noticing the starter dragging.

Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
FlaJeep83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
How does this add up to a faulty TPS?

Your lights and radio will work with a low battery. The radio doesnít need very much to maintain its presets and time. A low battery will cause the starter to drag and the engine will not normally perform well at idle. A low, rough idle is common with a low battery.

The first thing you should have done was have the battery, charging system, and starter checked when you first started noticing the starter dragging.

Welcome to the forum.
Engine runs fine 100% of the time, except for the first 5-8 seconds after being started. the Idle is perfect.... and I was going to check the battery etc... but I couldn't as one morning it just wouldn't start.. and couldn't be jumped. so I had it towed to the shop.
And thanks for the welcome but I've beena member for 3 years or so.. lol just completely forgot my login info and e-mail, obviously haven't been around in a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in