Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stalling

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jerry Bransford 
#1 ·
My 2005 jeep is stalling. I was going up a hill and passed a truck and when I got to the top and let off the gas it stalled out. So I pulled over and started it up and it stalled out again. So it will start but it stalls. Fuel pump is good. Battery is good. It has a black key not Grey. Not throwing any codes. Replaced oac and the tps. If u push the gas while starting it will start but runs rough and pops back through manifold.

#3 ·
Will it stay running if you hold the throttle open?
Are all instrument cluster indications good while the Jeep is running?
Have you checked for codes with a scanner or just by using the key trick?
How did you come to conclusion the fuel pump is good?
Does the engine stumble and die or suddenly cut out similar to switching off the key?

#6 ·
While filling up a jar tells us the fuel pump is moving fuel, it doesn't tell us that it is delivering the correct pressure when doing so. I would recommend hooking up a pressure gauge to verify you're getting 58 +/-2psi at the fuel rail, preferably using a T fitting so you can test with the engine running. Other checks to perform would be to verify you're getting a solid reliable full battery voltage reading at the 30 terminal of the fuel pump socket, inspect the fuel pump and crank position sensor connectors and wire harnesses for damage or loose connections, make sure the connections at both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight, and try swapping the horn and fuel pump relays. A slightly odd request would be to also see if running the Jeep with the horn relay removed makes a difference.

#7 ·
You can try removing and cleaning the idle air intake. We had the same stalling issue on an '04 TJ and cleaning the idle air intake remedied the problem temporarily (cleaning it with brake cleaner or the like will let you know if that was the problem or not). Once we replaced it with a new OEM one, the idle problem was gone and hasn't returned in over two years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.