1Likes
  • 1 Post By CGrugger

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

SSYE Install in or out of Jeep?

Hi Guys,

I am getting set up to install my JB Conversions SSYE. I have access to a vehicle hoist for the day. So I have two main questions:

1. I was wondering if people have found it easier to leave it in the Jeep or take it out?
  2. Also, any idea on the average elapsed time for installing an SSYE?

I am a pretty competant mechanic, having installed my lift and done most of the maintenance on the Jeep myself. Jeep already has adjustable upper control arms.

Looking to install it in the next couple of weeks, then take the axle out and weld in the new rear trackbar bracket to accept my new track bar.

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_TJ View Post
Hi Guys,

I am getting set up to install my JB Conversions SSYE. I have access to a vehicle hoist for the day. So I have two main questions:

1. I was wondering if people have found it easier to leave it in the Jeep or take it out?
  2. Also, any idea on the average elapsed time for installing an SSYE?

I am a pretty competant mechanic, having installed my lift and done most of the maintenance on the Jeep myself. Jeep already has adjustable upper control arms.

Looking to install it in the next couple of weeks, then take the axle out and weld in the new rear trackbar bracket to accept my new track bar.
I did the teraflex ultra short sye on my jeep, and I did it in the jeep, and I did it while the jeep was on the ground. So you should be fine doing it on the lift.

No idea on the time, I had one of the seals get stuck and struggled to get it out...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jerry Bransford likes this.

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2, definitely keep the tcase installed which helps the job go more easily and faster. I was ready to remove my tcase 20 years ago to install a SYE but a far more experienced friend (mrblaine) came over to help and said 'nope we'll keep it installed and it'll be easier'. He was right. What we did to make the job really easy was I backed the rear of my TJ up onto a pair of car ramps and we could then do the job on our knees or sitting on our butts instead of having to lay on our backs.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 04:21 PM
sh00ttok1ll

In the Jeep, no question. I had the Jeep on a lift too and was surprised how quick it seemed to go. I think I had it done in a couple hours and I had no experience with it.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I’ve installed three SYEs over the past 10 years. Once with the tcase in the rig and twice by removing the tcase and installing the SYE on a work bench.

If you don’t have a lift then I recommend removing the tcase from your rig for the install. The tcase is light and can be easily removed from your rig and reinstalled without the need for a jack. Make sure you buy a 9/16” ratcheting wrench to separate the tcase from the transmission. Might as well install a cable shifter too since the shifter linkage will be removed.

My last SYE install took three hours from start to finish. I am 6’3” so removing the transfer case and reinstalling is a simple task.

The process would be much more time consuming if you require a jack to remove/install the tcase.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 04:49 PM
Stumptown
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I took mine out. But I am one of those crazy people who like to clean everything when I am working on it. With it out, I was able to scrub the case clean.

Pulling the case probably adds about an hour to the process. Scrubbing the case added a bunch more time.

Easy process, but make sure you have the proper set of snap ring pliers. A set of internal snap ring pliers and flat nose ring pliers. The snap rings are the worst part of the job.

And no lift needed for the job. A floor jack will be okay if you choose to remove the case.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 06:02 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptown View Post
I took mine out. But I am one of those crazy people who like to clean everything when I am working on it. With it out, I was able to scrub the case clean.

Pulling the case probably adds about an hour to the process. Scrubbing the case added a bunch more time.
It stayed clean until the next regular Oregon rainstorm.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 07:01 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The hard part is getting the retaining clips off especially if you don't have the right tools, that is irrelevant on if it is mounted or not.
Personally I did it with it installed

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM
ffej

I'm not familiar with the manual transmission to t-case mounting, but is there a seal in the adapter like there is in the auto-equipped TJs? I had to replace the seal in my auto-equipped TJ which developed a slow drip at the seal. Replacing it required pulling the t-case.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2020, 10:26 PM
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine out

I'm generally a very pragmatic person: that which works, works. -- Linus Torvalds
post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 08:23 AM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I took mine out as I had a slightly leak at the output of the transmission; it is very easy to take out. I have also installed SYE's while still in the Jeep when there were no issues seen.

I recommend these pliers.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto...s%2C134&sr=8-8
post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 09:07 AM
tworley

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Left mine in. I had no trouble installing it.

Colorado Member 307
post #13 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It it is then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
X2, definitely keep the tcase installed which helps the job go more easily and faster. I was ready to remove my tcase 20 years ago to install a SYE but a far more experienced friend (mrblaine) came over to help and said 'nope we'll keep it installed and it'll be easier'. He was right. What we did to make the job really easy was I backed the rear of my TJ up onto a pair of car ramps and we could then do the job on our knees or sitting on our butts instead of having to lay on our backs.

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for that, sound good enough for me. Since my friend has a two post vehicle hoist, so that I can have it all at a good working height, sounds like the best way to go. He also owns a set of those flash flat clip ring pliers that I will need.

From what others have said, it sounds like it will take 2-4 hours depending on how things come apart, which is good, so I should be able to finish it up in day. That is good as the Jeep is my only transport, so once it is in bits, I am committed until it is running again.

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in