squeaky drive shaft - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

squeaky drive shaft

I did several searches and didn't see exactly what I'm looking for. Today, I noticed a rasping squeaky sound in my drive train. I put the rear end on jack stands and immediately isolated the sound to the rear drive shaft (I have a tom woods double cardin with SYE). I got some wd-40 and sprayed it around the ball and it went away. Later on it came back and I sprayed it again, this time more liberally. I called Tom Woods and they didn't have any answers except to send it back. Does the ball need to be lubed from time to time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How long as the shaft been in the Jeep? The center ball may need replacing. But more likely a U-Joint probably needs to be replaced. Is there any play in it? Have you been greasing the joints regularly?

- Luke
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's practically brand new, less than 500 miles on it. I think I just found my answer: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...eshaft-656635/

My centering ball has these little grease points like the picture in this thread. Now all I need is the basket ball needle to put down into the grease points on the ball joint. I love this forum....

post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started getting a squeaking noise today and sounds like its coming from the rear driveshaft. Does yours start to squeak on early acceleration(0-about 20(?)mph) or what/when/all the time?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It stopped after I lubed it. Raise your rear end and put it on jack stands. Start the jeep and put it in gear, make sure you're in two wheel drive! Make sure the jeep is not going to fall of the stands and then get below and see if you can isolate where your squeak is coming from. Could be u joints or if it's like mine, a dry ball joint.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ouch! Raise your rear end..... a dry ball joint....

C.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
I started getting a squeaking noise today and sounds like its coming from the rear driveshaft. Does yours start to squeak on early acceleration(0-about 20(?)mph) or what/when/all the time?
Yes, it's most noticeable at low speed and when you accelerate.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
scarbogarage
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem with my rear double cardigan shaft. The centering ball is squeaking. I called Tom Woods and the tech talked me through greasing each point. When I let him know I had done all that he looked up my file. He saw my shaft was within the 180 day warranty he agreed to ship me out two new u-joints and a centering ball kit. I haven't received the kit yet so will see when I get it. Their customer service is excellent!! So Far.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Dutra177
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
I get that same squeaking at low speeds on my stock DS how can you grease theme they have no grease fittings (zerk fitting)

Tri-City Jeep Club Member #68
2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon
We're gonna make Jeepers out of you!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get underneath and coat down the u joint and ball with lube. If the squeak goes away you know that it needs to be greased and the u joints may not need to be replaced. You can put your rear end on jack stands and carefully accelerate. This will help you isolate the squeak. If the ball and or u joints are in fact needing lube, there are some microscopic zerk holes on the ball, at least my ball that is. I took a needle attachment on a grease gun and filled the ball up with lube. Issue resolved. Do a search for ball joint lube, etc and there are some pic's out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in